Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Anyone who suffered through the decade or so while U.S. cellular networks figured out how to upgrade their infrastructure from 2G to 3G -- which they're all finally running now -- is probably pretty darn excited that people are already talking about rolling out 4G, the next generation of networks that, in theory at least, sounds really really fast.

Sorry folks, put away the candles and the birthday hats: The reality is that when 4G actually arrives, it really won't be much faster than 3G is today.

What is 4G, anyway? The name refers to the fourth major generation of cellular technology to be developed, but as with 3G it comprises a variety of standards with acronym-heavy names that you probably have zero interest in. The bottom line is that 4G, like 3G before it, should represent a massive leap in performance over the prior generation of mobile radio technology. If historical trends continued, 4G would be 10 to 20 times faster than what we're working with today, a huge jump that would have a massive impact on how mobile data and entertainment services are consumed.

Well, don't get your hopes up, folks. Analysts are warning consumers that the first 4G networks won't be much faster than 3G -- and question marks remain on upgrades down the line. While no one knows what the true actual average speeds will be when these networks launch, it's clear they won't begin to approach their theoretical maximum speeds, generally quoted in the range of 70 to 100Mbps.

Rather, expect to see speeds well under 10Mbps, and probably closer to 5Mbps... not much better than the 2 to 3.5Mbps you can achieve on a 3G network with good coverage today.

And even though some networks, led by Sprint's WiMax efforts, are already rolling out 4G pilot projects in a variety of cities, we've still got years to go before 4G becomes a reality for most of the country. One network hardware vendor posits that even five years from now, 3G will still be the dominant mobile standard. The bottom line: Don't get suckered by a hot acronym until the technology is actually proven.

4G? More like 3.25G from the sound of it.

4G: Don't get your hopes up : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

what do you guys think of this? I would like to see a 4G pre in the future, a strong 4g.
    Sprint says that is 5 times faster than 3G soooooo it better b.
    I'll tell you what I think since I followed 4g closely since it was first announced.

lte has yet to be built so isn't really covering it much except based on sprint 4g.

sprint 4g is wimax but the beta form right now. It's 801.16e. Which allows mobile connectivity but isn't the full spec one. Next year, via wimax forums, are confirming they have implemented a software upgrade for wimax towers that will upgrade the towers to 801.16m. That is the true mobile wimax and will have speeds close to if not better then lte
    I think it's 802.16 if someone can comfirm for me,thanks
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Sprint claims current download speeds of up to 10Mbps and it is only in beta. When 3G first came along you were extremely lucky to get 1Mbps and that was rare. Given that it's still very young tech we likely will see 20+Mbps in the next year or so. I'd love to have steady 5Mbps now so long as the 4G service is not too much more per month.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanlc2005 View Post
    I think it's 802.16 if someone can comfirm for me,thanks
    yes 802.16
    If that horse's rear had a clue what he was talking about, he would realize that 4G is "only" a little faster right now because of backhaul issues. Honestly none of the Big 4 can handle 7 Mbps right now. Just look at AT&T... they rushed out a 7.2Mb update to their towers but only a tiny minority of them actually have the backhaul capacity to reach that speed.

4G isn't about being 10x faster right out of the gate. There's no point to it. If we went from 3Mb to 30Mb overnight, it would be absolutely pointless for most customers because the mobile web takes a long time to catch up. And how could anyone with half a brain actually think that a carrier could increase their backhaul capacity an entire order of magnitude overnight?

Christopher Null: Please come back when you have a clue. kthxbye
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    this article is hilarious, read it the other day and laughed... he says it wont be a huge difference and not to get excited about it.

Why would you not get excited for a speed bump? Of course if it is really expensive then I would understand but no one knows that yet with regards to smartphone plans.
    A 4G cellular system must have target peak data rates of up to approximately 100 Mbit/s for high mobility such as mobile access and up to approximately 1 Gbit/s for low mobility such as nomadic/local wireless access, according to the ITU requirements.
    4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I tried a laptop on clear at the mall the other day here in Austin. Was getting over 7Mb d/l and just over 1Mb up on speedtest.net. This is faster than my timewarner connection.

Hope that helps some of the doom and gloom sayers.

Plus for 50 bucks a month you get 2 connections of your choice.

Worst part i hear is ping times. Did not have time to try an pings as the salesman came over.. and well.. i hate sales people.
    This article is NULL!!
    Not to mention 4G has way lower ping times than 3G and that alot of times worth more than raw bandwith.
    Delete