Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm tired of the unwarranted love affair everyone seems to have with all things Google. As far as I'm concerned, outside of their search engine, there's little the company has done to deserve the sort of recognition they're getting. Gmail wasn't/isn't anything revolutionary (it was free, had abundant storage, and allowed people to snag the email addresses they missed out on with Yahoo). Youtube was an acquired product, and even Google Maps started at a company called Where2 (also acquired by Google).

But more specifically my rant is about Android. Android's growing popularity and success has little to do with merit and far more to do with brand recognition. I have no doubt that if webOS were a Google product it would be just as successful and most likely a lot more successful. Android is clumsy, unaesthetic, and lacks the sort of innovation that webOS offers (multi-tasking, gestures, notifications, etc). Android is nothing more than a glorified version of Windows Mobile. But then again, despite all of its shortcomings Windows Mobile phones sold fairly well during its time (likely due to a similar case of Microsoft's brand recognition and partnerships).

The one thing Android has going for it, is the wide range of hardware choices (many of them with superior specs and build quality compared to the Pre). Interestingly though, this also is a shortcoming since it splinters the uniformity of the OS. There are far too many 3rd party layers bolted on top of Android (such as Sense UI) and far too many variations of hardware for developers to worry about.

Even the darling of Android OS, the Droid, is far from deserving of its success. Sure the specs are a tech geek's wet dream, but it's biggest shortcoming is that it runs Android! And have you every tried using that keyboard? The layout is awful and the keys are not separated and raised. In December, a couple of girlfriends of mine had both gotten Droids. I didn't get it. They are not techy at all, so it's a mystery to me why they would be drawn to something that runs such a clumsy OS such as Android. I couldn't help but think how much more they'd enjoy using something as polished, aesthetically pleasing, and intuitive as a webOS device. One has to wonder how much better webOS would be doing had it released a phone on Verizon prior to the Droid. It would have become Verizon's answer to the iPhone rather than the Droid, which unfortunately seems to have cemented its claim to that title.
    well I don't know why you say that as Android OS is about 10 more popular then WebOS at the moment. So coming to this forum and bashing Google is stupid as palm is barelly strugling to survive while Android has seen the bigest improvement in their platform then any other OS and thats including iphone.
    i gotta say i love google.com for their search engine, which is how i found precentral in the first place. but i can see how they are so popular, all that money and successfull search engine, they could put a turd in a box call it Google Pre and cause excitement..

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    It's going to get worse. Just saw on Gizmodo the Droid Eris is now free on contract. Bad news for Palm on Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    It's going to get worse. Just saw on Gizmodo the Droid Eris is now free on contract. Bad news for Palm on Verizon.
    Ouch.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    i gotta say i love google.com for their search engine, which is how i found precentral in the first place. but i can see how they are so popular, all that money and successfull search engine, they could put a turd in a box call it Google Pre and cause excitement..
    haha...so true. Isn't that what Google Buzz or Google Wave are? Turds in a box. I guess it's also worth pointing out that Google Voice, admittedly a good product, was also something they acquired from GrandCentral.
    should be in cross platform chat.....
    I pretty much agree with op fully. One of my good friends got the droid and now is such a big g ****** I can't take it. Every time I talk to him it's always "google is the most innovative company evarrr". It's really annoying because they haven't had a major innovation since google.com
    1st it is an amazing amount of Marketing, on Verizon part, that made Droid into the monster it is.

2nd As a former android user it is a fun operating system. (Not as fun or fluid as WebOS, but still it has the bells and whistles)

3rd: See point 1 "Marketing" It is an evil force that makes us see what they want us to see. Not what is always real.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    should be in cross platform chat.....
    but then again, 90% of the posts in this forum belong in the General Chat as they rarely have to do specifically with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
    I pretty much agree with op fully. One of my good friends got the droid and now is such a big g ****** I can't take it. Every time I talk to him it's always "google is the most innovative company evarrr". It's really annoying because they haven't had a major innovation since google.com
    Well the Android platform is actually really good, and the fact that it's open to different hardware vendors really gives you a diverse selection of phones. Whereas WebOS you got 2 choices really. Not to mention the fact it gives a chance to hardware vendors to use the OS and all it's built in features while being able to customize it for their brand. It makes alot of sense.

It isn't the most polished UI, but the OS itself is really powerful, so yes they're doing alot of things right. What they're screwing up is fragmentation of the OS. You go to Tmobile now and you got 2 phones on OS 1.6, one on 1.5, you go to Verizon you got a phone on 1.6 and one on 2.0. Google sells their own phone on 2.1 already. HTC has more in the pipeline with 2.1 coming. So for app developers you can't look at the android marketshare as a whole since you're apps that require 2.0 won't work on over 75% of the Android phones out there. That's where Palm controlling manufacture and the OS comes in, and that's why the iPhone has been so succesfull. An iPhone 2G has the same OS as a iPhone 3Gs.
    Just posted on slashdot yesterday - Makes A LOT of Sense

Slashdot Technology Story | Google Android — a Universe of Incompatible Devices

snydeq writes "Galen Gruman writes about the dark side of the recent flood of Android smartphones: versions run amok. 'That flood of options should be a good thing — but it's not. In fact, it's a self-destruction derby in action, as phones come out with different versions of the Android OS, with no clear upgrade strategy for either the operating system or the applications users have installed, and with inconsistent deployment of core features. In short, the Android platform is turning out not to be a platform at all, but merely a starting point for a universe of incompatible devices,' Gruman writes. 'This mess leaves developers and users in an unstable position, as each new Android device adds another variation and compatibility question.' In the end, Google's naive approach to open sourcing Android may in fact be precipitating this free-for-all — one that might ultimately turn off both end-users and developers alike." As reader donberryman points out, you can even put Android onto some Windows Mobile phones, now.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    I'm tired of the unwarranted love affair everyone seems to have with all things Google. As far as I'm concerned, outside of their search engine, there's little the company has done to deserve the sort of recognition they're getting.
    Hmm, let's see:

- Free web-based office suite with an open format standard (non-proprietary)
    - Free POP, IMAP and email forwarding support with 7GB storage
    - Free turn-by-turn based navigation
    - Free world class Maps including the Google Earth application
    - Free photo hosting with multi-platform file library, editor and viewer integration
    - Free video hosting (Youtube)
    - Free operating system for developers
    - The best search with minimal advertising (I see one advert per page of results)

The list goes on and on. Google is a company like no other because they provide reams and reams of free, quality content to us.

They deserve their status and respect in the computing world.

EDIT: And that's without even mentioning their Chrome browser, Blogger, Calendar, Wave, Talk, Voice, Reader and News... like I said, the list goes on and on.
    Well, hardware has a lot to do with it. Say what you want about Android (I'm not a big fan) the Android hardware is usually very good. Lets face it, the Pre has terrible hardware. I also keep going back to most people either don't know or don't care about multitasking (the Pre's best feature).
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Hmm, let's see:

- Free photo hosting with multi-platform file library, editor and viewer integration
    - The best search with minimal advertising (I see one advert per page of results)

The list goes on and on. Google is a company like no other because they provide reams and reams of free, quality content to us.

There are a lot of things I like about Google. Many of the things you have listed were already out there when Google came up with their own version, or were acquired by them and not their own creation. And lets not be fooled. Nothing is free. Google generates nearly all of its revenue from advertising. Google wants you to use their products so that you spend more time on their sites and view more ads. Google is not out to enrich our lives. They want to make money, just as every other company does (Palm included of course
    Androids success is due to:

A.) Brand recognition
    B.) It's free

simple as that. I'm a geek, like seriously, a true geek. I like the latest and greatest and I don't mind calling what I see. I used android and I have to say it's clunky and unrefined, like I said before with Windows Phone 7 series coming out Android's gonna seem more like WinMo than WinMo before long. Since Google gives away most of the crap...er... products... they produce they are successful. People like not having to spend money, companies like it even more. Android is free and open source so any company can grab it and put it on there handset (toaster, dishwasher, coffee maker, etc...) that has a lot to do with the recent android market saturation.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Well, hardware has a lot to do with it. Say what you want about Android (I'm not a big fan) the Android hardware is usually very good. Lets face it, the Pre has terrible hardware. I also keep going back to most people either don't know or don't care about multitasking (the Pre's best feature).
    Fully agreed. I think Palm needs to come out with really slick, well built hardware (in the same vein as Apple). The Pre's suffered from too many hardware breakdowns. But I truly doubt that this is keeping people from buying the device. Brand recognition by the other players (Blackberry, Apple, Google) and a lack of solid marketing by Palm (and carriers) are to blame.
    To play devils advocate: The phone is selling well for a reason. They have tons of ads that are catchy so they have tons of media exposure and the 'droid OS has a following. Can't blame them for their success, or their owners for raving about their phones either. Especially since I and many others do the same thing about webos.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    There are a lot of things I like about Google. Many of the things you have listed were already out there when Google came up with their own version, or were acquired by them and not their own creation. And lets not be fooled. Nothing is free. Google generates nearly all of its revenue from advertising. Google wants you to use their products so that you spend more time on their sites and view more ads. Google is not out to enrich our lives. They want to make money, just as every other company does (Palm included of course
    Amen. Google is in the marketing business and don't let anyone tell you other wise. Google's products are designed so that they can collect information that companies can use that to more effectively target the consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Hmm, let's see:

EDIT: And that's without even mentioning their Chrome browser, Blogger, Calendar, Wave, Talk, Voice, Reader and News... like I said, the list goes on and on.
    Very true, also there is more than one ad per search page, but the ads are usually relevant, and very unobtrusive. I have google everything, I even moved my small companies email services over to google apps. The Pre does a really good job of integrating with my google services, but I've seen the Nexus one and it does an even better job of integrating. The fragmentation of the OS is going to be there problem, and one place where I see Microsoft with their new minimum hardware requirements on WP7S trying to fix that problem.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast