Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The surprise is that it happened last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Here is similar logic to prove that it will never occur.

Assume that 1.4 must be released at a distinct point in time, let's call that time "t".

The time now is time "n". Moving along an axis of time, if we move half way between time "n" and time "t", the formula for that would be time "(t - n)/2", and the time halfway between that time and time "t" would be "(t - n)/2)/2" or more simply "(t - n)/4", and so on (t-n)/8, (t-n)/16... Now we mathematicians know that this will asymptotically approach zero, but will never actually reach zero, we will never actually reach time "t". Therefore, we will never actually get to the point in time where 1.4 is actually released.

However, using the same logic it would imply that tomorrow will never come ;-). But it does fit, because tomorrow never really does come. No matter what time it is, it is always today, so maybe the logic does work. ;-)
    That proof only works if n is constant. Time marches on. Time marches on.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Now my head is spinning thinking of the possibilities.
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Who's on first?
    The good thing about being pessimistic is that you are constantly proven right or pleasantly surprised.
    I want 1.4 to go away . I have to uninstall the 800 MHz patch to install 1.4 and I don't want to lol its way fast !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I'm with you fellers
    Quote Originally Posted by mejifair View Post
    Who's on first?
    whats on second, I dont know is on third.
    Today is tomorrow's yesterday, so that means 1.4 will be released tomorrow... or is it yesterday?
    Are bad people born that way? Or did something go terribly wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm with you fellers
    You'll see thang. Wonderful to tell. You'll see a .. a Pre, on the top of a..cotton house, huh.

Well Pete, its only a fool who looks for logic on a Pre message board at update time.

No thanks Delmar, I'm afraid a .0.0.1 update will only rouse my appetite without bedding er back down.
    You can have a full point upgrade, Rube and I announced it at CES

I don't mean to be tellin' tales outta school but there's a Pre update coming out a week ago, yesterday, today...

Do no seek the update...its bushwack!
    We thought you was a droid

Its those sireens, they loved him up and turned him into a ... horny toad.

The two of us were fixin' ta fornicate

Ok, better stop now or I'll be here all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by poppeye View Post
    Jon Rubinstein announced that the Webos 1.4 update will occur one day in February, but the exact day will be a complete surprise to all the pre and pixi owners.

Since it will be a surprise, it can definitely not be Feb 28th, since if it gets to Feb 28th, everyone will know that will be the day of the release, and hence not a surprise.

Since it can't be the 28th, if it gets to be the 27th, if definitely can't be the 27th either because if it can't be the 28th, then it won't be a surprise on the day of the 27th.

Continuing that logic, i can only conclude that the Webos 1.4 update will never occur.
    Logical fallacy. Simply proven that it can happen on the 28th simply because you believe it to be impossible to happen, and therefore would be surprised by it.

You can't carry an inductive argument backwards in time :P
    My pre is like caffeine. If I don't have it in the morning I think something is wrong with me, and I need it all throughout the day to make it
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Logical fallacy. Simply proven that it can happen on the 28th simply because you believe it to be impossible to happen, and therefore would be surprised by it.

You can't carry an inductive argument backwards in time :P
    Whats great about this paradox is that the logic is both correct, and self fulfilling. Given the only logical conclusion that the update can never happen, i will with certainty be surprised when it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    The release can never happen.

If the release is in the future, then some day in between now and then must be the halfway point. Before we can get to the release, we must get halfway there. Before we can get halfway there, we must get a quarter of the way there. Before traveling a quarter of the distance, we must travel one-eighth; before an eighth, one-sixteenth; and so on. Thus, before we can reach the release, we must complete an infinite number of tasks...which is not possible.

Zeno knew far in advance that this release was not happening on the 15th...just as Schrodinger knew that Palm isn't alive or dead...they are both...at least until someone notices them.

Okay, I'm now raising my desk chair some so my work day goes by faster.

cheers,
    Scuba
    To continue the movie quote reference, this point is made in the movie "IQ".
    The release is both alive and dead simultaneously.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    You'll see thang. Wonderful to tell. You'll see a .. a Pre, on the top of a..cotton house, huh.

Well Pete, its only a fool who looks for logic on a Pre message board at update time.

No thanks Delmar, I'm afraid a .0.0.1 update will only rouse my appetite without bedding er back down.
    You can have a full point upgrade, Rube and I announced it at CES

I don't mean to be tellin' tales outta school but there's a Pre update coming out a week ago, yesterday, today...

Do no seek the update...its bushwack!
    We thought you was a droid

Its those sireens, they loved him up and turned him into a ... horny toad.

The two of us were fixin' ta fornicate

Ok, better stop now or I'll be here all day.
    This was the one that made me laugh out loud:
    We thought you was a droid. In my mind's eye, I can see Delmar saying those very words.

And I suspect about 90% of the people reading this are going "wth are they talkin about..."

Here's what I say to this whole thread "it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    I want 1.4 to go away . I have to uninstall the 800 MHz patch to install 1.4 and I don't want to lol its way fast !!!
    Hmmm you sure about that?
    Logic based on a faulty premise may be correct logically, but still result in an incorrect conclusion. Jon Rubinstein never said "the exact day will be a complete surprise to all the pre and pixi owners".
    Damn, beat me to it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    This was the one that made me laugh out loud:
    We thought you was a droid. In my mind's eye, I can see Delmar saying those very words.

And I suspect about 90% of the people reading this are going "wth are they talkin about..."

Here's what I say to this whole thread "it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"
    So nice to find someone else who finds that movie quotable! I use the fool quote quite often, and you are right, most people have no clue. The rest (those who know me) just say "let me guess, oh brother?"

have fun storming the castle
    February 2011
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12