Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 166
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    I've been waiting for someone to finally realise this

    You don't think I crafted the server-side redirect for nothing, do you?

    (Jason: that's my congratulations present to you for Canada winning the hockey - it's just taken this long for someone to find the easter egg I put in the feeds. And it was another Aussie! But you'll still need to choose whether you do the extra work to fully enable it, there may be an ethical issue related to the Hot Apps competition.)

    -- Rod
    Umm... yeah. I tried that. Feed worked great. When I clicked "download" I got an error message that it couldn't find a specified path.

    Tips?

    webOS Developer
  2. schlurch's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #102  
    Thank you so much for this info!
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by roneyii View Post
    Umm... yeah. I tried that. Feed worked great. When I clicked "download" I got an error message that it couldn't find a specified path.

    Tips?
    I am having this same issue, so any advice would help. To be specific here is the error, the error is a java.io.FileNotFoundException, and for me, since QuickInstall is on my desktop, it will show this path: ...Desktop\Install\apps\609\files\com.ctladvance.magnumfree_0.9.981_all.ipk (The system can not find the path specified)

    On some it will not show this error, but will instead pop up the download box and then immediately close it with nothing downloaded.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That would solve the technical problem. See http://forums.precentral.net/showpos...92&postcount=4 for the potential ethical problem.

    -- Rod
    Rod,

    First of all, I am not attacking you, I have the utmost respect for what you (and the behind-the-scenes-team) have done for this community. Also, of course it comes down to the WebOS-Internals team to decide on this issue of ethics.

    However, you once wrote to me on twitter:

    @kirbz Preware is the Universal Installer - we don't leave things out, it is up to user choice

    I think that this philosophy should remain intact. In supplying access to homebrew and patches you already face a number of marked ethical issues (edit: which I previously listed here but I don't want to place Preware in a negative light.)

    I think that, under your own philosophy, this is an ethical issue that the individual must make themselves.
    Last edited by SqyArc; 03/03/2010 at 10:27 AM.
  5. #105  
    So im trying to install a few apps this way but after i download and i try to install them using quick install i get an error message saying connection reset by peer: socket write error, what does that mean and what am i doing wrong?
    Last edited by richardschris; 03/03/2010 at 10:48 AM.
  6. #106  
    i cant seem to download the free apps such as pandora via QI, it gives me an error

    BTW i can see the paid apps on there aswell, we need to turn that off.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    i cant seem to download the free apps such as pandora via QI, it gives me an error

    BTW i can see the paid apps on there aswell, we need to turn that off.
    There's no point installing Pandora if you're in London - the service checks which country the connection originates from and you won't be able to actually use it.
  8. #108  
    awww
  9. #109  
    what about slacker?
  10. dustiq's Avatar
    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    #110  
    Mmm, The Sims (FREE), NFSU (FREE), and Monopoly (FREE)

    Thanks.
    Old Kyocera Phone (pay as you go) > Motorola RAZR > Palm Centro > Palm Pre
  11. #111  
    Hmm,

    The URLs for:
    com.ea.app.monopoly.eu.efigs_20.0.40_all.ipk
    com.ea.app.sims.eu.efigs_20.0.29_all.ipk
    Aren't working. Didn't timeout, just sat there waiting...
  12. jeffmcc's Avatar
    Posts
    619 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The underlying wget program that Preware currently uses cannot handle https URLs. And preware.org cannot legally proxy or host any actual packages (as opposed to redirecting URLs) from Palm feeds (as most packages in the app catalog do not allow redistribution), so we can't turn the Palm https URLs into normal Preware http URLs for legal reasons.

    -- Rod
    you can use urls in filecoaster!!!

    NOT "HP webOS"!!!
  13. #113  
    anyone get monopoly to show up?
  14. #114  
    Yah i tried the URL's in FileCoaster...but even apps that I know can be downloaded for free from the US app catalog do not work:

    EXAMPLE: ClearCard FREE
    URL: com.clearwater.clearcardfree_1.0.1.ipk
    com.clearwater.clearcardfree_1.0.1_all.ipk

    neither work...says downlaoding, then not found, then Install Error is shown on the bar below the URL in FileCoaster.

    Any idea why?
  15. #115  
    The answers to all of these questions can be found at the http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...k-fetcher.html thread.

    This is why Monopoly, NFSU and The Sims won't work. This also explains why some particular packages won't download.


    Ignore me
    Last edited by SqyArc; 03/03/2010 at 03:02 PM.
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    The answers to all of these questions can be found at the http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...k-fetcher.html thread.

    This is why Monopoly, NFSU and The Sims won't work. This also explains why some particular packages won't download.
    These Packages are disabled in IPK Fetcher, not in the feed itself.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by petehild View Post
    These Packages are disabled in IPK Fetcher, not in the feed itself.
    You're right, thanks for pointing this out
  18. #118  
    Anyone get Filecoaster to work on any of these files yet?

    I still have yet to find any...even ones I had on my phone I just deleted will not download with the URL from FileCoaster as it has an Install error and its even a free US app.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Rod,

    First of all, I am not attacking you, I have the utmost respect for what you (and the behind-the-scenes-team) have done for this community. Also, of course it comes down to the WebOS-Internals team to decide on this issue of ethics.

    However, you once wrote to me on twitter:

    @kirbz Preware is the Universal Installer - we don't leave things out, it is up to user choice

    I think that this philosophy should remain intact. In supplying access to homebrew and patches you already face a number of marked ethical issues (edit: which I previously listed here but I don't want to place Preware in a negative light.)

    I think that, under your own philosophy, this is an ethical issue that the individual must make themselves.
    Thanks for the post - it's a very interesting ethical issue.

    The difference between this issue and the other ones that I'm assuming you are referring to is that all the other ones affect just the user making the decision. This issue of worldwide access to free apps affects the developers publishing the apps as well - that's what puts it in a different category.

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The underlying wget program that Preware currently uses cannot handle https URLs. And preware.org cannot legally proxy or host any actual packages (as opposed to redirecting URLs) from Palm feeds (as most packages in the app catalog do not allow redistribution), so we can't turn the Palm https URLs into normal Preware http URLs for legal reasons.

    -- Rod
    I see... Rather surprising reason, ethical reasons aside :-)


    Quote Originally Posted by cjshrader View Post
    I am having this same issue, so any advice would help. To be specific here is the error, the error is a java.io.FileNotFoundException, and for me, since QuickInstall is on my desktop, it will show this path: ...Desktop\Install\apps\609\files\com.ctladvance.magnumfree_0.9.981_all.ipk (The system can not find the path specified)

    On some it will not show this error, but will instead pop up the download box and then immediately close it with nothing downloaded.
    I have the same problem... just to be sure i tried shorter paths without spaces in them, but did not work either... :-(
    getting the ipk via ipk fetcher works fine...

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions