1.    #1  
    I was thinking about this earlier today. With all of the thoughts of people buying Palm, has anyone considered Google?

Now, I don't for a second think that Google will keep WebOS alive. However, I do think Google would take advantage of a lot of Palm's intellectual property as WebOS is concerned and incorporate it into Android. So for a second, think of Android, with cards, synergy, gestures and some of that WebOS polish and HTC build phones. Doesn't that seem just near perfect to you?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    no... The open platform of google would destroy any remnants of webos ... For the fact that any manufacturer would be able to completely change the ui and anything else they wanted... Having 4.2 million different vers of goog droidOS ..... Like winmo... Also aside from the nexus one Google isn't interested in manufacturing handsets atm
  3.    #3  
    why would it destroy it? I am saying that incorporate synergy, the card method of switching between and closing apps, and gestures. I am not seeing how incorporating that into the base of android would be impossible with the open source nature of android?

Google, doesn't make handsets really, but it does produce "with Google" devices like Droid, Nexus One and the G1 for example. So I could see them using specific parts of WebOS in their builds of android.

Just my $.02

Google: No, they already developed features WebOS started first.
    Apple: Maybe, just to end WebOS once and for all and get their staff back.
    Nokia: Yes, they need a good smartphone
    Motorolla: Yes, they need a good smartphone
    RIM: Maybe.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    google will never buy palm. it has android. it has no need for any palm intellectual property.

my $.02 on any possible sale would be Dell or Nokia
    What about Sony Ericsson? They are extremely behind (releasing a brand new device on Android 1.6) and confused (Symbian, Android, Windows Mobile, SE phone platform, make up your mind) with their smartphone strategy, more so than Nokia.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Just my $.02

Google: No, they already developed features WebOS started first.
    Apple: Maybe, just to end WebOS once and for all and get their staff back.
    Nokia: Yes, they need a good smartphone
    Motorolla: Yes, they need a good smartphone
    RIM: Maybe.
    I doubt that Apple would take anyone back who went to work for Palm!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    why would it destroy it? I am saying that incorporate synergy, the card method of switching between and closing apps, and gestures. I am not seeing how incorporating that into the base of android would be impossible with the open source nature of android?

Google, doesn't make handsets really, but it does produce "with Google" devices like Droid, Nexus One and the G1 for example. So I could see them using specific parts of WebOS in their builds of android.
    There's a lot more to webos than just the card system and synergy. However, I do see the point of similarity as chromium os and webos.

I think of there was a merger the company would be either trying to get into the smartphone business (software wing) or a phone platform that is in need of a revamp.

For instance the larger cellphone manufacturers like lg sony Ericsson, or dare I say it RIM. Companies with an emphasis on communication might also be interested in getting into the game as well as computer hardware manufacturers. I've always felt webos is a great platform to battle the ipad for the "simple" market. Maybe someone will realize this.
  9.    #9  
    I guess I would just love to see parts of android and webos merge into one super os.

I will never use a google product that also needs my real name and information, data, etc. their company is based entirely on data mining, profiling, and targeted advertising.

thanks, but no thanks, i enjoy my privacy.

the most annoying thing about the internet at this point is the google pop up asking you to allow gooogle to know where you are. are you kidding me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    I doubt that Apple would take anyone back who went to work for Palm!
    they had no problem taking bill gates money to save the company ten years ago. sure, now they mock microsoft as much as they can, but if it wasn't for mr. gates, there'd be no apple right now.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    they had no problem taking bill gates money to save the company ten years ago. Sure, now they mock microsoft as much as they can, but if it wasn't for mr. Gates, there'd be no apple right now.
    +1000000000000

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    What about Sony Ericsson? They are extremely behind (releasing a brand new device on Android 1.6) and confused (Symbian, Android, Windows Mobile, SE phone platform, make up your mind) with their smartphone strategy, more so than Nokia.
    Sony Ericsson lost $1 billion dollars last fiscal year and has laid off thousands. They are in no position to buy Palm lol.

Nokia - no, they are already invested in their own Linux based OS - Maemo, not to mention they also work with the now open sourced Symbian OS, but maybe WebOS is a way for them to break into the US market

Google - no, it has Android

The only ones I would think are interested in WebOS would be those who don't have a smartphone OS to call their own and are in a better position to buy Palm ie. HTC, Dell, Asus, Motorola, etc.
  14.    #14  
    It would be kind of sexy if HTC bought Palm....

I'd bet on RIM or Cisco. Cisco is an interesting one...they've been trying to move into the consumer space for a while now (Flip, etc)