Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm's Woes Are All About Image - PCWorld

"It's not just about having a cool device, but about building a narrative around that cool product. Everybody is making awesome phones these days, so what makes Palm devices special compared to iPhones, Androids, and Windows Phone 7s?"

i think this statement is 0% wrong 100% right.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    agreed and that is why there is hope for Palm if they get their marketing together and also can light some enthusiasm under the Verizon reps. But they need to stay on it, not just run some corporate training program but really think of ways to motivate and get that sales force enthusiastic.
  3.    #3  
    that's also my lil ray of hope for palm because webOS is really great, it's just that people haven't been introduced to it properlly and the fact that it came out in 09 doesn't give it enough credibility, but that can all change with the right marketing. people will beleive anything they see or hear on TV... this is why they run those stupid informercials all the time to sell you gimicks and they end up being hits..

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    +1 and imo the phone itself doesn't really portray any particular image as well.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    So why is the Pre the best selling smartphone at o2 Germany? What was different over there?

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...tphone-o2.html
    +1 interesting since this month's magazine rated cellphones and the Pre came in 6th in their reviews. (The Moto Cliq got their 'Best Buy' pick and rated 3rd?)
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    So, what IS so special about Palm smartphone?

If the answer is "multitasking" or "cards" or "synergy" then Palm is going to continue going down the toilet. The iPhone "On Hold" commercial shows off multitasking in a much more compelling way than Palm ever has. Everyone else touts their own form of synergy with social networking. Finally, cards is a user interface that people here might really like but isn't a home run.

Again, what is so special about a Palms smartphone compared to the other phones that Sprint, Verizon or AT&T have?
    homebrew and internalz thanks guys!!
    (i really do wish this could be a selling point to ppl )
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    After all of the advertising on TV, people still don't understand what the Pre is about, after I show people what my phone can do they always say "wow, that's cool, I didn't realize the Pre could do that".
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Do you guys think it will be difficult to deprogram the Verizon Sales People? I'm sure they now have an internal bias for the Droid.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. PCWorld is 100% correct.
    Our IT manager at work has always given me crap about my loyalty to Palm having used 2 Treo's over the past few years, and started his joking about my Pre when I came in with that to set it up on the Exchange server. After a couple of days of letting him throw the jokes and slams down, I finally sat him down and showed him what the Pre could do (he's using a G1). After showing it to him, he was impressed. I honestly didn't know how impressed until a couple weeks later when we were talking about updating some phones at the office. I mentioned bringing in the Pre for the guys and instead of his normal jokes... he looked at me and said "yeah, but it isn't on T-mobile yet". He's been thinking about it! I mentioned that it was rumored for the 2nd half of the year and off he went to look it up.

Honestly... the phone speaks for itself! If the commercials can get across what people experience when they finally see what it can truly do - they'd nail it out of the park.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Our IT manager at work has always given me crap about my loyalty to Palm having used 2 Treo's over the past few years, and started his joking about my Pre when I came in with that to set it up on the Exchange server. After a couple of days of letting him throw the jokes and slams down, I finally sat him down and showed him what the Pre could do (he's using a G1). After showing it to him, he was impressed. I honestly didn't know how impressed until a couple weeks later when we were talking about updating some phones at the office. I mentioned bringing in the Pre for the guys and instead of his normal jokes... he looked at me and said "yeah, but it isn't in T-mobile yet". He's been thinking about it! I mentioned that it was rumored for the 2nd half of the year and off he went to look it up. Honestly... the phone speaks for itself! If the commercials can get across what people experience when they finally see what it can truly do - they'd nail it out of the park.
    Well said.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    So, what IS so special about Palm smartphones?

If the answer is "multitasking" or "cards" or "synergy" then Palm is going to continue going down the toilet. The iPhone "On Hold" commercial shows off multitasking in a much more compelling way than Palm ever has. Everyone else touts their own form of synergy with social networking. Finally, cards is a user interface that people here might really like but isn't a home run.

Again, what is so special about a Palms smartphone compared to the other phones that Sprint, Verizon or AT&T have?
    Palm needs to step up it's Synergy game pronto as it's by far the best way to show off the dynamic nature of multitasking through cards.

Early this morning I couldnt sleep and was messing around on my phone. I was in the Engadget App and accidentally clicked the Tweet This button.

The Engadget App minimized and a webpage directed to Twitter opened up.

Synergy needs go beyond 'let me link all your contacts and calendars which every other platform can do already' and think for you. These programs need to be made to talk to each other--that is the ball game, a perfect confluence of apple's crazy 8 trillion apps and microsofts 'who needs apps when we put all the information in your face?'

In a perfect world, pressing the Tweet This in the Engadget App would have sent me to the appropriate screen in my already running Twee application, and Twee would have been marked as my default twitter app in the WebOS settings.

That is what you put in a commercial.
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    "It's not just about having a cool device, but about building a narrative around that cool product. Everybody is making awesome phones these days, so what makes Palm devices special compared to iPhones, Androids, and Windows Phone 7s?"
    WebOS.

Also, in the case of Windows Phone 7 Series (still can't get over how stupid this naming scheme is) the fact that WebOS isn't just smoke-and-mirror vaporware and is currently available is a key differentiator. I really don't understand how people feel OK talking about WM7 like it has already been released when it was just barely functional (and that's being charitable) even in the heavily rehearsed sections that they showed.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    One thing I almost never hear mentioned is the form factor. Most phones are clunky to use. This phone is just the right size. It feels good in the hand. I wear it on my belt with a Seidio holster, and it is unobtrusive. Ergonomics are great. Combined with the touchstone, which is just a dream to have, the user experience for the average user is far superior to most other smart phones. Indeed, my wife, who has been resistant to this type of thing, and rejected my Centro, now has a pre, and loves it.
    WebOS has been lost in the massive flood of very powerful and well marketed (in some cases) smart phones from Apple, HTC, Motorola, and others.

The Pre is a great little phone but Palm has not been able to develop its brand for WebOS in a way that will move units. At the same time, others like Apple have skillfully pointed out that WebOS's unique features aren't and/or actually limit the phone.

For example, take multi-tasking. Apple has some great ads that run pointing out that their iPhone can multi-task by surfing the web while on a call. They create a user need (get into while on call) then solve it for the customer all in 30 seconds. Very powerful. Now when a sales rep says, "Well, the Pre can really multitask well!" the customer will say, "Oh, cool. Can I access the web while on a call?"
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    Now when a sales rep says, "Well, the Pre can really multitask well!" the customer will say, "Oh, cool. Can I access the web while on a call?"
    And the answer, of course, is yes.

Your example brings up a GSM versus CDMA thing, but GSM WebOS devices can indeed access the web while they are in a call and CDMA users on Wifi can do the same thing.

The Pre is not at a disadvantage relative to other CDMA/GSM devices in this regard at all because its multitasking implementation is just better all the way across the board.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    And the answer, of course, is yes.

Your example brings up a GSM versus CDMA thing, but GSM WebOS devices can indeed access the web while they are in a call and CDMA users on Wifi can do the same thing.

The Pre is not at a disadvantage relative to other CDMA/GSM devices in this regard at all because its multitasking implementation is just better all the way across the board.
    basically once the pre gets on Att or Tmo, this argument will be invalid
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    So, what IS so special about Palm smartphones?

I have played with many phones and feel that Palm and iPhone are the only two that really have the touch interface nailed down. The physical keyboard, multitasking, Apple's dictatorship policy, Flash, and availability on other carriers are what set it apart from iPhone.

I totally agree with this article. Palm needs to hire some proficient firm to step up to the plate. There is no reason this phone shouldn't have a great image rather than some freaky girl talking about zen qualities.
    Quote Originally Posted by deparson View Post
    WebOS has been lost in the massive flood of very powerful and well marketed (in some cases) smart phones from Apple, HTC, Motorola, and others.

The Pre is a great little phone but Palm has not been able to develop its brand for WebOS in a way that will move units. At the same time, others like Apple have skillfully pointed out that WebOS's unique features aren't and/or actually limit the phone.

For example, take multi-tasking. Apple has some great ads that run pointing out that their iPhone can multi-task by surfing the web while on a call. They create a user need (get into while on call) then solve it for the customer all in 30 seconds. Very powerful. Now when a sales rep says, "Well, the Pre can really multitask well!" the customer will say, "Oh, cool. Can I access the web while on a call?"
    Actually you can access the web on a call if you have wireless turned on. But again, these other companies are good at spinning things. Palm wouldn't be in this mess if they hired proficient advertisers.

Look at Verizon commercials, you would think their phone coverage kicks AT&T's ****. It is the 3G coverage that is better, and AT&T adequately covers 3G where most people live.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast