Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    So your position is that you have to check Precentral or your phone for an update that's been rumored to be released today (or yesterday, or tomorrow), and that this is Palm's fault? That you have to check? Have to?
    No, my position is they should just set a release date, so it won't be as annoying as it is now. Imagine Sony saying they'll release the PS4 someday in December. People would go crazy.. It's like waiting for a train without a schedule. Annoying.
    Another thread of epic daftness.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    palm lost so much money in the past month that they cant offered the bandwidth and server use to push out the new update..
    Help a guy thats down and out on his luck..
    So your position is that you have to check Precentral or your phone for an update that's been rumored to be released today (or yesterday, or tomorrow), and that this is Palm's fault? That you have to check? Have to?

And please, everybody, I'm responding to the attitude, not specifically to defend Palm (because I don't really think they need defending, particularly in this case). I've posted the same sort of thing on every forum I've been on in the last few years, because this entitlement mentality seems to be epidemic.

I do wonder if everyone who expects and demands perfection from the companies they buy products from are equally demanding of themselves. In my experience, they're not.
    There are more posts from you than anyone else on here that I wish I could thank multiple times.

The "gimme mine, wait on yours" attitude is so annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    No, my position is they should just set a release date, so it won't be as annoying as it is now. Imagine Sony saying they'll release the PS4 someday in December. People would go crazy.. It's like waiting for a train without a schedule. Annoying.
    Oh yes my anxiousness for that would start tomorrow lol.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    palm is not dying. Big difference between falling stocks and dying. Theyhave no intentions of closing their doors so they aren't dieing
    +1

I'm annoyed because they didn't announce the day. Even if they said, hey, you'll get the update February 28th and some people will get it the 26th, I would know. I would know when I could get the update and wouldn't have to check Precentral or my phone.

Just look at this forum now. Palm is causing so much frustration because of a small update. With a firm release date I wouldn't be annoyed at all.
    Maybe it's not as easy as you think.
    Sprint wont release the update because they are mad at palm for linking up with verizon and verizon wont release the update till sprint releases the update to see if there are any major problems..
    Help a guy thats down and out on his luck..
    First, if a company does set a specific release date for a product, it means you're waiting longer for it than you might otherwise. No company in their right mind would set a date that's not an absolute best-case scenario, which is why in such situations inventory sits on shelves waiting for the lucky day to arrive.

Second, this is an update, not a new product release, and it's an update to an operating system running on some hundreds of thousands of devices across multiple carriers. There are far too many variables involved for Palm to set a release date that's not incredibly conservative. Again, if they did, we'd be waiting another week at least, and probably longer.

Personally, I think Ruby made a huge mistake saying the update would be released in February--Adobe was smarter in saying Flash would be released "soon." And when I say Ruby made a mistake, I mean that he could have avoided causing very impatient people to complain about things being "annoying" when they're really just moving along as should be expected by reasonable people.

Third, this is absolutely _nothing_ like waiting for a train without a schedule. The entire purpose of trains is to provide on-time transportation, and certainly people who use trains for transportation expect them to be running according to a specific schedule. Anything less would be... well... stupid. Since we're talking about an update that does not depend on a specific schedule to be effective, this is a complete non sequitor.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upperking View Post
    Sprint wont release the update because they are mad at palm for linking up with verizon and verizon wont release the update till sprint releases the update to see if there are any major problems..
    lol.. i can just imagine you looking like your profile picture after saying something like that heh
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trist View Post
    Maybe it's not as easy as you think.
    If you say February, you can say February 28th as well. You can always release it earlier if things go smoothly.
    First, if a company does set a specific release date for a product, it means you're waiting longer for it than you might otherwise. No company in their right mind would set a date that's not an absolute best-case scenario, which is why in such situations inventory sits on shelves waiting for the lucky day to arrive.

Second, this is an update, not a new product release, and it's an update to an operating system running on some hundreds of thousands of devices across multiple carriers. There are far too many variables involved for Palm to set a release date that's not incredibly conservative. Again, if they did, we'd be waiting another week at least, and probably longer. Personally, I think Ruby made a huge mistake saying the update would be release in February--Adobe was smarter in saying Flash would be released "soon."

Third, this is absolutely _nothing_ like waiting for a train without a schedule. The entire purpose of trains is to provide on-time transportation, and certainly people who use trains for transportation expect them to be running according to a specific schedule. Anything less would be... well... stupid. Since we're talking about an update that does not depend on a specific schedule to be effective, this is a complete non sequitor.
    alright relax
    I just think it's amusing that the OS is less than a year old and we're already talking about Pre "History". ha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz

And please, everybody, I'm responding to the attitude, not specifically to defend Palm (because I don't really think they need defending, particularly in this case). I've posted the same sort of thing on every forum I've been on in the last few years, because this entitlement mentality seems to be epidemic.

I do wonder if everyone who expects and demands perfection from the companies they buy products from are equally demanding of themselves. In my experience, they're not.
    You got a score there, really. But I can understand that people are soaked into this kinda feeling and keep it up. It's like a dependecy that one can develope, really hard to get by without the update , no kidding.

Now if you step back - check something different than your computer it's not that important anymore, my phone works since day one, it'll have videorecording soon enough, but if you put your word out like "every Palm device will have 1.4 in Feburary" than one can be a little impatient on the last two days in the month. But of course every makes the decision to click for the update... ;-)

Cheers
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Could've said Feb 28 and release it earlier if it was ready.

Second, this is an update, not a new product release, and it's an update to an operating system running on some hundreds of thousands of devices across multiple carriers. There are far too many variables involved for Palm to set a release date that's not incredibly conservative. Again, if they did, we'd be waiting another week at least, and probably longer.
    See 1.

I was thinking about taking a train at a random time. Not to be on time for anything. Like when you get back from the city after a night out and the schedule signs aren't working. Everybody's annoyed, just like Precentral.
    My head is hurting so bad... I can't believe an update have me so bug out. woh! we'll always remember the date inwhich we waited for 1.4 (smile)
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    If you say February, you can say February 28th as well. You can always release it earlier if things go smoothly.
    Either way, we don't know what's going on inside Palm and their division that's in charge of distributing the new update.

When they announced at CES.. maybe they slipped up and said "February" instead of saying soon. And maybe it was too early for them to confirm the actual date.

Either way, annoying as it is.. maybe you're just that much more desperate/anticipating the release.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trist View Post
    When they announced at CES.. maybe they slipped up and said "February" instead of saying soon. And maybe it was too early for them to confirm the actual date.
    Slipped up...?

Anyway, you can always set the date later. Announce the date 5 days before, when you're sure or something.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    Slipped up...?
    Well, they're not robots, are they?
    Sure, they have screens to read off of, but considering the way she was talking, you could tell she was somewhat nervous presenting Palm. And I'm sure they try not to look at the screen at ALL times.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I think a lot of us have been spoiled by Palm. I see how erratic Android updates are and how many people don't even know if they will EVER receive the latest updates. Apple took what 2 years to implement copy and paste and video editing into their phones, and the latter is only available on their newest phone.

Just think about the amount of work Palm has put into their OS in the last 6-7 months and how many updates we have received and you will see that we are indeed spoiled lol. I must admit I do get a bit annoyed when a rumored update release date is proven to be false, but its really nothing to be angry about. At the rate Palm is dishing out updates we will be far beyond all this Flash and video recording and onto the newest feature a smartphone must have very soon, and I trust Palm to have it out before Apple or Android does.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Two thoughts:

1- They have to give some date to keep people from getting a different handset. There's a big difference between "You will have video recording evenutally" vs "You will have it in February" vs "You will get it on the 13th, in time to record all your Valentine's Day activities."

2- If you say the 28th, then move the date forward, I don't know what kind of havoc that causes the rest of your support chain. Did I tell Bob he can't take vacation on the 28th because he has to work overtime? Did I make Bob take vacation of the weekend of the new release date so that he would be able to work overtime on the original date?

In an ideal world, they'd announce a specific date, then hit it, and we wouldn't deal with all this wondering when stuff was going to happen.

But software development is still more art than science, and in walking the line between overpromising and underdelivering, you get into situations like this.

We're all about to get a FREE pocket-sized, web-enabled camcorder. Show a little gratitude.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast