Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ?
    yet another Troll heard from...

Edit: no this isn't a flame... But this question has been posted x other times just today with most of those threads getting closed. I don't mind a good discussion, but this horse was beaten to death already in other doom-n-gloom threads. Anyone who has been with Palm knows them as being the scrappy underdog since the beginning with their stock always fluctuating. They will be fine.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/25/2010 at 05:18 PM.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    yet another Troll heard from...
    huh?
    I guess it didn't make any sense to go to English class either.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozzarella72 View Post
    Does it make no sense to buy a pre now that it looks like palm is doomed?
    Yes and Palm is not doomed. Where did you hear that? Stocks go up and down. They are doomed when they go bankrupt and even then, as a customer, you may not be doomed.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    No, it does not. That is the hard truth. I have said it before, mildly, but got flamed for it. In this forum, saying anything against Palm, no matter if you were the first one in a line to get the darn thing, amounts to being a troll, so don't be too surprised.

If you do buy one, you better be hoping Nokia decides to extend its generosity. Else sit tight or buy another phone.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I guess it didn't make any sense to go to English class either.
    wow there are some real ******bags on this forum
    Don't mind the forum n@zis. There are plenty of them here.

I would at least hold out until the end of next month. There is the possibility that Palm will announce new phones slated for a Summer/fall release. I also think that if things get bad enough for them they'll be purchased by someone rather than go under. In that case we should still see WebOS live on (hopefully).
    so should we/can we buy some stock now?
    And flip it in a couple months to make some cash???
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I have a Pre and love it. But if I were in the market today I honestly wouldn't buy one. Maybe I'd wait a couple weeks to see what lay in Palm's future.

To some extent a lot of the press claiming Palm is dead is just reactionary hype. But there's been enough of it, and investors are incredibly sensitive to this kind of thing these days, so they can be reactionary enough to have make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Essentially if enough commentators tell enough investors that Palm is dead, the hype becomes the reality and Palm is dead.

Do you want to buy a phone from a potentially dying company? That's some horrible advertising right there.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Yes and Palm is not doomed. Where did you hear that? Stocks go up and down. They are doomed when they go bankrupt and even then, as a customer, you may not be doomed.
    This article begs to differ.. Who am I going to trust.. someone on a Pre forum or someone who's been writing articles on technology for over 25 years?

Am I a troll? No. I'm just looking at the situation with a little logic. It's not the outcome I want to see but unfortunately it's the most logical path from what we can see as of now.

Hopefully it's not true and Palm prevails but as a consumer, I demand the best for my money. The Pre is holding up somewhat well, though I've honestly lowered my standards. While things are getting better, I can only put up with this for so long.

I'd suggest every other person who buys anything to do the same thing. It's your money and you have the right to get what you want.

To the OP, I wouldn't let news like this decide your purchase decision. Just look at the phone and it's software and see if it meets your needs.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    If you are buying now - buy the best phone available now (which, in my opinion, is the Pre or Pixi). Don't worry about Palm's future - people have been saying Palm was "doomed" or "dying" constantly for about 10 years now.

Even if Palm were to go away within a year (which it won't), would your great phone suddenly stop working? A year or two from now, phones from Palm, Apple, HTC, etc. will have devices which will put today's phones to shame. Get what works for you now, then later on get what works for you then.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mmarcus View Post
    Do you want to buy a phone from a potentially dying company? That's some horrible advertising right there.
    They aren't dead yet and if you're like me, you'll end up with a new phone in a year or two minimum anyway.. Palm should be able to last at least that long.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    Don't mind the forum n@zis. There are plenty of them here.

I would at least hold out until the end of next month. There is the possibility that Palm will announce new phones slated for a Summer/fall release. I also think that if things get bad enough for them they'll be purchased by someone rather than go under. In that case we should still see WebOS live on (hopefully).
    I agree with you about Palm. On a side note, people around here are getting out of hand deffending Palm and the Pre like it's their mothers honor. Do you think you bone heads are attracting new users to this site acting like a bunch of five year olds? I've recommended this site to friends and they said no way, looks like a bunch of immature grade schoolers on here. People cannot express ANY concerns or ask questions that even SLIGHTLY sound like their comming down on Palm and you guys flame them. This site is going to hell. GROW UP (alan7467....well said)
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman View Post
    If you are buying now - buy the best phone available now (which, in my opinion, is the Pre or Pixi). Don't worry about Palm's future - people have been saying Palm was "doomed" or "dying" constantly for about 10 years now.

Even if Palm were to go away within a year (which it won't), would your great phone suddenly stop working? A year or two from now, phones from Palm, Apple, HTC, etc. will have devices which will put today's phones to shame. Get what works for you now, then later on get what works for you then.
    Agree. We are talking about devices that are essentially obsolete in a couple of years, so what difference does it really make if the company that made the device is still in business a couple of years from now or not? You are going to get something else then, perhaps something made by the same company, perhaps something made by a different company.

Keep it in perspective. This is not a retirement plan you are purchasing. It is a phone.
    I beg to differ.

If a firm is on its way down and you buy a product from it, you risk support and updates. It is just common sense really.

Furthermore, when (if and when) Palm reaches the point of no return, as a firm it will do everything it can to make itself attractive to potential takeovers. Standard procedures for this dictate that Palm's CFO's first action will be to cut all development and concentrate on support and piling cash.

In that instance, in the short run, you will get a product with updates that barely amount to nothing.
    Last edited by rmeister; 02/25/2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: typo
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeister View Post
    I beg to differ.

If a firm is on its way down and you buy a product from it, you risk support and updates. It is just common sense really.

Furthermore, when (if and when) Palm reaches the point of no return, as a firm it will do everything it can to make itself attractive to potential takeovers. Standard procedures for this dictate that Palm's CFO's first action will be to cut all development and concentrate on support and piling cash.

In that instance, in the short run, you will get a product with updates that barely amount to nothing.
    Ya, i've seen it go that way to. I guess we all hope Palm can hold on.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    This is an absolute joke. I think these days the media is finally doing more harm then good because only outrageous claims sell news...

Palm has 263mm in cash and 326mm in s/t investments as of November 09. They spent 188mm on operation in all of 2009.

I'm no genius, but 589mm is quite a bit more than 188mm. I'll even equate this into phone contract terms. 589mm of cash and s/t investments spent at 188mm per year will give them 3 years...or 1 year longer than your 2 year phone agreement with verizon or sprint (soon to be ATT and Tmobile).

I think everyone needs to simmer down a little bit.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hsiegal30 View Post
    I think everyone needs to simmer down a little bit.
    "Simmer down now!" SNL skit.
    with WebOS destined for ATT (supposedly), and rumored to possibly hit T-mobile, im reluctant to start screaming "palm is dead" from the rooftops. Are they in a tight spot? yes. Have they reached the end of the road? no. (my opinons here folks, take from them what you will).

Even if Palm does bite the dust, WebOS will likely live on for a while. Palm might not completely die either, they may just be reduced to software production, and let other handset manufacturers use their OS. I may be alone, but WebOS on a decent HTC device would be pretty sweet.

I also would wait to see how developers react to the PDK, but palm needs to get it out ASAP. In an Iphone age, apps are crucial to a smartphone platforms success. Lets hope the PDK paves the way to some rich apps. Im not sure how easy it is to port iphone apps to webos with the PDK, but if its somewhat simple, i expect to see alot of iphone developers branching out to webos. Lets face it, like all of us, developers like money, and logically it makes since to present your apps to as many as possible, regardless of the platform
    Last edited by GarrettQ; 02/25/2010 at 06:11 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast