Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Has been a nice dream... one time access to the official free apps...
    I understand why Palm had to do that, still I don't like to be cut off again. I really hope Palm will find a way to open up the Catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
    can someone please send me the need for speed ipk??? Im NOT a priate!!!! I just want to play it!!!
    Huh , you are not a pirate, but you do want to have this game without paying for it (which you should because you are located in the US)? doesn't that make you a pirate?
    Well, it's just peculiar a lot of people probably downloaded the free EA ipk files, BECAUSE they expected it was going to be a temporary thing (at least I did). It's indicative of how Palm customers in Europe feel. They expect to get the short end of the stick.
    Hi, I found some workaround, how to get FREE application, that are not available in your carrier.

Here is history of my discovery:

I'm living in Czech Republic and using Germany GSM Pre on Vodafone CZ (carrier in Palm's Device info is ROW). I loved Beta and Web distribution apps, but all are not available in my country.

I'm also developer of application, which is published in Beta Feed. I always install my own application via palm-install utility (from SDK). Once I upload application to Beta Feed without installing it into phone via palm-install utitity. After click "Update" app in Launcher menu, it allowed me to download upgrade.

So. This morning I tried to download Facebook Beta app this way:

I generate empty application with same application ID, but lower version:
    Code:
    palm-generate -p "{'id':'com.palm.app.facebook.beta', 'version':'1.1.0', 'vendor':'Palm, Inc.', 'title':'Facebook Beta'}" ./com.palm.app.facebook.beta/
    After that, I create package:
    Code:
    palm-package ./com.palm.app.facebook.beta/
    And install it into my phone:
    Code:
    palm-install ./com.palm.app.facebook.beta_1.1.0_all.ipk
    After that, I launch Updates application from launcher. .. Then pressed "Show updates" button, which launch App Catalog application and voi'la. In bottom of screen is "Install updates" button, which download and install actual version of application.

I hope, it will help users which want to use FREE application, which are available in their country.
    Rather convoluted way but I guess if one is desperate for the free app that should work I think Palm should just open up the free apps in the catalog and forget about geo-restriction. What's the point?
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    +1
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    @Georgo10 Now that's what I call creative
    IPK FETCHER <-> An attempt against geo-filtering
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Very clever
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgo10 View Post
    I hope, it will help users which want to use FREE application, which are available in their country.
    But if the application is not available for your country the App Catalog locks you out

I use AppScoop to install beta and web feed applications, but in Mexico we don't have the Facebook Beta app, it doesn't appear in the feeds, and if I try to look for it in the Catalog, it says it is not available on my country.

bummer
    Amazing... It's working like a charm

There is no geo-restriction for free application upgrades

Just installed TimeTracker as described by Georgo10...

Thanks man...

Thanks man...
    Palm Prē + Touchstone + iGrip PerfektFit...
    Damn I hope they don't geo-restrict free app updates. Now that would be a mean thing to do!
    Maybe I can integrate this in my application, at least to make it a little easier, maybe even with commandline execution. I'll see..
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacklight View Post
    Maybe I can integrate this in my application, at least to make it a little easier, maybe even with commandline execution. I'll see..
    I hope you succeed! Its strange that Palm can spend resources to lock down the url downloads, but not the same resources to open up free apps for all users, what a waste of resources!
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    I hope you succeed! Its strange that Palm can spend resources to lock down the url downloads, but not the same resources to open up free apps for all users, what a waste of resources!
    <hint> sig </hint>
    ooooohhhhh
    duh
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuy View Post
    That's complety true....and good point of view.

Palm Suport are killing their best embasators with their one hands and guns.

its a foot shot.
    Hmmm.. my problem is that when I start up the app catalog I get "The action could not be completed...blah blah" so I don't get a chance to hit the update button at all...sigh.
    okay... I must hit the update button very fast... before the error pops up to get to the My Applications list...
    Isn't it easier to hit the Updates application?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast