Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Ok. I am now on 1.4 via OTA update. I have successfully flashed the modem firmware with the Sconix method and the -o parameter, worked perfectly.

All seems ok so far, but still wary as it was fine for a while after I upgraded before, but then went to SOS Only after a while. I'll report back in an hour or so.
    Ok, sorry to ask but I can't seem to fathom this bit - How do I down load the 1.3.5.2 stuff to extract the file - I can only seem to launch the java thing from the web? Could someone show me the wood because all I can see are the trees!

or better still just give me a link to the castleumtsfw.tar :-)

M
    Quote Originally Posted by maff2k View Post
    Ok, sorry to ask but I can't seem to fathom this bit - How do I down load the 1.3.5.2 stuff to extract the file - I can only seem to launch the java thing from the web? Could someone show me the wood because all I can see are the trees!

M
    Here you go:
    Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by maff2k View Post

M
    Probably what you mean is; the 1.3.5.2 stuff is in the jar files that Sconix has pointed you to. If you double click on them, they open the program, but that's not what you want. Right click and open the jar file in Winzip or similar. In there, you'll find the file you need.
    Well my 1.4 version still appears to be stable, no sign of SOS Only. Still having problems though. Mostly..

All of my apps disappeared, as per:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-4-update.html

GPS appears unable to locate me. Have any of you other guys that have already upgraded using this method had any problems with GPS?

I can't get WQI to work properly because it needs the GNU patch. I was going to install the GNU patch via Preware, but Preware won't work because it says the Package Manager Service isn't running, even though I have installed it and rebooted. Have tried it twice now and it still won't work
    For me everything is running smoothly, but I doctored directly into 1.4.0. I had the package manager not running in the beginning, but first boot fixed that. And the GPS is working just fine with this 1.4.0 + modem fw from 1.3.5.2 combination.

The only thing I could add is that Preware + Pacakge manager seems to have some small problems from time to time so maybe they have some bug still related to 1.4.0. Anyway they work most of the time well so not a problem for me.
    I have a O2 UK Pre and I'm using now Richard Rosenberger method.
    People is telling me that i'm missing calls. They hear it ringing but I don't get the call. I suppose that when it happens because the phone resets for some bug or problem or incompatibility with UMTS radio firmware in the Sprint version.

I'm going to try sconix method now and will post report results.

EDIT: It seems to work fine until now. 3G working and no roaming.
    Last edited by Frankk; 03/03/2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Doctoring 1.4 + sconix method results
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocko View Post

I can't get WQI to work properly because it needs the GNU patch. I was going to install the GNU patch via Preware, but Preware won't work because it says the Package Manager Service isn't running, even though I have installed it and rebooted. Have tried it twice now and it still won't work
    I'm was getting the same problem, now when I update preware the following error message comes up: "failure during 'update' operation ipkg_conf_init: failed to create temporary directory '(null)': Read-only file system".

I've had a few issues when following the method that may account for this:
    1. Due to my own impatience I extracted castleumtsfw.tar from a meta-doctored 1.3.5.2 webos doctor rather than downloading it afresh.
    2. The first time I tried to flash the modem the process stopped at a certain stage at 6%. Though it worked the second time.

can you collaborate?
    Quote Originally Posted by talalal View Post
    I'm was getting the same problem, now when I update preware the following error message comes up: "failure during 'update' operation ipkg_conf_init: failed to create temporary directory '(null)': Read-only file system".

I've had a few issues when following the method that may account for this:
    1. Due to my own impatience I extracted castleumtsfw.tar from a meta-doctored 1.3.5.2 webos doctor rather than downloading it afresh.
    2. The first time I tried to flash the modem the process stopped at a certain stage at 6%. Though it worked the second time.

can you collaborate?
    If you are trying to say that the package manager / preware problems are somehow connected to flashing of modem I would like to say strong differentiating opinion I think there cannot be a connection there. The package manager has been giving problems to others too (without the modem flashing) including me before the flashing. There has been some odd problems with package manager / preware with 1.4.0. Currently it is working for me thou after I installed the updated PM and Preware.
    Thanks to sconix for the pointers! I had to do it a slightly different way, though.

'PmModemUpdate -m -e -o <castleumtsfw.tar' didn't work for me. It kept saying:
    '$ Open Port /dev/tts/modemdiag Failed'. Leaving it to do that for a while eventually bailed out after saying 'Warning: Phone status is Unknown'.

Essentially, the way I got it working in the end was to use the force option:

PmModemUpdate </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar -f

And it just worked first time! I now have a fully-functiong Pre running 1.4.0 using a RSC and a T-Mobile UK SIM :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    So I got my Pre working again with the 1.4.0 WebOS and Rebel Simcard.
    sconix, you the man!

I followed your instructions, using WebOS QuickInstall:

1) Downloaded WebOS 1.3.5.2
    2) Upgraded my Pre to 1.4 OTA
    3) When done upgrading, Roaming with no 3G.
    4) Unpacked 1.3.5.2, extracted castleumtsfw.tar
    5) Put Pre in developer mode and connected to PC
    6) Opened QuickInstall, and using Tools->Send File sent castleumtsfw.tar to /tmp
    7) Opened the command line using Tools->Linux Commandline and typed the following command: PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar
    8) Waited 5 minutes (looks like nothing is happening, but don't worry)
    9) Got a message telling me update was complete, but had I lost power during the update it would have been bad.
    10) Now have 3G working. Yeah baby!

Hope this lasts...
    I have just tried to use my sim-locked O2 UK Palm Pre here on Optus in Australia with Rebel SIM on WebOS 1.4 for the first time (no doctoring so far).

I get a roaming symbol but it connects OK to the network. I can make calls but when I try to call the Pre it goes to voicemail. I can send and receive SMS' OK as well. I don't have a data hookup on this account yet to test out.

Can anyone offer input as to if the problems I'm having so far (roaming, can't seem to call the phone) seem linked to the larger problem with Rebel and 1.4?
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    I have just tried to use my sim-locked O2 UK Palm Pre here on Optus in Australia with Rebel SIM on WebOS 1.4 for the first time (no doctoring so far).

I get a roaming symbol but it connects OK to the network. I can make calls but when I try to call the Pre it goes to voicemail. I can send and receive SMS' OK as well. I don't have a data hookup on this account yet to test out.

Can anyone offer input as to if the problems I'm having so far (roaming, can't seem to call the phone) seem linked to the larger problem with Rebel and 1.4?
    With RSC and 1.4.0 you cannot receive calls and use 3G unless you set the phone to use 2G networks only from the phone preferences or do the modem firmware flash procedure described here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    With RSC and 1.4.0 you cannot receive calls and use 3G unless you set the phone to use 2G networks only from the phone preferences or do the modem firmware flash procedure described here.
    Gotcha, thanks. I set my phone to 2G only and can now make calls to it. I'll try the Windows method you described earlier and see how it goes.

Is the roaming icon I get likely related to this as well?
    sos problems here after rosenbergers method. 3g and phone works most of the time but to unreliable for my taste
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    Gotcha, thanks. I set my phone to 2G only and can now make calls to it. I'll try the Windows method you described earlier and see how it goes.

Is the roaming icon I get likely related to this as well?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by toshabuser View Post
    sos problems here after rosenbergers method. 3g and phone works most of the time but to unreliable for my taste
    Others reported that too. So far my method has worked and there is no reason why it should not, since it reverts the modem fw back to the older version that the RSC likes.
    Thanks so much for this.

I just got it working with an O2 phone RSC and on Telstra (Australia) and Roaming (That's a Telstra issue)
    Quote Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
    Thanks so much for this.

I just got it working with an O2 phone RSC and on Telstra (Australia) and Roaming (That's a Telstra issue)
    When you're on Telstra and your phone is reporting roaming, are you charged roaming rates?