Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Listen guys. Every other thread is about the news of Palm's troubles, and I'm not going to talk about that further. What I am going to say is that none of us ever thought Palm was going to be #3, or probably even #4. The Pre can not only be analogized to Linux, but probably more appropriately to a specific Linux distro.

Part of why I LOVE my Pre (I used to just really like it, but then CES came ) is because we are a small community and all share information, hacks, etc. This phone would not be what it is if it had iPhone or even Android level of success.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I knew I was purchasing the underdog, and I have no problems with it remaining so. In the absolute worse case scenario that Palm goes under, I have no doubt that the Pre community will continue going strong at least until everyone who bought a Pre at launch is ready to renew their contracts in just under 1.5 years.

Finally, I don't think we are screwed. WebOS is just too good to go completely away. If Palm runs out of options, they WILL be bought up, and WebOS will live on.

Finally finally, in a world where everything goes wrong for Palm and they actually do have to shut down, I hope they would make the code for WebOS completely available to us so that the WebOSInternals guys could just take it over from here
    THANK YOU, this forum has taken a turn over the last few days and its getting worse. I love my Pre and I have faith that Palm will last long enough until I get a new phone (hopefully the next Palm). I was just talking to a friend of mine about the fact that the Homebrew community will be able to make me really love my phone no matter what happens to Palm. I am glad that I am not alone in this. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karishbhr View Post
    Listen guys. Every other thread is about the news of Palm's troubles, and I'm not going to talk about that further. What I am going to say is that none of us ever thought Palm was going to be #3, or probably even #4. The Pre can not only be analogized to Linux, but probably more appropriately to a specific Linux distro.

Part of why I LOVE my Pre (I used to just really like it, but then CES came ) is because we are a small community and all share information, hacks, etc. This phone would not be what it is if it had iPhone or even Android level of success.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I knew I was purchasing the underdog, and I have no problems with it remaining so. In the absolute worse case scenario that Palm goes under, I have no doubt that the Pre community will continue going strong at least until everyone who bought a Pre at launch is ready to renew their contracts in just under 1.5 years.

Finally, I don't think we are screwed. WebOS is just too good to go completely away. If Palm runs out of options, they WILL be bought up, and WebOS will live on.

Finally finally, in a world where everything goes wrong for Palm and they actually do have to shut down, I hope they would make the code for WebOS completely available to us so that the WebOSInternals guys could just take it over from here
    +1

Thanks for the refreshing dose of perspective.

Rob
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Great point! Here's hoping that WebOS lives on even if Palm fades away......
    Quote Originally Posted by jokerzwyld77 View Post
    THANK YOU, this forum has taken a turn over the last few days and its getting worse.
    Nah, it hasn't taken a turn... The negativity is pretty cyclical. Now, I concede that it's maybe been a little worse given all of the bad news (some of it even real), but it's nothing new.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic

+1 Thats what I thought today many times when reading some news about palm.
    And it's still the best smartphone OS out there!
    We haven't had an update in a couple months and I think people just get bored and crabby.

Once this update hits you'll be back to a bunch of threads praising Palm and people trying to help each other with the new changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by jokerzwyld77 View Post
    THANK YOU, this forum has taken a turn over the last few days and its getting worse. I love my Pre and I have faith that Palm will last long enough until I get a new phone (hopefully the next Palm). I was just talking to a friend of mine about the fact that the Homebrew community will be able to make me really love my phone no matter what happens to Palm. I am glad that I am not alone in this. Thanks again.
    There's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of reality... and the reality is this:

Palm is not performing. WebOS is falling behind. Other platforms are selling well because they give consumers what they want.

Consumers do not want to patch their phone.

Consumers do not want to install "homebrew" apps.

Consumers want voice dial and video recording and a fast operating system that's cutting-edge and advanced.

Palm has not marketed webOS as cutting-edge or advanced. Instead, they've marketed the phone to my mom (Palm pays partially for those Verizon ads).

I do not want to use the phone my mom uses.

Palm has failed to pitch its product to the world and that's why no one wants a Pre or Pixi.

Reality intrigues me. Fan boys who drool over a product make me sick.

Palm sent an incomplete product to consumers and hasn't delivered on bringing cutting-edge functionality to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a healthy dose of reality... and the reality is this:

Palm is not performing. WebOS is falling behind. Other platforms are selling well because they give consumers what they want.

Consumers want voice dial and video recording and a fast operating system that's cutting-edge and advanced.

Palm has not marketed webOS as cutting-edge or advanced. Instead, they've marketed the phone to my mom (Palm pays partially for those Verizon ads).

Palm has failed to pitch its product to the world and that's why no one wants a Pre or Pixi.

Palm sent an incomplete product to consumers and hasn't delivered on bringing cutting-edge functionality to the table.
    +1 for saying it like it is.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

QFT

i agree. A Pre ****** is no less of an annoyance than an apple ******. apple ******* use "we dont need multitasking" "we dont need removable batteries" as their arguments to pre ******* and pre ******* use the excuse "we can use patches and homebrew!!" as their arguments. same thing. hypocritical. bash the competition even tho your phone is still as handicapped

(btw i love my pre. not its annoying lovefest that happens at all costs)

(i love how the word F A N B O Y gets edited lol)
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre

Agree 100%!
    It makes my day when I read posts like this. This community is devoted to helping people with problems, so we get allot of posts of problems. Thanks ejohnnyk!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    +1 Well said (written actually )

Ring ring ring. We have a winner!

Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

dam Skippy what ever happened to all those doc2go and ea games and all the other cool **** we were suppose to get let me guess its still coming right