webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Rebel & 1.4 not working
Rebel & 1.4 not working

Old 03/03/2010, 03:41 AM   #181 (permalink)

Isn't the O2 firmware for UK and Ireland the same? In that case the 1.3.5.2 modem file would be IMO sufficient.
czechdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2010, 04:12 AM   #182 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconix View Post
So I got my Pre working again with the 1.4.0 WebOS and Rebel Simcard. I have 3g data working and I can receive calls etc. And so far I haven't noticed any problems with my method. All that I did was re-flashed the modem with an older firmware. I have the GSM UK version of the phone, but I suspect that this works for others also. Instructions for what I did:

- First I downloaded the older 1.3.5.2 WebOS doctor (the correct O2 version) since this was last version that worked for me.

- Then I unpacked it and located castleumtsfw.tar file by unpacking the webOS.tar under the resources folder.

- Next I copied the file into /tmp directory on my Pre using novacom.

- Then I connected to my phone using the novacom and entered the following command:

/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar

After 2 nerwrecking minutes the process was done and I had mine 3g working again. So no need to flash the whole OS, it is enough just to flash the modem fw.
Just tried running your command
in WOSQI. It seemed to work...gave me some warnings and asked me to press ^c to stop the process but when I rebooted I'm still in roaming and it doesnt seem to have worked. Should it have returned with a confirmation that it had sucessfully updated the firmware?

Gx
Griffinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2010, 04:29 AM   #183 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
Having spent the afternoon looking at the 1.3.5 and 1.4 webos doctors looking for some differences in the Modem settings I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what I am looking for *sigh*
Paul, I am guessing sconix's solution is what you are after!

For those that it's worked for, please post of confirmation.
EDIT: ah, damn, just seen Griffinx's post above ^

Also, is anyone able to distribute/upload a working solution? Or is that ...erm, 'against the rules'?
I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to using novacom commands and file management!
c_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2010, 04:29 AM   #184 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascalon View Post
Just to add to the knowledge base here, my O2 Irelabd locked GSM Pre updated OTR to 1.4 and now alos will not work with the Rebel SIM on Vodafone IRL.

I have this minute put the SIM into my SIM only into a SE Satio and it works fine, so the SIM is all OK.

Based on the experiences of others here with mode switching on the RSC, I don't think I'll bother farting about with that as it seems not to produce any consistent results.

Can I ask, which WebDoctor version would be best to tackle the modem file switch for an Irish O2 Pre to work with the RSC?

Thanks
A
When flashing only the modem then you can take the fw file from last working version. So for Irish O2 you can take it from 1.3.5.2 version of the O2 webos doctor.
sconix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2010, 04:32 AM   #185 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
Just tried running your command
in WOSQI. It seemed to work...gave me some warnings and asked me to press ^c to stop the process but when I rebooted I'm still in roaming and it doesnt seem to have worked. Should it have returned with a confirmation that it had sucessfully updated the firmware?

Gx
Last night I tried the WQI console, but somehow it seemed like it stops the Modem Updater process. So maybe it has to be started over novacom connection.

Since normally you should see the whole process while it flashes, but WQI did not show that only the ctrl-c warning was shown. At least the process should show when it is done flashing and how long it took.
Old 03/03/2010, 04:40 AM   #186 (permalink)

For those that have Linux the process of copying the fw and installing is very straight forward process. You only need to have novacom installed and your Pre connected with USB then you can use the following commands:

novacom put file:///tmp/castleumtsfw.tar <castleumtsfw.tar
(the latter castleumtsfw.tar of course needs to be full path where ever you have the file)

novacom open tty://

And then just type the PmModemUpdater command. Too bad it isn't this easy in Windows.

EDIT: Novacom on Windows - WebOS Internals According to this the novacom command line binary is there in Windows too so maybe those above command would work there too.

Last edited by sconix; 03/03/2010 at 04:52 AM.
Thanked By: pbox
Old 03/03/2010, 04:48 AM   #187 (permalink)

OK, I've just downgraded successfully without losing any data, so **** that for a game of soldiers, I'll wait until the RSC supports 1.4.

However, the downgrade is back to 1.3.1, which is a bit of an ****. I can download 1.3.5 locally and use WebOS Doctor to update that way?

A
Old 03/03/2010, 04:52 AM   #188 (permalink)

Quote:
Last night I tried the WQI console, but somehow it seemed like it stops the Modem Updater process. So maybe it has to be started over novacom connection.

Since normally you should see the whole process while it flashes, but WQI did not show that only the ctrl-c warning was shown. At least the process should show when it is done flashing and how long it took.
Yeah I think you need to do it via Novaterm to see the progress etc..this worked for me perfectly. Nice to have 1.4 GSM phone back working. One side effect is that all my streaming apps are now working again. None of them worked while I was flashed to the Sprint 1.4

Gx
Old 03/03/2010, 05:37 AM   #189 (permalink)

I'm a Windows user. To access Novaterm do I have to go through all this SDK business?
Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

Or could I just install a terminal app on the pre itself and run the PmModemUpdater command from there once the castleumtsfw.tar is in the /tmp dir?
Stocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2010, 05:38 AM   #190 (permalink)

Quote:
Now if some brave one would try replacing the modem tar file in WebOS Doctor image and see if it works that way too (I think it'll will).
Anyone brave enough to give this a go?

Quote:
- Then I unpacked it and located castleumtsfw.tar file by unpacking the webOS.tar under the resources folder.

- Next I copied the file into /tmp directory on my Pre using novacom.

- Then I connected to my phone using the novacom and entered the following command:

/usr/bin/PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castleumtsfw.tar.
Is anyone able to break the above steps down in to a dummies/noob guide..?
I'm running OSX Snow Leopard and Windows 7 if that helps.
c_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2010, 05:49 AM   #191 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocko View Post
I'm a Windows user. To access Novaterm do I have to go through all this SDK business?
Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

Or could I just install a terminal app on the pre itself and run the PmModemUpdater command from there once the castleumtsfw.tar is in the /tmp dir?
I think the terminal app is broken on the Pre since 1.4... webOS Internals said it'll be fixed in a few days.

Gx
Old 03/03/2010, 06:11 AM   #192 (permalink)

To all those Windows users my second try in giving comprehensive guide for installing the modem firmware.

- First locate the correct castle modem firmware file from the previous working WebOS Doctor. Example: For GMS version of Pre it is castleumtsfw.tar that is located in resources/webOS.tar file. (You need to unpack the Doctor file with winzip and then untar the webOS.tar).

- Then connect your Pre with USB cable to your PC (it is also a good idea to reboot your Pre before starting this process).

- Then copy the castle***fw.tar into root of your Pre USB drive (Pre needs to be in USB mode).

- After file is copied disconnect and connect your Pre again to get out of the USB mode.

- Then unzip the novaterm application somewhere and open command line and run the novaterm command from the unzipped directory.

- Now you should be connected to your Pre. First move the file into /tmp by executing:
mv /media/internal/castle***fw.tar /tmp

- Then start the modem updater by executing:
PmModemUpdater -m -e </tmp/castle***fw.tar

- Just sit back and wait couple minutes for the flashing procedure to finish. After the process is done reboot your Pre and hope for the best.

And of course replace the castle***fw.tar with the correct file name (it depends on the version of your Pre is it GSM or CDMA).

Links to novaterm for windows:
32-bit: http://tkgeisel.com/stuff/novaterm-1.zip
64-bit: http://vocshop.com/stuff/novaterm64.zip

Now if someone can test this and verify it works and maybe fill in the not so clear parts. I don't have Windows so I can not verify this process.

I tested this process twice in Linux and it worked but cannot test this on Windows! So do this on your own risk.

EDIT: it looks like the modem fw file needs to be away from the USB dir so I added moving it to the /tmp dir.

Last edited by sconix; 03/03/2010 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03/03/2010, 06:27 AM   #193 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_man View Post
Paul, I am guessing sconix's solution is what you are after!

For those that it's worked for, please post of confirmation.
EDIT: ah, damn, just seen Griffinx's post above ^

Also, is anyone able to distribute/upload a working solution? Or is that ...erm, 'against the rules'?
I'm not particularly savvy when it comes to using novacom commands and file management!
I have decided to take this opportunity to send the Pre back for repair as the Oreo has got so bad the volume continually switches back and forth between earpiece and headphones.

5-7 working days and I shall join the good fight.

Why can Palm not just provide an unlock code for those of us who are not on an O2 contract, but have ponied up the cash to buy the phone off contract. All they are doing in my opinion is making me tell people the Pre is not as good as it should be - and I am a massive geek who is continually preaching to everyone I know and meet about good/bad tech.

Shame...
paulhelyerpre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: pansovic
Old 03/03/2010, 06:32 AM   #194 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
I...
Why can Palm not just provide an unlock code for those of us who are not on an O2 contract, but have ponied up the cash to buy the phone off contract. All they are doing in my opinion is making me tell people the Pre is not as good as it should be - and I am a massive geek who is continually preaching to everyone I know and meet about good/bad tech.

Shame...
Well it's not completely Palm's fault. This selling with contract just seems to be the name of the game right now. Personally I blame Apple for this nonsense I can only hope that O2 offers unlocking after the contract period has gone as it did for Iphones so I don't need to use RSC forever.
Old 03/03/2010, 06:35 AM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
Well it's not completely Palm's fault. This selling with contract just seems to be the name of the game right now. Personally I blame Apple for this nonsense I can only hope that O2 offers unlocking after the contract period has gone as it did for Iphones so I don't need to use RSC forever.
I blame Apple for most nonsense.

I have submitted the unlock code request form on the O2 site which lists the Pre as an option. Did that on Monday and it says you will hear within 10 days.

They will only keep the sim lock in place for as long as they have exclusivity (I would assume). After that, there is no reason for them to keep it.

Mumble mumble Apple mumble O2 mumble *sigh*

Last edited by paulhelyerpre; 03/03/2010 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Space before a comma? How rude.
paulhelyerpre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2010, 07:00 AM   #196 (permalink)

Just to confirm Sconix's method worked fine on my Pre - I have a Rebel Sim in mode 1 with Virgin Mobile (with a UK o2 locked Pre).
ftilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2010, 07:04 AM   #197 (permalink)

I am being cautious; I am still on 1.3.5.2 and am trying the Sconix method of flashing the modem update BEFORE I go to 1.4. I have tried 3 times and the process keeps failing, my phone was in "Phone Offline" mode after the first 2 attempts, but it is now online again even though the last attempt still failed.

It gets through the flashing process (ARMPRG, Bootloader, etc) as far as AMSS. This shows a percentage which slowly increases. It gets so far and then hangs. The first time it got to 17% and then hung. The second time it got to 53%. The last time it got to 95%. I guess I'll try again as I'm a glutton for punishment! Is Novaterm just unstable?
Old 03/03/2010, 07:07 AM   #198 (permalink)

P.S. I DO realise doing the flash update in 1.3.5.2 won't achieve anything, I am just trying to prove the process before I upgrade.
Old 03/03/2010, 07:13 AM   #199 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocko View Post
I am being cautious; I am still on 1.3.5.2 and am trying the Sconix method of flashing the modem update BEFORE I go to 1.4. I have tried 3 times and the process keeps failing, my phone was in "Phone Offline" mode after the first 2 attempts, but it is now online again even though the last attempt still failed.

It gets through the flashing process (ARMPRG, Bootloader, etc) as far as AMSS. This shows a percentage which slowly increases. It gets so far and then hangs. The first time it got to 17% and then hung. The second time it got to 53%. The last time it got to 95%. I guess I'll try again as I'm a glutton for punishment! Is Novaterm just unstable?
At least the process seems to be quite safe since failing only means that phone stays in offline mode, but after succesful flashing it'll start working again. You did copy the file to /tmp? At least on /media/internal I got read error and the flash process was interrupted, but otherwise I have no done it 4 times without any errors so at least on Linux the novaterm/novacom works perfectly.
Old 03/03/2010, 07:17 AM   #200 (permalink)

Yeah I make sure the file is in /tmp each time. You say safe as the phone stays in offline mode.. if it fails again, how do I get it out of offline mode?

Tags
rebel sim

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0