Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ch0co View Post
    just a quick question; is this install gonna update the phone; or its gonna wipe it as if I did a full erase using webos doctor?

and: is the flash 10.1 beta in the app store yet

thnx
    Just finished running the updated / hacked webOSdoctor file. It will wipe your phone with the exception of anything that is in the USB drive (like photos). I also found that NONE of my previous apps (ones that I had added) loaded in from Palm's backup service....(I had updated the backup one day ago). I have reinstalled most of the apps that I had, they all seem to be running fine.

The customized webOSdoctor file is working great!!

(Walks away thumbing nose at Bell)
    Last edited by Harnoy; 03/02/2010 at 03:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Just finished running the updated / hacked webOSdoctor file. It will wipe your phone with the exception of anything that is in the USB drive (like photos). I also found that NONE of my previous apps (ones that I had added) loaded in from Palm's backup service....(I had updated the backup one day ago). I have reinstalled most of the apps that I had, they all seem to be running fine.

The customized webOSdoctor file is working great!!

(Walks away thumbing nose at Bell)
    I wonder if the hacked Doctor prevents the backup from the Palm profile, since it's bypassing a lot of stuff. Meh - worth it to install them. No big deal.
    Started my install. Which really means that Bell will come out with 1.4 today. Just to make it so that I was wasting my time. As usual. :P

But that's OK. I'll (hopefully) have 1.4 in no time. 14% and counting.
    OK - done! 1.4 is on... Still need to reload apps, but that shouldn't take too long. Thanks Harnoy!
    where do I find the sprint 1.4 doctor ??? i want to try and get the sprint nav thing on again
    Quote Originally Posted by ukabu View Post
    so overall, this was a nice conversation even if it did not really answered anything. It was nice though that they gave feedback to my email... I have to say that I was a little bit surprized.
    Yeah, they were real nice to me when I phoned about payed apps in our catalog, even though they couldn't tell me anything either. /
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor e View Post
    OMFG Why is bell doing this? Is it because they get the iPhoney that they now have a vendetta against those who invested in the Pre? are they just lazy? ambivalent? the Pre is the best phone out and they are now treating us like 2nd rate citizens.
    They've always been bad with firmware updates. They never released any for the Treo 700p, even though their refurbs would ship out with newer stuff than the original handsest sold with. To be honest, compared to the way they were with Treo's I've been happy to see the Pre getting the support from them that it has in the upgrades department.

At least they're not as bad as Rogers with their HTC/Android handsets, my friend's had basically nothing from them other than a mandatory E911 bug fix and is still stuck in 1.x land...

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    I wonder if the hacked Doctor prevents the backup from the Palm profile, since it's bypassing a lot of stuff. Meh - worth it to install them. No big deal.
    I do know that at least the data part of the Palm backup works, the memos, contacts, and calendars, all repopulated with the correct information. The only items that had to be manually reloaded was any of the downloaded apps. I don't think that it has anything to do with the cooked WebOSdoctor file.

After reading through the Makefile in Metadoctor, I found that all that really happens is several build flags are either activated or deactivated, depending on what you want the final WebOsdoctor to do. Most of the flags allow you to control items like versioning checks, or carrier checks...which means that you can cook a custom doctor file that has a WebOs tar file from a different carrier and even a different version from the rest of the file and it will still work correctly....quite slick actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    where do I find the sprint 1.4 doctor ??? i want to try and get the sprint nav thing on again
    If you are still looking, send me a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    I also found that NONE of my previous apps (ones that I had added) loaded in from Palm's backup service....(I had updated the backup one day ago).
    I had the same thing, and seem to recall a similar experience when I did the frankenhack to get 1.3.5.1 before Bell released it. Has anyone found that some apps (Fuel, GPS Dashboard) just don't appear in the App Catalog anymore after doing this? I tried to download Fuel from its link on the Pre|Central app page but the App Catalog launched with the message "This application cannot run on your current operating system. Use the Updates app to install the system update and try again."

Oh well, I was planning to re-doctor to the real thing when it finally comes out anyways...

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I just replaced my Pre today. The old one was running 1.3.5.1, and this new one has 1.3.1 out of the box. All of my PIM info has been recovered (it's all in Google's cloud anyway), but apps did not. So I'd believe that it's not the cooked Doctor that's responsible for the omission of backed-up apps.
    Bell Palm Pre
    When Bell says "It's ON," I'm pretty sure they mean it as a threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Staedtler View Post
    I just replaced my Pre today. The old one was running 1.3.5.1, and this new one has 1.3.1 out of the box. All of my PIM info has been recovered (it's all in Google's cloud anyway), but apps did not. So I'd believe that it's not the cooked Doctor that's responsible for the omission of backed-up apps.
    Launch the update app to get 1.3.5.1. It stores apps in the USB drive area of the flash rather than a 256MB internal partition and fixes a bunch of other things you'll generally want to have fixed.

I dunno, maybe the backup only restores apps to the same version of WebOS as the last backup was made from...

Ok - I installed Sprint Nav, and it wasn't working. Got "can't register you at this time". So I grabbed the old DB I had when I was trying to help people get theirs working, named it the same as the new one, and copied it over (after deleting the old one). Worked like a charm!

If you are doing this I would backup the db in /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation_0/

Actually, worth doing anyway in case the OTA update messes things up.
    So Bell's doing something with regards to their updates...

Yesterday/today after trying to auto-refresh my update icon for the 1000th time to see if 1.4 is out it finally brought up a new menu that says "there are updates available for your phone click here to install them"

after doing so it opens up the App Catalog (beat) and advised of updates for apps... and you can install/update them directly from there...

Once all the files were updated it then went back to "Your phone is up to date with 1.3.5.1"

Blah blah blah.

I'd try to hax0r up a sprint version but I'll be patient
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Sent an email to Wade Oosterman this morning, got a reply this afternoon.
    -----------

Hi,

Almost a week now after Palm released the new version of the WebOS and Bell customers are still waiting.

What gives?
    -------------------

I agree with you and am equally disappointed we did not get the latest Palm release at the same time as they released to the US and other markets. I do know in this case there was a specific issue identified relating to mms traffic which made them delay the Canadian release. We of course are very pleased this focus on quality prevented the release of software that would have driven client dissatisfaction and look forward to the release shortly.

Sincerely

Wade Oosterman.
    Could someone with the Sprint hack verify if setting up a Yahoo! Messenger account is one of the options they get for messaging?
    Hmm.. May have been excessive traffic on Bell's network due to all the Olympic craziness. People going nuts with their cellphones with the hockey game and closing ceremonies. Let's hope "shortly" means just that. Thanks for posting the reply here.
    Can someone please post a step by step on how to install it ? i got the .rar file and WOSQI already installed.... some help ...i'm stuck here....
    Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    Could someone with the Sprint hack verify if setting up a Yahoo! Messenger account is one of the options they get for messaging?
    Didn't get Yahoo, but I did get Google IM. (Didn't activate it however)
    Quote Originally Posted by baxtard View Post
    Sent an email to Wade Oosterman this morning, got a reply this afternoon.
    -----------

Hi,

Almost a week now after Palm released the new version of the WebOS and Bell customers are still waiting.

What gives?
    -------------------

I agree with you and am equally disappointed we did not get the latest Palm release at the same time as they released to the US and other markets. I do know in this case there was a specific issue identified relating to mms traffic which made them delay the Canadian release. We of course are very pleased this focus on quality prevented the release of software that would have driven client dissatisfaction and look forward to the release shortly.

Sincerely

Wade Oosterman.
    Wow! What kind of issue did they find? I haven't seen any posts about MMS issues.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast