Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's free to get amazing brand recognition.
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    There are a lot of things I like about Google. Many of the things you have listed were already out there when Google came up with their own version, or were acquired by them and not their own creation.
    Whats the difference where they acquired there items from. Bottom line is they have it and made them what they are today. I think Google is a fantastic company with great vision. I have a palm pre now but as good as WebOS is i am really disappointed with the hardware (especially coming from an iphone 3gs) and as soon the Nexus 1/Supersonic or A WM7 phone comes to sprint im ditching my pre. I just don't think Palm has it in them to make competing hardware but we shall see...
    Last edited by Nate735; 02/25/2010 at 02:16 PM.
    I am on the 29th day of my 30 days at VZN and while I like the Pre very much I am thinking about returning it. My slider is a little loose and I am concerned it may get worse over time. This is my second handset because the first had a terrible keyboard. I picked up the Droid in the store today and the build quality seemed very impressive. Nice slider, very tight. The keyboard seemed less desirable but not unbearable. Maybe my opinion was influenced by the short time in the store.

I will decide when I wake up tomorrow if I will leave Palm after having a 700P and a 755.
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Android is so popular because it's the only decent operating system which is not proprietary and stuck on only one device. Android is actually tripping on it's Achilles heel now, which is that devices have too many differences, the OS isn't consistent across devices and it's hard to develop apps for them.

Now that Win Mobile 7 is coming, I am guessing Android popularity will taper off. Windows is going to control the hardware much stricter and it seems to be a very polished and well done operating system.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I actually forgot what the original post was about, I was kinda busy recording videos with my Nexus One....

All kidding aside,

As a former Pre owner I can definatley feel your pain. I came back here to see if they actually were going to release 1.4 today. As the air around this forum gets rather interesting during update time.

After switching to Android/HTC/Google software and hardware. I can just tell you that the build quality and care that went into the product were just so much better. The phone itself just looks more professional and working in a professional environment, image counts. I mean when I would take the Pre out before, it made me think of my 3 year old daughter trying on my dress shoes and suit jacket sure it's cute but still does not fit.

I love the fluidness of the UI, the fact that when I press the phone icon it instantaniously switches to the dialer, instead of the incredable amount of lag it would take for me to get to the dialer on the pre. The fact that the phone came with basic essentials included (i.e Video Recording). Multiple home screens alow me to keep up on just about everything, news, weather, calandar, appointments, stocks to name a few. Google Apps are just plain awesome, from the Maps and Voice guided navigation right down to Google Star Maps. There are a ton of great apps to keep my daughter busy during long car rides and I do not have to worry about her destroying the phone let alone scratching the screen.

So do I care about a love affair between two corparations? No. What I do care about is that they give me a great phone experience, and that was something Palm never accomplished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunkin View Post
    After switching to Android/HTC/Google software and hardware. I can just tell you that the build quality and care that went into the product were just so much better. The phone itself just looks more professional and working in a professional environment, image counts. I mean when I would take the Pre out before, it made me think of my 3 year old daughter trying on my dress shoes and suit jacket sure it's cute but still does not fit.

Ive actually heard this from a few ppl. The pre has that rounded (pebble-esque) look to it. and while thats nice and ergonomic in the hand, some might think of it as more as a less professional phone. (im on the fence about this one, however im sure for those business ppl who care tons about image this could be their reaction)
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    - The best search with minimal advertising (I see one advert per page of results)
    Actually, you see more than one ad per page of Google results. The entire top and right sides are devoted to AdWords ads. You may just not recognize them as such.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Actually, you see more than one ad per page of Google results. The entire top and right sides are devoted to AdWords ads. You may just not recognize them as such.
    If you go to Google and type:

• "BBC" you will see 0 adverts
    • "Apple" you will see 0 adverts
    • "history" you will see only 1 advert
    • "Gladiator" you will see 3 adverts
    • "Dolls" you will see 8+ adverts

So I guess it depends what you're searching for
    When its all said and done...everyone who has owned a pre knows that it feels like something out of the toy section in the grocery store...yes the UI is easy and IMO was pretty flawless in my experience...but how can palm expect to make this revolutionary come back, and compete with google when they dont even put the neccessay effort in to simple things such as build quality....google takes the cake because they create the best over all experience
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donatom3 View Post
    Very true, also there is more than one ad per search page, but the ads are usually relevant, and very unobtrusive. I have google everything, I even moved my small companies email services over to google apps. The Pre does a really good job of integrating with my google services, but I've seen the Nexus one and it does an even better job of integrating. The fragmentation of the OS is going to be there problem, and one place where I see Microsoft with their new minimum hardware requirements on WP7S trying to fix that problem.
    Agreed.... I think android/google is in for a big awakening once the fragmentation really takes hold (it hasn't yet). ms learned the lesson google is about to learn and changed their model.

What really kills palm is the hardware (as has been stated already). They really need to produce a thin big screen "premium" version of the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    i gotta say i love google.com for their search engine, which is how i found precentral in the first place. but i can see how they are so popular, all that money and successfull search engine, they could put a turd in a box call it Google Pre and cause excitement..
    Simply put, Google is the Apple of software..
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    What I think matters the *most* is individual usability. I've been contemplating developing for Android in addition to WebOS so I've been looking at devices on Sprint to possibly go with. I want a device I can switch to and use as my daily driver for a while as I test a new app. Well low and behold my sister gets a Moment and her husband gets a Hero. I decided to try them both out. At first glance I really liked the idea of the home screens. Both of them had theirs organized really nice. Then I tried to *use* them. The on screen keyboard on the Hero in portrait was almost unusable. In landscape it wasn't bad at all... only it took half my screen. Portrait typing on the moment wasn't horrible... not great either and the physical kb seemed way too big. The big thing, though, browsing on both devices was awful. Pinch to zoom worked sporadically on the Hero and not at all on the Moment.

Basically what it comes down to is: If it works for you *use it*. If Android fixes those things i'll probably pick one up (maybe even switch, who knows). For now, though, the Pre *works for me*.

- Phil -
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12