Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    From CJA's thread

Thanks for the write-up but I cannot get my computer to connect to my pre. Neither 1.2.1 or 1.3.5.1 work. Any ideas? I have done a full erase then realized I needed to get rid of patch remnants, etc. and wanted to completely start over. Right now I have an erased 1.3.5.1 and cannot move back to doctor at 1.2.1 then move up to 1.3.5.1. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Edit. I also don't get the charge/usb/sync options when I plug into my pc right now. I will give it some time since I did the erase and see if things clear up in a bit or by morning. Looking forward to your answers either way.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Would still like some more input. Any reason why my PC won't recognize my Pre since I did a full erase? This is true whether I use the volume up button method or just plug in when Web OS is running.

I have tried different cables, different USB ports and different computers, I never get an option on my Pre, just goes straight to charge.
    Dont ask for more input after 3 minutes.... But anyway restart your computer and I guarantee you it will work. This is happening because you most likely improperly unplugged your pre without stopping the device and removing safely.
    Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1932253

1) Remove the battery
    2) Press and hold the volume up button
    3) Plug the USB charging cable into the wall charger, and insert the USB cable into the Pre.(you will see a picture of a battery and a question mark at this point)
    4) Insert the battery.
    5) Release the volume up button.

At this point, you will see a full-screen "USB" symbol, instead of the normal small USB symbol over a picture of the Pre. DO NOT CONNECT THE PRE TO YOUR PC YET. Once the webOS Doctor asks you to plug in the Pre, take the USB cable out of the wall charger, and plug it into your USB port on the PC. The "Found New Hardware" wizard will run, installing "Novacom" drivers. After that completes, the "Next" button will light up in webOS Doctor, and allow you to finish repairing your device.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input. Restart did it. The 3 minutes was because I copied from another thread where this started and should be continuing.

I will now try to Doctor to 1.2.1
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I am able to connect and the doctor (1.2.1) starts. I get the indication from the doctor that the phone is charging and that it is looking but it never does find the phone. I'm gonna hang it up tonight and start tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help so far and thanks for what may come
    Yea...

1) Restart computer
    2) Restart Pre and hold VOL UP until you see the huge USB icon [could take up to 30 sec]
    3) Start Doctor and keep hitting Next.
    4) Plug in when it says to plug in.
    5) GO!

P.S. - Vista supposedly has issues with the Firewall blocking the Novacom drivers from working... so that could be a problem if you've never used Novacom before.
    +1

grndslm is absolutely correct.

I've had a rare occasion on my laptop(Vista 64) where novacom wouldn't connect even with stopping and starting the service, so the only thing that worked was restarting the laptop and the Pre. (not caused by incorrectly unplugging Pre)

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Thanks guys. The Doctor now finds the pre and the pre shows the giant USB icon. The Doctor starts but then does nothing and says the phone is disconnected and try again. But after this the computer won't see the phone. Also the computer won't restart.

Sounds like a windows 7 problem to me. I may try my XP machine when the 1.4 doctor is out.

Anyone with another idea?
    sounds like you're in slightly better shape then me. my phone froze this morning when trying to download 1.4 and has been directing me to palm.com/rom all day. after downloading the latest web os doctor no computer will recognize my pre (i've tried all the tricks i could find) let alone the web os doctor. i took it in to sprint and the guy told me it would cost me $100 even though i pay monthly for insurance. ***.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Thanks again everyone for their help and though I hate to admit to stupid things, what I forgot to do was rename the doctor file "webOSDoctor". What an *****. Anyway, back to 1.2.1 and erased and loading 1.4.0 now.

Jeeze.
    People having trouble recognizing can try a linux computer. My windows PCs were not not seeing the pre. Ubuntu gets it every time.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Good idea. Plus I noticed that each step required a computer restart. Something about the doctor and the USB ports. Don't know what the issue is but a restart between the two doctorings helped also.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Faster Method. Stop and Start PalmNovaCom service
    Quote Originally Posted by farcus View Post
    restart your computer and I guarantee you it will work.
    Thank you!

Im such an ***** sometime, the only thing I didnt think about....

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Thanks
    sounds like you're in slightly better shape then me. my phone froze this morning when trying to download 1.4 and has been directing me to palm.com/rom all day. after downloading the latest web os doctor no computer will recognize my pre (i've tried all the tricks i could find) let alone the web os doctor. i took it in to sprint and the guy told me it would cost me $100 even though i pay monthly for insurance. ***.
    Yo EBMSTYLE,

I had a similar problem with my pre after I downloaded 1.4. After restarting my phone, my pre would be stuck at the palm start up screen. The words palm would not even pulse up.

What you may want to do is do a keyboard restart: hold orange + Sym + R. That should work. It worked for me and it'll save you money from going to Sprint. They'll probably do the same thing your phone and charge you like 70 bucks. Good luck!