Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Does anybody know how/where Palm has stored the file type associations on the the Pre? For example if you take a .pps file and email yourself the Pre says that its an unknown file type. If you rename the file to ppt and email it then it opens using the dataviz app.

    Is this in one of the db3 files?
  2. #2  
    I'm wondering the same thing... could be an option to fix the .eml file isssue as well...
  3. #3  
    Sometimes I receive *.log files as an email attachment that I would like to view in a text editor.

    I have found a list of file associations in Device Info > Default Applications, but I can't seem to add the association between .LOG and Doc View.

    Any ideas?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Does anybody know how/where Palm has stored the file type associations on the the Pre? For example if you take a .pps file and email yourself the Pre says that its an unknown file type. If you rename the file to ppt and email it then it opens using the dataviz app.

    Is this in one of the db3 files?
    Filetype associations can be done via webOS service requests in homebrew apps. Such can be see in Internalz, which registers itself as a potential file handler for 20 different filetypes.

    If you wish to manually add extensions, you can use the app created by MetaView called RegisterApp. This kind of deeper system manipulation is done at your own risk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Proboscis View Post
    Sometimes I receive *.log files as an email attachment that I would like to view in a text editor.

    I have found a list of file associations in Device Info > Default Applications, but I can't seem to add the association between .LOG and Doc View.

    Any ideas?
    DocView does not support .log files and itself cannot edit any files. I recommend you install Internalz. It has a built-in fully-fledged text editor and is programmed to be able to register as a handler of .log files
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    DocView does not support .log files and itself cannot edit any files. I recommend you install Internalz. It has a built-in fully-fledged text editor and is programmed to be able to register as a handler of .log files
    The .LOG files I am talking about are in fact plain ASCII files that happen to have the file extension .LOG in stead of .TXT. I only need to be able to view them. (On the Centro I used to change the extension of the email attchment to .TXT, but even that I don't seem to be able to do on the Pre).

    Is there no easier way to do that? (My Pre is a European GSM unit. The proces of installing homebrew apps looks rather daunting.)
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Proboscis View Post
    The .LOG files I am talking about are in fact plain ASCII files that happen to have the file extension .LOG in stead of .TXT. I only need to be able to view them. (On the Centro I used to change the extension of the email attchment to .TXT, but even that I don't seem to be able to do on the Pre).

    Is there no easier way to do that? (My Pre is a European GSM unit. The proces of installing homebrew apps looks rather daunting.)
    No, there's no way to do such without homebrew. It's far easier than you think to get homebrew up and running. And believe me when I say Internalz, Preware, Mode Switcher, etc. are more than worth it
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Proboscis View Post
    Is there no easier way to do that? (My Pre is a European GSM unit. The proces of installing homebrew apps looks rather daunting.)
    Follow Jason's advice, once you hit the homebrew scene you will have a whole new world to play with.

    You should only need the instructions found at these two places:
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-coding/228310-webos-quick-install-v3-14-a.html

    install.preware.org

    And it really isn't that daunting, pretty easy to get going.
  8. #8  
    Just some more words for my little RegisterApp. Just send me an patch file from the forum by email but neither Preware nor Internalz picked it up when I pressed on it in my Pre's email app. With RegisterApp I added

    APPID ca.canucksoftware.internalz
    EXTENSION patch
    MIME text

    then I pressed Register, went back to the email and tapped on the attachment.
    Internalz popped up showing me the patch file and allowed me to install it. Very nice.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaView View Post
    Just some more words for my little RegisterApp. Just send me an patch file from the forum by email but neither Preware nor Internalz picked it up when I pressed on it in my Pre's email app. With RegisterApp I added

    APPID ca.canucksoftware.internalz
    EXTENSION patch
    MIME text

    then I pressed Register, went back to the email and tapped on the attachment.
    Internalz popped up showing me the patch file and allowed me to install it. Very nice.
    I have used this app to register KalemSoft MediaPlayer as the default handler for .mpg files. It does indeed open up the app when I click on a .mpg link in the web browser now, but it doesn't load the file into the app or download the file to be opened manually. I saw another link on your metaviewsoft.de website about how app creators can do this by setting the download flag, but is there a way to do this myself with your app?
  10. #10  
    no, if the app doesn't handle the launch parameter on it's own, you're out of luck.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
  11. #11  
    I installed Internalz after I installed Gemini file manager. Now Gemini cannot open pictures - it tries to do it through Internalz, but gets an error. I'm thinking Internalz took over the file association for jpg.

    Unistalling both and reinstalling did not affect. Neither did reinstalling Internalz and turning off the file associations at the opening screen.

    How can I get Gemini to reassociate jpg files with the webos built in photo and picture viewer?
  12. #12  
    IIRC it's in system info on the settings page on your TouchPad. In the menu there is default apps which allows you to select the default app for a certain file type.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
  13. #13  
    Metaview, are your talking the default apps view in Device Info? That lets me view associations, but not change them.
  14. #14  
    Yes, that's what I talking about. And if you have some app installed which registers for some file type (like Internalz, OfflineBrowser, MapTool, iCalimporter etc.) you should be able to change the appropriate association.
    Check out MapTool Pro the best mapping app for all webOS devices!
    Let your kids practice their math101 Math This!
    Best image processing app for all webOS devices? Try ImageWorker Pro
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cgutz View Post
    I installed Internalz after I installed Gemini file manager. Now Gemini cannot open pictures - it tries to do it through Internalz, but gets an error. I'm thinking Internalz took over the file association for jpg.

    Unistalling both and reinstalling did not affect. Neither did reinstalling Internalz and turning off the file associations at the opening screen.

    How can I get Gemini to reassociate jpg files with the webos built in photo and picture viewer?
    Internalz Pro only takes association if you set it to. You can also unregister it as a handler in the Preferences screen for the app.

    However there is no system default handler for webOS. That's why apps like Internalz and Gemini have their own builtin image viewers; there's no way to send images to open directly in the Photos & Video app.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  16. #16  
    I can remove the file association setting for other apps in Internalz, but then the association goes away, and other apps don't recognize jpgs from the extension ( in other words, there is simply no associations for jpgs).

    Any idea why the default association menu isnt allowing me to change any associations? They are all "greyed" out and the drop down does not work.
  17. #17  
    FYI to those using this app...all three field are required. For MIME type, use one of the following based on your needs..

    application
    audio
    example
    image
    message
    model
    multipart
    text
    video

    source: IANA | MIME Media Types

Posting Permissions