Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    How about a....Palm Ruby?!**

**Updated Pixi and Pre with a MicroSD card slot, faster processor and, oh, re-install the infared port for Palm loyalists and dual stereo speakers!

Go Palm!
  2. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    This is the part of his letter that just dropped my jaw. Over a month after Verizon's release Palm finally gets around to doing what should have been done over a month before the launch? That's one of the more amateurish stunts I've heard of in this industry in a while. Sounds like Palm was sitting around and waiting for the money to come rolling in. What pikers!
    Yep. I was shocked when I read that.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    How about a....Palm Ruby?!**

**Updated Pixi and Pre with a MicroSD card slot, faster processor and, oh, re-install the infared port for Palm loyalists and dual stereo speakers!

Go Palm!
    really? That thing was useless. How about a better bluetooth kit?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    the verizon release was just over 4 weeks ago and they said they started this program 3 weeks ago, seems like they have been trying this since the release basically and still verizon reps are promoting other phones over the pre. Doesn't seem like it has really taken off yet
    At the bottom of the page there is a comment that suggests that Palm's "old-school" approach to business where the executives make the decisions and impose them on the employees can be attributed to the lack of consumer interest of its products. It contrasts Palm with rival Google and points out that Google has had considerable success harvesting the input and creativity of its low-level employees.

It would certainly help to explain the zany, out of touch image Palm has been projecting. Until recently Palm really has seemed like a bunch of clueless stiff-suits sitting around trying to guess at what people will think is interesting and necessary. In this paradigm it is easy to see how a company with a great product can fall on its face. Maybe it's time to be like Google and get some employee input. It certainly can't hurt.

No really. You didn’t just call your employees “team” after also saying: “entire executive team has been working extremely hard to improve product performance, and have implemented a number of initiatives to increase awareness and drive sales.” and then to say: “your management will work with you to make sure your priorities are laser-focused, primarily on helping to increase sales, improve product quality and differentiate the Palm product experience.”. So let me translate: management has been trying to reset direction for you and now it’s up to you to execute. We didn’t ask your opinion, get your buy-in or help you understand what really matters and why so you can use your actual brains and creativity to help our company. No, we believe you really are a minion and so please just do as I say or as my people tell you to do and if you do that right, we’ll survive.

Seriously. This is so old-school. Google has it’s peoples’ minds and heart’s engaged to create the right kind of phone. They are using their talented educated people to actually co-create what will work. You are instead relying on a smaller set of people to decide things and tell everyone specifics to tactically execute. Google will win and you will fail because you continue to believe in a hierarchical command and control way of setting a direction and making it real.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    a great designer doesn't automatically make a good ceo.
    He's not a designer, he's an EE. And we all know how horrible it turned out for Google's Eric Schmidt and the rest of the executives at Google, most of whom are engineers.
    Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    At the bottom of the page there is a comment that suggests that Palm's "old-school" approach to business where the executives make the decisions and impose them on the employees can be attributed to the lack of consumer interest of its products. It contrasts Palm with rival Google and points out that Google has had considerable success harvesting the input and creativity of its low-level employees.
    Yeah, that whole "lets engage our low-level employees" thing really worked out well for Google Buzz, didn't it? They tested it internally, extensively, but didn't realize that while their staff were cool with automatically connecting with all of their coworkers, the rest of the world wouldn't be so cool with connecting with their entire phonebook.

Frankly, I can't stand Google. I can't stand their design (or lack thereof), and they seem entirely insular to me--how else can you explain releasing a phone with no live support? And the splintered nature of the Android market is going to come back to bite them in the ****--already, many earlier Android users are going to be a bit upset to learn that Adobe won't be supporting them. Hero, anyone?

Okay, rant over. Just really hate seeing such a screwed up platform getting so much press. My boss was demonstrating his Droid the other day, just so tickled pink that he could speak an address into it and Google Navi would look it up. Of course, this was in a crowded restaurant, and not only did he look like an ***** (I hope he's not reading this), but it ended up sending him to some remote village in Taiwan.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12