Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    During the updating of the modem files in sconix's walkthrough, the process jammed and I had to restart my phone. Now it only comes up as 'phone offline' and I'm unable to get it off this. I've tried cycling through aeroplane mode, restarting my phone and doing a fresh install of WebOS. Before WebOSDoctor completes, it says 'Unable to reset your phone'. When I restart the phone after this it looks like it wants to start the profile login, but still says 'Phone offline' in the corner and has an error 'Phone error - Your phone is experiencing an error that cannot be resolved'.

Any advice?
    i got taht very same error on my pre.. not sure what else to try now.. :/
    If the flashing of modem does not go through the modem will stay offline. So you need to flash it successfully. If the flash stalls try with -o parameter.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    If the flashing of modem does not go through the modem will stay offline. So you need to flash it successfully. If the flash stalls try with -o parameter.
    The problem now is getting it to a point where I can try flashing it again. It stalls trying to load the Palm Profile screen, still saying Phone Offline. When I try to connect with Novaterm I can get in after the WebOSDoctor has failed but can't see any files in the media/internal folder and can't connect with USB Drive.

Would just running 'PmModemUpdater' have any effect or are their any commands I can run from here?
    HI ,

where do you download the 1.3.5.2 WebOS doctor from?

thanks

gm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon Mich View Post
    where do you download the 1.3.5.2 WebOS doctor from?
    Hi, as mentioned a couple of pages back, go here for all available versions of WebOSDoctor.
    I did the same and it doesn't work perfect, the phone can't keep it's connection with KPN and turns on-off every 20 sec. Do I have to do this procedure with the sim and rsc in the phone or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    The problem now is getting it to a point where I can try flashing it again. It stalls trying to load the Palm Profile screen, still saying Phone Offline. When I try to connect with Novaterm I can get in after the WebOSDoctor has failed but can't see any files in the media/internal folder and can't connect with USB Drive.

Would just running 'PmModemUpdater' have any effect or are their any commands I can run from here?
    As long as you can connect with novaterm you can reflash the modem. But I don't follow what are you trying to do since you are talking about WebOSDoctor failing etc. Or are you trying some other method than mine? Since mine did not involved using a Doctor and was meant to be done on a already installed 1.4.0 phone. For me even thou the modem flashing failed couple times when I was experimenting with the correct flags the phone always started normally, but the phone stayed offline which is logical if there is no properly flashed fw for the modem. But when the flash went OK then everything was once again working like they should.
    Quote Originally Posted by zuida044 View Post
    I did the same and it doesn't work perfect, the phone can't keep it's connection with KPN and turns on-off every 20 sec. Do I have to do this procedure with the sim and rsc in the phone or not?
    If you are talking about flashing the modem then I don't think it matters. I did it with RSC in the phone. It is just simple procedure of placing a new firmware for the modem and if you have taken it from the correct Doctor file and flashed successfully the modem should work as it did in the previous version.
    I did the sconix method, and as I didnt get results, I did the epidemic variant (#232), and I waited for more than 30 minutes.... Didnt get results neither.
    I'll try again today.. The method has given good result for other guys, and has a smart logic, so I'll try until it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by enrconc View Post
    I did the sconix method, and as I didnt get results, I did the epidemic variant (#232), and I waited for more than 30 minutes.... Didnt get results neither.
    I'll try again today.. The method has given good result for other guys, and has a smart logic, so I'll try until it works.
    Make sure you include the -o parameter and that you wait until you get the command line back, takes a good few minutes.
    PmModemUpdater -m -e -o </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar

Good luck
    Who can explain to me what happened with my network?

I was using my Movistar pre with a sim of a norwegian company, i was using 2G without problems atl least 3 days, and today i had to pass the border with Sweden and right now when i came back to Norway only SOS appear.

Y tried everything...manual select network, airplane mode ...but nothing.

Ant idea?
    As long as you can connect with novaterm you can reflash the modem. But I don't follow what are you trying to do since you are talking about WebOSDoctor failing etc. Or are you trying some other method than mine? Since mine did not involved using a Doctor and was meant to be done on a already installed 1.4.0 phone. For me even thou the modem flashing failed couple times when I was experimenting with the correct flags the phone always started normally, but the phone stayed offline which is logical if there is no properly flashed fw for the modem. But when the flash went OK then everything was once again working like they should.
    When I couldn't get the modem flash to work properly with any combination of the flags, I tried to Doctor the phone to see if it would work and now it won't start correctly.

I guess my question from here is, is there any way to either reflash the modem or to get the phone to start correctly if it can't load the Palm Profile screen properly?
    1st of all many many thanks to sconix
    I have my Virgin Mobile+RSC working fine with this method run Windows 7 64Bit, webos 1.4 with 1.3.5.2 castleumtsfw.

For folks with Windows 7, I have the following recommendations :

Use the offical Novacom command line (not novaterm) as its much more stable. I first tried a few times with the Novaterm which gave the "Phone offline" problem & flashing took around 10 mins with wild cursor movements on the screen of novaterm.

Novacom command line is already installed as a part of the webdoctor stuff and supports copy+paste !
    So from a command prompt type :

cd C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc\novacom
    novacom -t open tty://
    rootfs_open -w
    ...continue with original steps..ie
    mv /media/internal/castle***fw.tar /tmp
    PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castle***fw.tar

With Nova command line, it takes around 2mins & phone worked right away !
    & I did not use the -o option

Atleast now I can use the phone while waiting for 02 to give me a unlock code

To all those Windows users my second try in giving comprehensive guide for installing the modem firmware.

- First locate the correct castle modem firmware file from the previous working WebOS Doctor. Example: For GMS version of Pre it is castleumtsfw.tar that is located in resources/webOS.tar file. (You need to unpack the Doctor file with winzip and then untar the webOS.tar).

- Then connect your Pre with USB cable to your PC (it is also a good idea to reboot your Pre before starting this process).

- Then copy the castle***fw.tar into root of your Pre USB drive (Pre needs to be in USB mode).

- After file is copied disconnect and connect your Pre again to get out of the USB mode.

- Then unzip the novaterm application somewhere and open command line and run the novaterm command from the unzipped directory.

- Now you should be connected to your Pre. First move the file into /tmp by executing:
    mv /media/internal/castle***fw.tar /tmp

- Then start the modem updater by executing:
    PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castle***fw.tar

- Just sit back and wait couple minutes for the flashing procedure to finish. After the process is done reboot your Pre and hope for the best.

And of course replace the castle***fw.tar with the correct file name (it depends on the version of your Pre is it GSM or CDMA).

Links to novaterm for windows:
    32-bit: http://tkgeisel.com/stuff/novaterm-1.zip
    64-bit: http://vocshop.com/stuff/novaterm64.zip

Now if someone can test this and verify it works and maybe fill in the not so clear parts. I don't have Windows so I can not verify this process.

I tested this process twice in Linux and it worked but cannot test this on Windows! So do this on your own risk.

EDIT: it looks like the modem fw file needs to be away from the USB dir so I added moving it to the /tmp dir.
    Last edited by FunkiBluDawg; 03/04/2010 at 04:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by alberperez View Post
    Who can explain to me what happened with my network?

I was using my Movistar pre with a sim of a norwegian company, i was using 2G without problems atl least 3 days, and today i had to pass the border with Sweden and right now when i came back to Norway only SOS appear.

Y tried everything...manual select network, airplane mode ...but nothing.

Ant idea?
    Yes, you are required to live in Sweden from now on. Sorry about that
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocko View Post
    Make sure you include the -o parameter and that you wait until you get the command line back, takes a good few minutes.
    PmModemUpdater -m -e -o </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar

Good luck
    I did it again today. Here is what I find after webOS 1.4 on Pre O2, castleumtsfw.tar from 1.1.3

root@palm-webos-device:/# mv /media/internal/castleumtsfw.tar /tmp
    root@palm-webos-device:/# PmModemUpdater -m -e -o </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar
    $ Modem is powered-on
    Warning! Please make sure . ....
    Warning! You can potentially trashed...
    Warning! To stop it now, ctrl+c

PmModemUpdater Version 5.2.0.8 Dec. 2009 @Palm Inc

setting VERBOSE OFF
    $ Disable handshaking in ROM
    $ Resetting the modem before flashing....
    $ Open Port /dev/tts/modemdiag Failed!
    $ Open Port /dev/modemuart Failed!
    USB Enforced: Will try to acquire USB
    etc, etc..
    stopped after 50 Failed!

What have I done wrong..???
    Somebody help me.

AFTER THAT I TRYIED THE FunkiBluDawg variant (novacom instead novaterm

And I failed again... stopped after a lot of : Open Port /dev/tts/modemdiag Failed!

Somebody help me (2)

I can use my Palm Pre 1.4 but with "SOS only".
    Last edited by enrconc; 03/04/2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Add info... another trial
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Fantastic, it worked using Sconix's method!

O2 UK Palm Pre, 1.4 WebOS, RSCII.

I've got 3G back and Automatic Network selection works all fine. Confirmed, it works.

1- downloaded the WebOS Doctor from here: Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

2- unzipped the .jar file then in resources folder you'll find WebOS.tar. untar it and get your version of castle***fw.tar

3- connect your pre to your mac using the USB cable. move the castle***fw.tar to your phone by draging the file to your usb-pre drive on Mac

I have the Palm Pre SDK so Nova Term came with it. All I had to do was openning the terminal and typing the following:

Turned the phone to Developer Mode then typed the following in the terminal

Saleh-MacBookPro:~ saleh$ cd /opt/nova/bin
    Saleh-MacBookPro:bin saleh$ ./novaterm

to access the root on Palm Pre.

Then the rest is a piece of cake. you move the file to /tmp using the following command

4- root@palm-webos-device:/# mv /media/internal/castleumtsfw.tar /tmp

5- root@palm-webos-device:/# PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar

After you're done reboot your Palm Pre and enjoy the 1.4 goodness.

I'm running the O2 UK Palm Pre in Dubai, UAE. After applying the above it's been all fine. I make calls, receive calls, have 3G enabled, GPS enabled, and all is good. No issues as mentioned by other users who are complaining about GPS not working. All good in here...
  18.    #258  
    Quote Originally Posted by enrconc View Post
    I did it again today. Here is what I find after webOS 1.4 on Pre O2, castleumtsfw.tar from 1.1.3

root@palm-webos-device:/# mv /media/internal/castleumtsfw.tar /tmp
    root@palm-webos-device:/# PmModemUpdater -m -e -o </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar
    $ Modem is powered-on
    Warning! Please make sure . ....
    Warning! You can potentially trashed...
    Warning! To stop it now, ctrl+c

PmModemUpdater Version 5.2.0.8 Dec. 2009 @Palm Inc

setting VERBOSE OFF
    $ Disable handshaking in ROM
    $ Resetting the modem before flashing....
    $ Open Port /dev/modemuart Failed!
    USB Enforced: Will try to acquire USB
    etc, etc..
    stopped after 50 Failed!

What have I done wrong..???
    Somebody help me.

AFTER THAT I TRYIED THE FunkiBluDawg variant (novacom instead novaterm

And I failed again... stopped after a lot of : Open Port /dev/tts/modemdiag Failed!

Somebody help me (2)

I can use my Palm Pre 1.4 but with "SOS only".
    Try using different USB Ports and make several repeat attempts.

I suspect that Novaterm is fussy about USB timings so try closing down all apps on your PC also and perhaps reboot Pc before trying again.

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    When I couldn't get the modem flash to work properly with any combination of the flags, I tried to Doctor the phone to see if it would work and now it won't start correctly.

I guess my question from here is, is there any way to either reflash the modem or to get the phone to start correctly if it can't load the Palm Profile screen properly?
    I guess is what he is asking: how to get the castleumtsfw.tar file on the Pre while rooted, using novacomm, or novaterm. USB-drive access is no option because the pre would not start properly.

I am in the same boat. Phone offline. And the PRE reports a serious problem, and refuses to boot.
    [Edit]
    I managed to upload the file right after doctoring (but not restarting) using WQI: http://www.precentral.net/how-back-y...le-information
    Nevertheless did it not help. i get an error: $ Open port /dev/tts/modemdiag Failed!
    I guess this Pre is bricked...............
    Last edited by Richard Rosenberger; 03/06/2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: New developments
    Sconix, you´re the man
    This way now I have my pre working

So I got my Pre working again with the 1.4.0 WebOS and Rebel Simcard. I have 3g data working and I can receive calls etc. And so far I haven't noticed any problems with my method. All that I did was re-flashed the modem with an older firmware. I have the GSM UK version of the phone, but I suspect that this works for others also. Instructions for what I did:

- First I downloaded the older 1.3.5.2 WebOS doctor (the correct O2 version) since this was last version that worked for me.

- Then I unpacked it and located castleumtsfw.tar file by unpacking the webOS.tar under the resources folder.

- Next I copied the file into /tmp directory on my Pre using novacom.

- Then I connected to my phone using the novacom and entered the following command:

/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar

After 2 nerwrecking minutes the process was done and I had mine 3g working again. So no need to flash the whole OS, it is enough just to flash the modem fw.