Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    all of you saying it takes the same time to load an app... are idiots. before 1.4, when clicking an app it would remain highlighted for about 2 seconds, then nothing would happen for another 2 seconds, and then the app card comes up and it loads it.

the phone is absolutely faster and i cant notice any lags. i had some great patches that annoyed the hell out of me because of the few second lags, and now they are nonexistent and make this phone so much better.
    6.5 faster? Interesting..it also looks like crap and the kernel hasn't been modified since 2004 or even earlier. That's like trying to compare a resource intensive OS like Vista or 7 or Mac OS X and Windows 98 on the same hardware.
    New Username: PrfndHatrdOfMan
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    loading the sms "app" takes forever...overall it just seems sluggish
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan9102 View Post
    yea and if you want to feel what no multitasking feels like go ahead and use them too i don't mind a little lag with all the things i can do on this phone at one time
    /Agreed. I've got an iPhone 3G that my office has provided for in the field work (I service point of sale equipment) and I hate using the iphone for the lack of multi-tasking. The half-assed talking and surfing the web at the same time is totally lame.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Regardless of whether 1.3.5 was faster or slower than 1.4, what's important about the way 1.4 opens apps is the user interface concept of feedback. 1.4 is more pleasant because the user receives instant feedback that the device registered a tap and is working to do something in response. In 1.3.5 it was hard to tell that the phone was doing anything.

The feedback provided by 1.4 creates a more satisfying user experience.
    Last edited by cfbauer; 02/28/2010 at 04:01 AM.
    Apps seem to be loading slightly faster. The greatest increase in performance seems to be with multiple apps open. Apps become responsive much quicker when switching to their cards (top left corner displays app name and buttons pop up right away).
    The web and Scoop are blazing for me. Universal search is much better. I feel bad for you guys with problems. I guess it helps my phone was completely erased and doctored to 1.4. I'll probably be back to crap speeds in a few days and once I feel comfortable tweaking again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Making an honest objective comparison of the phone to its competition is not being a "naggy complainin' lil' B I T C H" (what are you 14?)

WebOS has enough advantages for me at this point that I live with the lack of speed, but that will not be the case for long, the competition is moving VERY quickly, Palm needs to step up.
    Well the way I use my phone.. leaving all programs I like open.. the speed to 'USE' an app is about the blink of my eye. Of course apple needs to have fast loading of apps because it can't leave them all open running at the same time! Since it's so limited in executing one task at a time, it damn well better load fast since it can't really do anything more complex than that. Kinda like a fast dual core vs a slower quad core... the dual core will load things quick and play games faster but once you start doing more than one thing at a time, move over dual core and here comes the quad.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    too many cards open errors...random lockups...power button not bringing the phone back on....horribly sluggish...aggrivating.

and i cant get preware to load to remove everything so thats just as aggrivating.

video quality is good tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymook View Post
    too many cards open errors...random lockups...power button not bringing the phone back on....horribly sluggish...aggrivating.

and i cant get preware to load to remove everything so thats just as aggrivating.

i am experiencing all of these problems you just mentioned but when then phone is being unused it it much faster, but at other time i have experienced freezing. preware rarely loads also
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    ignoring preware, the phone just feels sluggish...dunno what the deal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazymook View Post

Preware is the problem. I had all the problems you have right after opening Preware. I removed it and the Package Manager Service and now my Pre is BLAZING! I'm blown away by the difference. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    trying to uninstall preware is resulting in even more fail. errors with webos qi, random too many cards open...ugh
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    The feedback provided by 1.4 creates a more satisfying user experience.
    Here are some before and after times that prove it's not just a perceived improvement, but a very real and measurable improvement.

It would be great to have many more members take a few minutes to time/post their Pre numbers before updating to 1.4:

Memos: was 8 sec. Now 4 sec!
    App catalog: used to take 8 sec to get search cursor & 24s to first visible app icon. Now, the first app icons start popping up within 8-9 seconds!
    Goog Calendar Search: was 6 sec to open & 35 sec to 2 minutes to return a result. Now 3 seconds and about the same total search time.
    Music: was 3s. Now same.
    Email: was 4s. Now 3s.
    Photos: 4s. Now 3.5 sec.
    Utube: was 7 sec to first clickable image link. Now 5.5.
    Classic: was 39 seconds consistently. Now as fast as 15 seconds, but sometimes the same old speed (I have no idea why the variablility. Hopefully it'll settle out closer to the 15 second time).
    Calculator: was 3 sec. Now the same and sometimes 4 or 5 seconds.
    Date & time: was 4 sec. Same.
    Sprint Nav: was 5 sec. Now 4.
    Calendar: was 2.5 sec. Still 2.5 sec.
    Contacts: was 3.5 sec. Now 2.5s.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PREtarted View Post
    Here are some before and after times that prove it's not just a perceived improvement, but a very real and measurable improvement.

It would be great to have many more members take a few minutes to time/post their Pre numbers before updating to 1.4:

Memos: was 8 sec. Now 4 sec!
    App catalog: used to take 8 sec to get search cursor & 24s to first visible app icon. Now, the first app icons start popping up within 8-9 seconds!
    Goog Calendar Search: was 6 sec to open & 35 sec to 2 minutes to return a result. Now 3 seconds and about the same total search time.
    Music: was 3s. Now same.
    Email: was 4s. Now 3s.
    Photos: 4s. Now 3.5 sec.
    Utube: was 7 sec to first clickable image link. Now 5.5.
    Classic: was 39 seconds consistently. Now as fast as 15 seconds, but sometimes the same old speed (I have no idea why the variablility. Hopefully it'll settle out closer to the 15 second time).
    Calculator: was 3 sec. Now the same and sometimes 4 or 5 seconds.
    Date & time: was 4 sec. Same.
    Sprint Nav: was 5 sec. Now 4.
    Calendar: was 2.5 sec. Still 2.5 sec.
    Contacts: was 3.5 sec. Now 2.5s.
    Before I saw this post I saw the one you had the page before with your old times. I timed my 1.4 Sprint Pre against them and had about the same results you had. I don't have Classic though, and didn't do Google Cal Search.

For the most part they were they same as your old times. A couple faster, a couple a second slower.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    To be clear, I don't like the android UI, which is why I don't use it, but my point is that it does multitasking and it is way faster than WebOS (and that is everyone's excuse as to why WebOS is so slow)
    The N1 is also running at 2x the clockspeed as the Pre. I would hope it is faster.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    This is -absolutely- different from previous patches and reboots.

The user interface is snappy as hell - it's so responsive that it feels like using a totally different phone. I'm used to the old slower responses and while it's weird to see such fast speed and responsiveness to touch, I'm finding myself -so- very happy about it.
    25 Pixel drag delay has been removed in 1.4.0 hence the impression of more responsiveness.

Package Manager service/Preware is seriously borking my phone me thinks.

Is anyone else getting a lock screen with only the padlock showing ontop what screen they had? No fade effects or any of the sort?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    25 Pixel drag delay has been removed in 1.4.0 hence the impression of more responsiveness.

Package Manager service/Preware is seriously borking my phone me thinks.

Is anyone else getting a lock screen with only the padlock showing ontop what screen they had? No fade effects or any of the sort?
    Yes I get exactly the same with the lock screen, thought it had messed up the first time I saw it but no it's consistently doing that, I prefer the old style if it is indeed supposed to be like this now
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Slightly faster now imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by hobsgrg View Post
    Yes I get exactly the same with the lock screen, thought it had messed up the first time I saw it but no it's consistently doing that, I prefer the old style if it is indeed supposed to be like this now
    Hmmm im thinking Package Manager Service/Preware was causing the issue.

Uninstalled both, and the lock screen has reverted to fade (even tested leaving an app on and letting the screen go off by itself)
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast