Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    It's definitely faster for the app catalog, that used to take my Pre like 20-30 seconds to fully load where you could see apps, now its like 5 seconds! You tube was like 5 seconds, now under three to be fully loaded Pandora is now about 15 seconds to playing a song, used to be closer to 30!

Now I don't know how much is the usual apparent speed increase after every update, but this is no question faster than before, not just by fooling you with the little empty card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    It still takes the same amount of time when launching something.
    VeeDubb is right.
    Don't you guys realize that the new animation was put there to make you forget that you're waiting?

Illusions and placebos.
    This maybe true, but it is also what the iphone 3gs does to make you think it's much more fluid and faster...just try it out, when click on an app in the 3gs, there is almost always a splash screen that comes immediately, it makes you think the phone is blazing, but you still have to wait after the splash screen.
    while most applictions do take the same amount of time to load. . . . The loading icon helps when I want to open a card and navogate tp another card. . . It's like opening an app and letting load in the background. Before the update you would hit the icon, switch apps and suddenly your focus was changed to the app that was opening. . . Loving the phone even more now. :-D
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    1.4 is faster and honestly I wish it was 1.0, because the pre would have sold a lot more phones with this version of web os on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan9102 View Post
    yea and if you want to feel what no multitasking feels like go ahead and use them too i don't mind a little lag with all the things i can do on this phone at one time
    Alright smart guy
    Go use a nexus one then (which has multitasking) and is still about 400% faster than any webos device...
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Well i had the blackberry storm when it launched... and guess what. It was the laggiest/crash prone phone RIM has ever put out.. if you don't believe me Ask Kevin(head guy) at crackberry. He will not deny it. It took up to 10 seconds just for the phone to respond to the screens "answer" call button. Also the phone had trouble knowing what side was up.. so you had to shake it like an 8 ball. When you went to answer a call... the phone app would rotate to a side view and suddeny the answer button is now a hang up button!! LoL alot of BB people were hanging up on people because of this..

Also crashed on me during my first and last 911 call on that phone.. because as it was going into some sort of "911" special mode... poof 4-5 minute BB reboot. horrible feeling when a lady is holding a bleeding child screaming. Lets not mention the build quality with constant dust under the screen. and the large gap around the wiggly screen that collects major amounts of dust.

So lets compare apples to apples..
    Sorry, should have said excluding the Storm(s), which might be the worst phone ever. Point is, every mobile OS is faster than WebOS, even ones that support multitasking (maemo, android, even WINDOWS MOBILE 6.5 is faster than webos)
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    Alright smart guy
    Go use a nexus one then (which has multitasking) and is still about 400% faster than any webos device...
    can your nexus 1 do this?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-palm-pre.html
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicX View Post
    Hahahahahaha! I haven't even used it yet and still won't make a comment like that. I suggest you take your **** over to the iPhone then. Hahaha. I guess there will always be naggy complainin' lil' B I T C H E S.
    Making an honest objective comparison of the phone to its competition is not being a "naggy complainin' lil' B I T C H" (what are you 14?)

WebOS has enough advantages for me at this point that I live with the lack of speed, but that will not be the case for long, the competition is moving VERY quickly, Palm needs to step up.
    Quote Originally Posted by badjokes View Post
    We're talking about speed, not functionality (see my post above though)... and I don't see why an N1 couldn't do that actually...
    We're talking about speed, not functionality (see my post above though)... and I don't see why an N1 couldn't do that actually...
    nexus one is a great phone. But the ui isn't as optimized for user end functional multitasking, and thus in day to day activities where I might txt, look something up, check a 3rd party program, ect, all in succession, the pre is faster, because it is more functionally efficiant.

also, does the nexus one offer all the 3d games of the pre?

certainly not a deal breaker for many, but a welcomed and coveted addition.

in the end though, I agree it's obvious, competition moves in this game, and palm can't ever sit still.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    nexus one is a great phone. But the ui isn't as optimized for user end functional multitasking, and thus in day to day activities where I might txt, look something up, check a 3rd party program, ect, all in succession, the pre is faster, because it is more functionally efficiant.

also, does the nexus one offer all the 3d games of the pre?

certainly not a deal breaker for many, but a welcomed and coveted addition.

in the end though, I agree it's obvious, competition moves in this game, and palm can't ever sit still.
    To be clear, I don't like the android UI, which is why I don't use it, but my point is that it does multitasking and it is way faster than WebOS (and that is everyone's excuse as to why WebOS is so slow)
    Sorry, should have said excluding the Storm(s), which might be the worst phone ever. Point is, every mobile OS is faster than WebOS, even ones that support multitasking (maemo, android, even WINDOWS MOBILE 6.5 is faster than webos)
    Wow... where are you in the U.S.

WM faster than WebOS...

Cops aren't handling business... cause you got some of that good smoke.

-C-
    To be clear, I don't like the android UI, which is why I don't use it, but my point is that it does multitasking and it is way faster than WebOS (and that is everyone's excuse as to why WebOS is so slow)
    Go use an android or iPhone then. I'll stick with webOS thank you very much!

WINDOWS MOBILE 6.5 is faster than webos
    Thats such a joke. lol You clearly haven't used WM device before. You cant even BEGUN to compare my dad's 6.5 WM device to a palm pre, and he has a HACKED rom to make it work faster too. Get your facts straight..

-Toaster
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I'm definitely hoping for the performance improvements some of you seem to have had. I'd expect the differences to be real, however. Quantifiable.

I was reading precentral at 3am Eastern time when the update confirmations started coming in. I decided not to update until reading posted results because of being burned before.

After several hours of researching, I'm ready to take the plunge. But first, here are my current 1.3.5.2 averages for the following apps (my phone has never been modified, patched, overclocked, and the only game I have is Solitaire):

Memos 8 sec
    Music 3s
    Email 4s
    Photos 4
    Goog Calendar Search 6 sec to open & 35 sec to 2 minutes to return a result
    Utube 7 sec to first clickable image link
    Classic 39 seconds
    Calculator 3 sec
    Date & time 4 sec
    Sprint Nav 5 sec
    Calendar 2.5 sec
    Contacts 3.5 sec
    App catalog 8 sec to get search cursor & 24s to first visible app icon

I'll post 1.4 comparisons after I update this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Thats such a joke. lol You clearly haven't used WM device before. You cant even BEGUN to compare my dad's 6.5 WM device to a palm pre, and he has a HACKED rom to make it work faster too. Get your facts straight..
    -Toaster
    Actually, I was using WinMo for years before I switched to WebOS on launch day - go open text, camera, email, photos, etc. on WinMo and time them, scroll thru stuff and look at the lag, it is faster than WebOS. Is there some specific function that you're talking about that is faster on webos? All of the core os stuff is faster on winmo...
    Actually, I was using WinMo for years before I switched to WebOS on launch day - go open text, camera, email, photos, etc. on WinMo and time them, scroll thru stuff and look at the lag, it is faster than WebOS. Is there some specific function that you're talking about that is faster on webos? All of the core os stuff is faster on winmo...
    Really now? cause I happen to have my old Windows 6.5 mobile device here with me right now. A dell handheld device and I can tell you for a fact everything opens up slower and not only that try browsing in windows 6.5 NO pinch to zoom no full web site support. Browser is horrible slow. Windows Mobile 6.5 is a joke in my opinion.

-Toaster
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan9102 View Post
    yea and if you want to feel what no multitasking feels like go ahead and use them too i don't mind a little lag with all the things i can do on this phone at one time
    hahaha you got that right
    I don't think so.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I think a lot of the improvements come from the fact that with 1.4. the download speed of files was improved. Prior to 1.4 a patch (Unthrottle Download Manager) was needed to get very high (i.e. 10-20X) faster download speeds. Since I had this patch running prior to the update to 1.4. I don't see a major difference post 1.4. install. For me it's just as fast as it was before.

Just my 2c.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    my phone seems a lot slower...its already randomly crashed once today...just trying to turn it back on...black screen, rebooted itself. phone feels sluggish...then again, my phone has always felt slower than it should be
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast