Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocko View Post
    Yeah I make sure the file is in /tmp each time. You say safe as the phone stays in offline mode.. if it fails again, how do I get it out of offline mode?
    Safe in a sense that you can try again. And I am pretty sure that in the end if it just keeps failing, you can always use doctor to get it working again. So safe in that sense. I don't know what doctor does differently when flashing the modem since, but I just think it might be that the doctor comes with it own novacom which might work more stable than the one you have installed.
    57% and failed again. When it's about to fail the cursor starts moving about irratically with each percentage increase, like it's having some kind of sync problem. And then it hangs with the cursor in the position after the % symbol.
    57% and failed again. When it's about to fail the cursor starts moving about irratically with each percentage increase, like it's having some kind of sync problem. And then it hangs with the cursor in the position after the % symbol.
    I guess you have tried restarting your PC and different USB port if it some kind of USB problem?
    I have restarted both the PC and the phone, I hadn't tried a different port. Can do that.

I was going to paste the terminal log here, but the copy function in Novaterm doesn't even work :-S
    I have restarted both the PC and the phone, I hadn't tried a different port. Can do that.

I was going to paste the terminal log here, but the copy function in Novaterm doesn't even work :-S
    Then maybe there is out some newer / different version of novaterm for Windows that work better. If the USB port changing does not help..
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    I guess you have tried restarting your PC and different USB port if it some kind of USB problem?
    o2 user on 3

Windows user

Used sconix method and it worked on the third attempt.

Has same problem as Stocko with hanging and erratic cursor.

On the successful attempt I kept selecting the Novaterm window (was thinking maybe that would keep the process alive).

Can't say if that did it but it work on that occasion.

Thanks for all your help people.
    I just installed the terminal app on the pre and ran the update from there. Went through ok. By the way, I left the file in /media/internal this time and it worked fine from there.

So Griffinx was saying that the terminal app doesn't work yet in 1.4. It says here that terminus can be used instead? Whatever that is..
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2276127
    I just installed the terminal app on the pre and ran the update from there. Went through ok. By the way, I left the file in /media/internal this time and it worked fine from there.

So Griffinx was saying that the terminal app doesn't work yet in 1.4. It says here that terminus can be used instead? Whatever that is..
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr....4#post2276127
    I could not find a way to create the < symbol in terminus, I would have otherwise tried this method too. Just to let you know if you decide to go 1.4.0 now there's problem with this method.
    Gawd, this was all seeming so simple :-S Maybe I should just wait for terminal to be fixed then
    Tried it on my laptop. Also hung on AMSS at 78%. Seems like Terminal, or a Unix/Linux based PC (is that what you're using Sconix?) are the only reliable ways.
    Tried it on my laptop. Also hung on AMSS at 78%. Seems like Terminal, or a Unix/Linux based PC (is that what you're using Sconix?) are the only reliable ways.
    Yes I have 64-bit Linux based PC, but I had the idea that at least some have succeeded with Windows & novaterm too. Maybe it also depends if you have W7 or XP or something related to 32bit/64bit etc. It is good if the process works using the terminal on phone which makes this once more much easier process when the terminal app is updated, but still odd that if the novaterm fails to deliver in Windows.

Did you try the -o switch to the pmmodemupdater. It should suppress the verbose output so maybe it could help. Who knows if it is just that there's some odd character that the novaterm does not like.
    I am on Windows 7 on both desktop and laptop, desktop is 64 bit, laptop is 32 bit. I tried both. Yeah I can give the -o a go, yeah could well be just down to screen not updating properly rather than anything wrong in the data flow.

Don't get me wrong, think it's fantastic you found the fix. Just annoying that it's so close but can't quite get it to work.
    Just used the -o parameter. Worked first time. Looks like a goer
    OK thats good to hear Don't know why I did not throw out this suggestion earlier since I thought about it at some point.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    To all those Windows users my second try in giving comprehensive guide for installing the modem firmware.

- First locate the correct castle modem firmware file from the previous working WebOS Doctor. Example: For GMS version of Pre it is castleumtsfw.tar that is located in resources/webOS.tar file. (You need to unpack the Doctor file with winzip and then untar the webOS.tar).

- Then connect your Pre with USB cable to your PC (it is also a good idea to reboot your Pre before starting this process).

- Then copy the castle***fw.tar into root of your Pre USB drive (Pre needs to be in USB mode).

- After file is copied disconnect and connect your Pre again to get out of the USB mode.

- Then unzip the novaterm application somewhere and open command line and run the novaterm command from the unzipped directory.

- Now you should be connected to your Pre. First move the file into /tmp by executing:
    mv /media/internal/castle***fw.tar /tmp

- Then start the modem updater by executing:
    PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castle***fw.tar

- Just sit back and wait couple minutes for the flashing procedure to finish. After the process is done reboot your Pre and hope for the best.

And of course replace the castle***fw.tar with the correct file name (it depends on the version of your Pre is it GSM or CDMA).

Links to novaterm for windows:
    32-bit: http://tkgeisel.com/stuff/novaterm-1.zip
    64-bit: http://vocshop.com/stuff/novaterm64.zip

Now if someone can test this and verify it works and maybe fill in the not so clear parts. I don't have Windows so I can not verify this process.

I tested this process twice in Linux and it worked but cannot test this on Windows! So do this on your own risk.

EDIT: it looks like the modem fw file needs to be away from the USB dir so I added moving it to the /tmp dir.

Good stuff!

1] Though in post#207 you state "Went through ok" but then in post#210 you state "Also hung on AMSS at 78%" ....confused.com

2] For us normal people , where would one modify sconix's steps above in order to accommodate the the -o parameter. I am totally new to this...
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post

Good stuff!

1] Though in post#207 you state "Went through ok" but then in post#210 you state "Also hung on AMSS at 78%" ....confused.com

2] For us normal people , where would one modify sconix's steps above in order to accommodate the the -o parameter. I am totally new to this...
    1] The "went through ok" referred to when I had the Terminal app installed on the Pre itself (i.e. a unix command line on your handset). But the Terminal app does not work on 1.4 apparently, so that's no good (I am trying things BEFORE upgrading to 1.4).

2] The normal person command line should now read:
    /usr/bin/PmModemInstaller -m -e -o </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar

Good luck! I think I'm going to go for 1.4 now. Eek!
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Okay, being real picky here but the original line:

Differs from your line:

/usr/bin/PmModemInstaller -m -e -o </tmp/castle****fw.tar

Notably PmModemUpdater vs PmModemInstaller

Any significance?

Can you tell I'm a total noob?
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Okay, being real picky here but the original line:

Differs from your line:

/usr/bin/PmModemInstaller -m -e -o </tmp/castle****fw.tar

Notably PmModemUpdater vs PmModemInstaller

Any significance?

Can you tell I'm a total noob?
    No such thing as PmModemInstaller so it's a typo The full command is then:
    PmModemUpdater -m -e -o </tmp/caste***fw.tar

The /usr/bin should be part of the path, but it does not hurt to call it with the full path.
    Sorry, my mistake. The only difference should be the -o
    I've had to enter the command about 10 or 15 times, you'd think I'd have got it right by now!