Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Jon Rubinstein announced that the Webos 1.4 update will occur one day in February, but the exact day will be a complete surprise to all the pre and pixi owners.

Since it will be a surprise, it can definitely not be Feb 28th, since if it gets to Feb 28th, everyone will know that will be the day of the release, and hence not a surprise.

Since it can't be the 28th, if it gets to be the 27th, if definitely can't be the 27th either because if it can't be the 28th, then it won't be a surprise on the day of the 27th.

Continuing that logic, i can only conclude that the Webos 1.4 update will never occur.
    Are you trying to troll or trying to be funny?
    Either way, it's just marginally successul.
    boom, I missed it.
    At this rate, we will never be surprised...unless it comes before this evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppeye View Post
    Jon Rubinstein announced that the Webos 1.4 update will occur one day in February, but the exact day will be a complete surprise to all the pre and pixi owners.

Since it will be a surprise, it can definitely not be Feb 28th, since if it gets to Feb 28th, everyone will know that will be the day of the release, and hence not a surprise.

Since it can't be the 28th, if it gets to be the 27th, if definitely can't be the 27th either because if it can't be the 28th, then it won't be a surprise on the day of the 27th.

Continuing that logic, i can only conclude that the Webos 1.4 update will never occur.
    Love it made me chuckle!
    OK thanks for your findings
    if you like it, I love it
    Lmao

Logic based on a faulty premise may be correct logically, but still result in an incorrect conclusion. Jon Rubinstein never said "the exact day will be a complete surprise to all the pre and pixi owners".
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

I remember this from college logic classes.

Of course, Rubinstein never claimed a surprise. However, if you want to go with that...

The solution is not "will never happen," but "any day." Your "proof" shows that whatever day it happens on has to be a surprise.

Say it happens on the 28th. You'd say "that's a surprise because I ran my proof and showed why it couldn't be the 28th."

But, alas, since you based on this the premise that it needed to a surprise, this is moot.

Might I suggest that you head over the "Existence of God" thread?
    Thanks to poppeye and hparsons. Best 1.4 thread yet.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    boom, I missed it.
    boom, +1
    FYI: My Pre is as plain vanilla as the day it came out of the box...
    Princess Bride homage FTW. {Jonathan}
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

haha funny

Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Are you trying to troll or trying to be funny?
    Either way, it's just marginally successul.
    r u trying to troll? i hope ur not trying to be funny cuz that would be a FAIL.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    Thanks to poppeye and hparsons. Best 1.4 thread yet.
    +1
    very nice poppeye, I like your logic...
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Move along...nothing to see here.
    The release can never happen.

If the release is in the future, then some day in between now and then must be the halfway point. Before we can get to the release, we must get halfway there. Before we can get halfway there, we must get a quarter of the way there. Before traveling a quarter of the distance, we must travel one-eighth; before an eighth, one-sixteenth; and so on. Thus, before we can reach the release, we must complete an infinite number of tasks...which is not possible.

Zeno knew far in advance that this release was not happening on the 15th...just as Schrodinger knew that Palm isn't alive or dead...they are both...at least until someone notices them.

Okay, I'm now raising my desk chair some so my work day goes by faster.

cheers,
    Scuba
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Princess Bride homage FTW. {Jonathan}
    My favorite "quote" move of all time, though closely followed by "O Brother Where Art Thou".

I have lots of folks look at me quizzically when I say "I do not think that word means what you think it means".
    Here is similar logic to prove that it will never occur.

Assume that 1.4 must be released at a distinct point in time, let's call that time "t".

The time now is time "n". Moving along an axis of time, if we move half way between time "n" and time "t", the formula for that would be time "(t - n)/2", and the time halfway between that time and time "t" would be "(t - n)/2)/2" or more simply "(t - n)/4", and so on (t-n)/8, (t-n)/16... Now we mathematicians know that this will asymptotically approach zero, but will never actually reach zero, we will never actually reach time "t". Therefore, we will never actually get to the point in time where 1.4 is actually released.

However, using the same logic it would imply that tomorrow will never come ;-). But it does fit, because tomorrow never really does come. No matter what time it is, it is always today, so maybe the logic does work. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    The release can never happen...
    No way...I started typing my response before your response was posted, but got pulled away by "real work" (meaning what I get paid to do ). I came back, completed it and posted -- only to see your post. Dang it!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast