Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I definitely wan't a larger screen (like HD2 large) and 4G (that falls back on 3G in non-4G areas). I'd also love a better fit & finish...that "quality" feeling you get when you're holding a higher end Blackberry or iPhone in your hand.
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Ha ha ha... I like the Photo-Butchered Touch Pro. I know they said they went with the horizontal slide to be different, but a larger screen with a vertical slide just makes better sense. Add a phone with no physical keyboard, and then Palm will have a four phones in its arsenal that will appeal to a wider variety of people.

One thing I have learned, is it's not so much the OS inside the phone... It's the form factor, and the "cool" factor that matters to non-techies. I have used Windows, iPhone, Android and WebOS, and I truly love WebOS over all of them.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    No gesture area?
    Quote Originally Posted by theclerk74 View Post
    Ha ha ha... I like the Photo-Butchered Touch Pro. I know they said they went with the horizontal slide to be different, but a larger screen with a vertical slide just makes better sense. Add a phone with no physical keyboard, and then Palm will have a four phones in its arsenal that will appeal to a wider variety of people.

One thing I have learned, is it's not so much the OS inside the phone... It's the form factor, and the "cool" factor that matters to non-techies. I have used Windows, iPhone, Android and WebOS, and I truly love WebOS over all of them.
    That is what I think is critical is they need to make a device that people have shown to really like and I think some form of imitation with the Droid would be the way to go.

I know Palm loves one handed use and keyboards but I think it is in their best interest to make a phone that will appeal more to the largest audience possible and right now those are phones with at least a 3.5" screen and on screen keyboards... Palm can make this happen by coming out with a slider like the Droid but with a MUCH better keyboard.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brennan7 View Post
    that horizontal slider is tits
    That horizontal slider is quite obviously a Photoshopped HTC Touch Pro.
    I agree with the earlier commenter. As much as I want Palm to have variety and add a horizontal slider, webOS just isn't designed for a horizontal. Many of the fundamental apps won't work as nicely on a wide mode - unless they change the resolution to be higher (which is another maintenance headache for Palm). There just isn't enough real estate for a horizontal mode. Would be nice though to try to add more webOS users. I'm a candybar or vertical slider guy myself. Need my one-handed operation.
    Quote Originally Posted by gksspot555 View Post
    That is what I think is critical is they need to make a device that people have shown to really like and I think some form of imitation with the Droid would be the way to go.

I know Palm loves one handed use and keyboards but I think it is in their best interest to make a phone that will appeal more to the largest audience possible and right now those are phones with at least a 3.5" screen and on screen keyboards... Palm can make this happen by coming out with a slider like the Droid but with a MUCH better keyboard.
    That's a basic business rule I guess... If YOU like it, it doesn't mean the CUSTOMER will. I know it's good to be innovative, to bring something to market that no one has seen before. But, I think it's pretty universal that the Pre's KB is too small for most, and the method for sliding it up is not the best either.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmKing View Post
    I agree with the earlier commenter. As much as I want Palm to have variety and add a horizontal slider, webOS just isn't designed for a horizontal. Many of the fundamental apps won't work as nicely on a wide mode - unless they change the resolution to be higher (which is another maintenance headache for Palm). There just isn't enough real estate for a horizontal mode. Would be nice though to try to add more webOS users. I'm a candybar or vertical slider guy myself. Need my one-handed operation.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Palm wasn't already working on some sort of landscape implementation. Although, if they went with a larger screen size, with the same resolution as the Pre, it would give a little more room for a larger portrait type KB. After using Windows Mobile and Android, landscape really just adds to usability and customer choices. For me, I found that it was just natural to read an SMS in portrait, and then slide open the KB and reply in landscape. On the occasions when I needed I could use the on-screen KB in portrait to reply quickly. That's just me though. That's why I believe Palm needs more form factors to suit more people.
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    good lord what an ugly beast that was[QUOTE=Bujin;2254567]I like the idea of a slightly larger Pre, but keeping with the vertical slider. Something along the size lines of the PPC6600:

[IMG]
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    One-handed operation has been a Palm smartphone trademark, as much as having no physical keyboard has been an Apple trademark. And I like Palm's approach so much better.
    I prefer a one handed operation too but I feel the pre is not very one handed friendly. It's very hard for me to type one handed due to the keys being very low and recessed. It's also top heavy when opened so it's not balanced very well.

I can still use the pre one handed but it doesn't feel very comfortable.

If I could make changes I would change the material to the "rubber feel plastic" I believe the pre+ from verizon is already doing this.

I'd probably go to a pixi if the screen was enlarged to at least 4". Move the buttons up a little so my thumb naturally reaches the keys instead of having to reach down. Speed up the operating system and I'm a happy camper.

Easy enough!
    Quote Originally Posted by andcertile View Post
    A Pixie Pro would be nice. Open like the Pre, flat like the Pixie.
    +1
    One thing I've noticed having used my wife's pixi and my pre. The gesture area on the pixi, because it is up on the phone a bit (because the keyboard is below it) is more ergonomically fluid; my thumb just wants to go to the gesture area when holding the phone. With the slider closed on my pre, which it often is, I feel as though my thumb has to work a bit more to get down to the gesture area. I, for one, would like a pixi/pre hybrid. Pre screen size and pixi thinness and form facter. I don't think this would be too unwieldy...though I can also see the allure of a bigger screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

This was my mockup from November of last year. Now that Palm as made a big splash with the 3D games, it would be nice to see a 960x640 display in it.
    I still like this mockup. This design with a high quality finish/hardware would tempt me away from the supposed HTC Supersonic.
  13.    #53  
    I like that one a lot but the screen just looks too small, we need at least .4 inches bigger if not .6 inches bigger (3.7)
    lol, wow. I must be the only user that would like the landscape slider one. I get a new upgrade this year & will definitely be holding off until the new device was release for Sprint, but was considering the Pre Plus ( assuming Sprint gets it ) just to change it up from the Pre, but wasn't sure if i would want to sacrifice screen resolution for it.

So i guess i would be happy if either of those concepts were released. Anything with more memory is a plus for me .
    If they can make a bigger screen pre that is thinner, and make it out of some sort of metal alloy or something\ that feels sturdy I would love that. Like that iPhone titanium case mod someone did.
    Last edited by joshewah; 02/26/2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Beta*webkit*browser...*arrg
    whats with the stars?
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    One thing I've noticed having used my wife's pixi and my pre. The gesture area on the pixi, because it is up on the phone a bit (because the keyboard is below it) is more ergonomically fluid; my thumb just wants to go to the gesture area when holding the phone. With the slider closed on my pre, which it often is, I feel as though my thumb has to work a bit more to get down to the gesture area. I, for one, would like a pixi/pre hybrid. Pre screen size and pixi thinness and form facter. I don't think this would be too unwieldy...though I can also see the allure of a bigger screen.
    I agree. I made the switch from the Pre to the Pixi Plus and couldn't be happier. I do miss the bigger screen at times though. I think the idea size would be with a screen slighty larger than the Pre and a keyboard just a wider than the Pre.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    How about keep the dimensions of the Pixi. Remove the hardware keyboard and throw in a virtual keyboard and make it one whole screen with guesture. This keeps the artist back covers compatible.
    I wouldn't mind a landscape qwerty. If someone can do it, it's palm. The pixi was a nice follow up to the pre.
    Honestly, I think Palm should take the droid approach, but much improve their keyboard.

Here are my reasons why. When I want to type out a lengthy e-mail I want a keyboard. If I want to do some rapid fire txting, I want a keyboard. If I want to search for a word or two on the internet or in epocrates, sliding out a keyboard is annoying. For this I want a simple to open virtual keyboard, that is much faster and more responsive than the current one we have (WebOS Internals, I love you, but the keyboard is just slow). I honestly don't know who types substantial messages with one hand anyway.

You take the Droid screen size, and horizontal slider, refine the keyboard, put OMAP4 in that puppy, create a solid virtual keyboard for landscape and portrait and you have a winner IMO.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    Big Pixi nice..... The one with the horizontal slider.....not so much imo.
    Couldn't disagree more.

Palm needs a nice, horizontal slider with a big screen. We already have a candybar phone and a vertical slider.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast