1.    #1  
    Back when 1.3.5 was about to release I noticed that my Pre stopped doing auto updates everyday. If I remember correctly, there was even a PreCentral article about the issue. It started working again after the update.

Out of curiosity I double checked my Backup app a couple of days ago and sure enough it hadn't done one in a few days, so I did a manual update. I forgot to check it yesterday, but I checked just now and it hasn't done one since my manual update.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing?
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    My Sprint Pre did an update yesterday, and one today.
    Nope. What you were probably remembering was that with 1.2 the daily backup was broken for some. It was fixed in 1.3.5.

My last backup was this morning at 2:05 am.
  4.    #4  
    I guess it's just mine then... ;-(
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    I guess it's just mine then... ;-(
    You're not alone. Mine hasn't been doing auto back-ups for months. I'm on Sprint on 1.4.1.1 now and it still isn't running the backup on it's own.

I contacted Palm support today using their online chat and was told that since I had loaded homebrew apps, the only fix was to doctor the Pre back to base OS.

6:03 PM Vincent: Just to confirm, have you installed any Homebrew Application on the device ?
    6:04 PM Me: yes. I did at one point. I'm not sure that I have any homebrew apps still on my pre any more. Is there some way that I can check?
    6:06 PM Vincent: Thank you for the information provided.
    6:07 PM Vincent: Can I have 3 minutes to work on this issue?
    6:07 PM Me: sure.
    6:08 PM Vincent: Thank you for staying on hold.
    6:08 PM Vincent: Let me explain about the issue.
    6:08 PM Vincent: As you have install the Home Brew application on the device.
    6:08 PM Vincent: This application generally effect the Internal Core of the device.
    6:09 PM Vincent: That is the reason, you are facing the issue with backup application.
    6:10 PM Vincent: Not to worry, to best fix the issue you need to take the backup of the USB drive
    6:10 PM Vincent: And take the backup of the USB drive.
    6:10 PM Vincent: then Run the WebOs Doctor application on the device.
    6:10 PM Vincent: That will fix the issue.
    6:12 PM Me: so. the only fix is to WebOS doctor the phone back to original?
    6:13 PM Vincent: Yes,
    Very frustrating.

Did you ever figure out why yours wasn't backing up automatically?
    Last edited by scheumanrj; 04/10/2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Sorry. Blame it on homebrew, way to go Palm. Doctoring may resolve, but I doubt homebrew is the culprit. Certainly it could be, but you would think there is a log somewhere of whether or not backup was successful or not.
  7.    #7  
    Mine only stops a few days before a new update arrives. I never did figure out why it happens. I have an original launch party Pre on Sprint...no patches, never been doctored. I've just come to accept it (and to make sure I manually backup before installing updates). On the bright side, I always know a few days in advance when an update is coming!
    Time to get VIRAL
    I tried to manually backup phone and got this message "Backup Service Unavailable. Your data will be backed up automatically when the server is available again." I'm on Verizon. with 1.4.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    Mine only stops a few days before a new update arrives. I never did figure out why it happens. I have an original launch party Pre on Sprint...no patches, never been doctored. I've just come to accept it (and to make sure I manually backup before installing updates). On the bright side, I always know a few days in advance when an update is coming!
    Wow. Now that is odd. Mine just doesn't back up at all on it's own.

It could very well be some homebrew app that I installed at some point that is causing the issue but to just say that "This application generally effect the Internal Core of the device." and "That is the reason, you are facing the issue with backup application." is just an easy way out of supporting the issue. He never even asked what homebrew app(s) I had installed.
    I've been getting the Backup failed error for the last few days. When I try to backup manually I get the Backup Server Unavailable. I've had the Pre Plus on VZW for about 2 weeks and have gone to town installing a few patches and some apps through PreWare.

Seems somewhat unusual that their servers would be consistently down for days (still possible I guess) but I'm not really interested in uninstalling/removing the patches one by one to figure out which it is.

Searching the forums for "backup server unavailable" and "backup failure" didn't really show me any results recently, so my guess is it's some app that's tweaking something.