1.    #1  
    If I remember correctly the cost to produce the touchstone is less than $10 (and that was 9 months ago so it's probably cheaper by now). I'm thinking it's definately time that Palm starts including one with each phone it sells. It could be leveraged as a huge marketing tool that would help separate "Palm" devices from the competition. It sure doesn't seem like they are selling enough at the huge markup (based on the amount I've seen on clearance)and they are missing the big picture for the sake of a few extra bucks in accessory sales. I think they'd sell more extra touchstones if people had experience with the convenience of having one out of the box.
    I think it's a good idea. However, I can see people who already bought Pres being mad that they don't get a free one...
    They can send them out to us.
    Live the Pre life.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShArK *** View Post
    They can send them out to us.
    I don't see that happening. If Palm did include the Touchstone from now on, I wouldn't feel entitled to a free one. As long as they sell more Pres, I could care less.
  5.    #5  
    I'm sure there would be a bit of that but the device has been out for 9 months. I think it's fair to make a change like this now. The price of the phone has been fluctuating a lot and honestly, they'll get over it
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Yep, good idea. But they should've done it from the start. Get it in every review as a selling point. Put it in everybody's mind from the start.

Average consumer: why buy the Pre over another phone? (simplified)
    - It does multitasking. > Doesn't care, sounds complicated.
    - Has a keyboard. > BlackBerry has a keyboard, Droid too.
    - Synergy. > Again, complicated, although sounds cool.
    - It comes with a wireless charger, never plugin a charger again. > Wow, cool! Sold..

It's very different from the argument "you can buy a new cover with wireless charger for $.." after you've bought the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
    I'm sure there would be a bit of that but the device has been out for 9 months. I think it's fair to make a change like this now. The price of the phone has been fluctuating a lot and honestly, they'll get over it
    Heh, I bought the Pre back in June when it was $200 w/ 2 year contract.

I do think that including the TS would help out, though.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Great idea. Even my diehard iPhone loving friend was impressed by the touchstone.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I like the idea. I think anything to push units would be a good thing at this point.

In my opinion, the Touchstone is underrated and needs to get more marketing attention.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I agree, I think it's one of the most unique features of the phone, especially when the internal Palm memo suggests they're looking for ways to distinguish themselves in the market.

Also, it's drunk friendly...which appeals to me.

And for some reason when I bring women home, it's something they've always thought was cool. But again, I don't often have guys in my room, so maybe the example is gender-biased.
  11.    #11  
    I also think the touchstone would be a great visual if it was highlighted in a commerical. I doubt it will be an exclusive "stock" feature for Palm much longer so their window of opportunity is closing.

If I had video editing skill I'd try to put a commerical together like the kid did for the iPhone a few years ago (the one that Apple actually used).
    Should have done so from the get go. And I don't think a price drop makes the phone more attractive. People are willing to pay for a quality product. Palm needs to make the hardware out of better materials for starters, add removable storage, and throw in the touchstone. Then hire a new marketing company that can focus on features that sell phones in today's culture.

I can honestly say that when people ask me about my Pre I don't recommend they buy one quite yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarcus View Post
    Also, it's drunk friendly...which appeals to me.

And for some reason when I bring women home, it's something they've always thought was cool. But again, I don't often have guys in my room, so maybe the example is gender-biased.
    BAHAHA! I'd love to see that as a commercial. Something tells me it's more appealing than the freaky looking albino chick with no eyelashes.
    One of my parents favorite things about their Pres is the touchstone charger they have. My sister who has a blackberry is jealous of it too.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kytton View Post
    BAHAHA! I'd love to see that as a commercial. Something tells me it's more appealing than the freaky looking albino chick with no eyelashes.
    I could have filmed one last night. After a bottle of Dewars it took about 20 minutes to get my shoes off, but getting the phone on the charger was cake.

I'm not sure but I think when the phone did it's chime noise as I put it on the charger, I might have repeated it back to it.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    I think that this is a brilliant idea. Also, I agree that the touchstone can be a huge selling point if included in the advertisements.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I do like the idea of marketing the Touchstone -- all those iPhone people will be super envious to see a commercial with a Touchstone.

I think that they should continue charging extra for the Touchstones though. Touchstones are great and have to be good margin for Palm. I have two and it seems like there are plenty of others who have 3 or more in the household.

Buy a Touchstone and give Palm more money to do WebOS updates
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I have no clue why palm wasnt pimping their touchstones from the start. You see Pre you should think Pre+Touchstone.

Completely wasted opportunity.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Random though, but why not have palm go to colleges and show everyone what the pre can do. Within an hour the entire interwebz will be ablaze with palm and webos!
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.