Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. DougFNJ's Avatar
    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
       #1  
    Just seeing all these impatient members beating up others that may had posted a thread that if you search may had been posted one or two times. I'm obviously not referring to Where's 1.4 posts, but the well intentioned post with someone trying to help that may had been duplicated or those asking for help with specific problems.

    The typical response seems to be use search before you post, and then you get the angry replies with people "sick and tired" of it. A lot of rudeness.

    Many come here for help. Many times a search is used with many unrelated posts or having to dig deep in an older post that went off topic to find an answer.

    How about a little patience? Do I have to tiptoe around eggshells and do 5 searches, maybe seek permission from some members to make sure no words that I may type come up elsewhere in the search engine before I post a thread?

    What if (heaven forbid) every topic that could be created happens? Will this just become a search engine then? (Tongue in cheek there of course)

    All I'm saying is relax. Some new members that just got their new devices are just looking for help. Angry and rude responses tend to push them out when just a simple reply could had gone a long way. Being a little polite never killed anyone.

    I will now step off my soapbox, thank you.
  2. #2  
    I'm sick of posts like this. LOL. RTFM N00b. Do a search.
  3. awrnsmn's Avatar
    Posts
    646 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #3  
    I agree with you and have been saying this for a while. People need to quit being so rude and scaring others away from this site.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This was already posted 6 months ago. You should have done a search.
    I think you just proved their point there oh messy one.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This was already posted 6 months ago. You should have done a search.
    Who's awesome? You're awesome

    It's like that commercial where the guy gets the pop up "You have reached the end of the internet, please turn back now."
  6. #6  
    The main reason that people, myself included, often suggestion new thread starters to do a search is because they are asking questions on how to do something or an issue they are having that has previously been discussed. For instance, if someone started a thread on why their Pre was no longer syncing with Itunes, a search would tell this person that syncing is only supported up to Itunes version X.X.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This was already posted 6 months ago. You should have done a search.
    dam you!!!!


    i tried to search that and this is what happen to me



    Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
  8. #8  
    who cares? Let the moderators moderate. Trying to police the forum just leads to more posts like those....and this
  9. awrnsmn's Avatar
    Posts
    646 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #9  
    Agreed, but rudeness and being an a**hole is not nessisary. (not meant toward you personally, but in general)
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GenericMusings View Post
    I think you just proved their point
    Hey Generic, when did you change your avatar? I modified mine somewhat so it wouldn't be exactly like yours, and now you have a completely different one!!

    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    This was already posted 6 months ago. You should have done a search.
    That was a slightly different subject... if you'd have done a search you would have known that.

    OP... yes, I agree. I've made comments to posters, but only if what they were asking about was on an active thread on the top of the list. Some simply don't even look at the first 1 or 2 threads before posting. However, I agree that members have been getting way too rude about these things lately.

    I remember when I first came here with a question. I wasn't familiar with the site and functions of the site. I didn't know what exact search terms to use, and ended up posting my question. I was politely referred to a thread that had a lot of info on it and was very happy with that! Its easy to forget what it was like to be a 'noob', and unfortunately all to easy to smack someone down for asking a familiar question instead of simply (and politely) referring them to the thread it was posted on. It's really disappointing to see some member signatures telling people to 'search' first. It sends a message of being 'unwelcome' instead of a positive one.

    Hopefully, everyone will start getting the message and realize how this site has gotten to the point of not being enjoyable for some. We can't get people enthused about WebOS, if they feel unwelcome at a support site (iphone sites already have that covered).

    Thanks for the post!
  12. DougFNJ's Avatar
    Posts
    116 Posts
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    The main reason that people, myself included, often suggestion new thread starters to do a search is because they are asking questions on how to do something or an issue they are having that has previously been discussed. For instance, if someone started a thread on why their Pre was no longer syncing with Itunes, a search would tell this person that syncing is only supported up to Itunes version X.X.
    I get that, but do we have to point it out to these members with anger? (not referring to you by the way) There are many things in the world to be angry about....have you seen the unemployment rates these day? Does it ruin your day THAT much? Nothing wrong with skipping over it too, no?


    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    OP... yes, I agree. I've made comments to posters, but only if what they were asking about was on an active thread on the top of the list. Some simply don't even look at the first 1 or 2 threads before posting. However, I agree that members have been getting way too rude about these things lately.

    I remember when I first came here with a question. I wasn't familiar with the site and functions of the site. I didn't know what exact search terms to use, and ended up posting my question. I was politely referred to a thread that had a lot of info on it and was very happy with that! Its easy to forget what it was like to be a 'noob', and unfortunately all to easy to smack someone down for asking a familiar question instead of simply (and politely) referring them to the thread it was posted on. It's really disappointing to see some member signatures telling people to 'search' first. It sends a message of being 'unwelcome' instead of a positive one.

    Hopefully, everyone will start getting the message and realize how this site has gotten to the point of not being enjoyable for some. We can't get people enthused about WebOS, if they feel unwelcome at a support site (iphone sites already have that covered).

    Thanks for the post!
    Well said, great elaboration of my point

Posting Permissions