Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
    Crazy. The only way I will start advertising Palm and the WebOs is if Palm pays me for it.

I don't see Palm outside my house advertising for me or any charities.

That make 2 of us...

I supported Palm in the past by buying the 650, 700p, Centro, and Pre. Got the wife a Rose Centro, 2 of my brothers got the 650, 700p, 755, and the brother-in-law got 3 Centros (Black,Lime,Rose) in 1 day. Thats not including a few friends that jumped on the Centro because of me. Thats as far as Im going to go for Palm.

I hope they make it over the hump, but I will not be spreading the word for free. Not going to happen...
    Last edited by He123321; 02/25/2010 at 02:00 PM.

2.    #62  
    xome1993 thanks for being logical as well!!! Lotto are you not reading my post and comments. I am making a call to fans. you are not a fan. You are a customer so enjoy the phone. I am asking all fans to come out and support their team!!! March 3rd whoever is a fan I say we all sport an orange tshirt or shirt or buttondown or coat some means of orange and spread the word!!! If your football team was in the rut would you not want to support them. Your true colors show up when the **** hits the fan. when things are good like apples case everyone is happy. Todays numbers are no way indicative of what palm can do. So all you customers sit and enjoy your phone. Fans rise up to the occasion and dont underestimate the power of sharing your knowledge!!
    Last edited by etrade18; 02/25/2010 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
    Crazy. The only way I will start advertising Palm and the WebOs is if Palm pays me for it.

I don't see Palm outside my house advertising for me or any charities.
    Ya know what, you're absolutely right! I'll be back, I'm off to burn my raiders jerseys because Al Davis never promoted me! Heck, while I'm at it let me get rid of my budweiser shirt, my A&W mug, my kid sisters spongebob backpack, my soda cup with the pepsi logo on the side, my... Well pretty much everything I own with some sort of logo or trademark because I don't wanna advertise for things that never advertised for me!
  4.    #64  
    RANGT thanks for hopping on the bandwagon!!!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etrade18 View Post
    Apple success stems from the fans
    That's debatable because these "fans" are also the reason for Apple's negative image in the general public.

I've been a Mac user since the early 90's and I've always said that the biggest obstacle for Apple is their own fans. Diehard fans think they are doing good by promoting a product, but properly promoting a product is an artform that most "enthusiastic" fans don't possess. So instead of friendly discussions about how ProductX will fit their lives, you see them aggressively slamming a persons choices, calling them "trolls" and essentially cramming products down throats just to make a sale. Being overly enthusiastic about anything is not very appealing to the average consumer.

As for Apple's true success? It's got nothing to do with the fans because clearly they could care less about them (Secret products, App Store control, Ditching Macworld, etc). So how do they do it then?

I'm giving full credit to their manipulation of the media. Look at Macworld (a trade show built in THEIR honor). Can anyone name 2 big Apple stories from Macworld 2010? I'm an Apple fan and I can't think of one. BUT... what about the iPad released 2 weeks prior? Whether you like the product or not, EVERYONE knows about it because the media kept playing volleyball with the story so it was unavoidable. THAT is the root of Apple's success and the only valuable "free promotion" a company needs.

Sure, it's nice to have rabid fans but for the most part then they turn OFF more customers than they bring in. (And this applies to fans of Sony/Nintendo/Android and even Palm. Superfans cause backlash)
  6.    #66  
    xome1983 your rebuttals are appreciated
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post

This movement needs a leader and I can't think of anyone better suited then the Pre Tattoo Guy. Let's talk about commitment to a platform. What do YOU have invested in Palm? Assuming that you are not a shareholder then you are really just an ETF fee away from moving over to Android, iPhone, WinMob7Series or some other platform. Mr. Pre Tattoo Guy can't just move to a Droid without being reminded of it every day when he looks in the mirror or walks around in a muscle shirt.

Bring back the Pre Tattoo Guy. He's the leader. He is The One.

I believe it is our fate to be here. It is our destiny. I believe this night holds, for each and every one of us, the very meaning of our lives. This is a war and we are soldiers. What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for? - Morpheus
    LMAO....this guy was GREAT!!!! Would love to find him or the masked Palm Pre guy. Anyone want to start a movement and post this pic as our avatar or signature????
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    If you're so adamant against promoting Palm in any way why waste your time and ours by posting in this thread? This thread was created (unless I'm mistaken) to drum up support for a product most of us enjoy. If you think buying the phone was enough that's fine but shut up and leave us who think other wise alone.
    I have the exact same advice for people trying to solicit members of this forum to "promote" the device. When they leave this forum alone, I'll leave them alone, deal?

Apple has stood on the backs of it's fan boys for a very long time. Sure Apple has had some failed products, every company has but the negatives of the gen 1 iphone out weighed the positives to most people yet here were are still arguing the validity of the TRUTH. I waited in line for the original iphone, I ponied up $600 only to be completely and utterly disappointed. The iphone stayed relevant because every rich stuck up apple snob had to have it. There were better devices when the iphone launched and there are better devices now, but word of mouth created enough demand that we're still looking at a stunted device out selling pretty much everything else at this point.
    Again, you extrapolate your own nonsense to the tens of millions of satisfied iPhone owners. If the first-gen iPhone truly had more "negatives" than "positives", the subsequent quarters' sales would like like Palm does. Palm's financials are the ones of a product that fits your description. And contra to this "It's the *******" BS, APPLE KEEPS GROWING each quarter.

There are better devices than the iPhone...for certain people. I am one of them, as are you. But I am not foolish enough to say whatever alternative I choose is "better" for everyone else because that is clearly not the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    That's debatable because these "fans" are also the reason for Apple's negative image in the general public.

I've been a Mac user since the early 90's and I've always said that the biggest obstacle for Apple is their own fans. Diehard fans think they are doing good by promoting a product, but properly promoting a product is an artform that most "enthusiastic" fans don't possess. So instead of friendly discussions about how ProductX will fit their lives, you see them aggressively slamming a persons choices, calling them "trolls" and essentially cramming products down throats just to make a sale. Being overly enthusiastic about anything is not very appealing to the average consumer.

As for Apple's true success? It's got nothing to do with the fans because clearly they could care less about them (Secret products, App Store control, Ditching Macworld, etc). So how do they do it then?

I'm giving full credit to their manipulation of the media. Look at Macworld (a trade show built in THEIR honor). Can anyone name 2 big Apple stories from Macworld 2010? I'm an Apple fan and I can't think of one. BUT... what about the iPad released 2 weeks prior? Whether you like the product or not, EVERYONE knows about it because the media kept playing volleyball with the story so it was unavoidable. THAT is the root of Apple's success and the only valuable "free promotion" a company needs.

Sure, it's nice to have rabid fans but for the most part then they turn OFF more customers than they bring in. (And this applies to fans of Sony/Nintendo/Android and even Palm. Superfans cause backlash)

All that says to me is that the apple fan boys are in a position to be heard. PC World, Engadget, BGR all of them obviously skew towards Apple. Every once in a while we get a product like the ipad which will inevitably outsell every other tablet PC (when in reality it's more of a giant ipod than an actual PC) not because it's a better product but because people in a position to promote it effectively will (IE the fan boys at the tech websites)
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    I agree the dude with the pre tat needs to be found!!!!!
    Palm crazy chick commercial were lame. The mother from the 80s were lame. Palm advertising is doing more to kill them selves than we can do to save it.
    The Droid phone does what any android phone does but man those commercials were sweet, short , went for the throat and made you want to get on the cutting edge of phone tech even though web os is a much better os. Palm really did put themselves in the grave and will most likely join intellivision in the dustbin of better tech to do them selves in....
    All that says to me is that the apple fan boys are in a position to be heard. PC World, Engadget, BGR all of them obviously skew towards Apple. Every once in a while we get a product like the ipad which will inevitably outsell every other tablet PC (when in reality it's more of a giant ipod than an actual PC) not because it's a better product but because people in a position to promote it effectively will (IE the fan boys at the tech websites)
    I love how "tech websites" are now capable of getting average joes to buy a pricey gadget 20-30 million times. That must explain Apple's dominance in the computer and TV set-top box industries.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I love how "tech websites" are now capable of getting average joes to buy a pricey gadget 20-30 million times. That must explain Apple's dominance in the computer and TV set-top box industries.

Wow, just wow. I could argue with an orange and get a more intelligent conversation.

Let's say for example that you have 10 people who reach heck, we'll just say 100. Ten people (the tech websites) promote the iphone to 100 people (The techs/nerds that frequent) then those guys show there friends (For this example we'll just say 5 friends) all the cool stuff the iphone CAN do and fail to point out the things it can't. Then say 3 of those friends buy the phone and then tell 5 of there friends and the cycle continues. Of course my numbers for this example are incredibly low but it's pretty much basic marketing. Word of mouth sells, if you don't understand that then I can't help you. I'm just not qualified.
    Anyone wanna come up with one of those nifty catch phrases?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ***I Twitter***

Wow, just wow. I could argue with an orange and get a more intelligent conversation.

Let's say for example that you have 10 people who reach heck, we'll just say 100. Ten people (the tech websites) promote the iphone to 100 people (The techs/nerds that frequent) then those guys show there friends (For this example we'll just say 5 friends) all the cool stuff the iphone CAN do and fail to point out the things it can't. Then say 3 of those friends buy the phone and then tell 5 of there friends and the cycle continues. Of course my numbers for this example are incredibly low but it's pretty much basic marketing. Word of mouth sells, if you don't understand that then I can't help you. I'm just not qualified.
    Maybe you should argue with an orange or another inanimate object that won't point out the rather obvious hole in your blathering:

While marketing can sell a product, it cannot sustain it. Ads for movies are huge building up to opening weekend, and then they pretty much stop. Why? Because then the film has to succeed on its own merits. Verizon got the Blackberry Storm to launch huge, selling a million in a month...then it cratered. Why? Because it had to succeed on its own merits.

Apple's most successful products have not dominated because of marketing or loyalists. They have succeeded because they provided something basic and important that competitors did not. The iPhone was such a product. It was and is one of the most compelling consumer electronics devices ever. Fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Maybe you should argue with an orange or another inanimate object that won't point out the rather obvious hole in your blathering:

While marketing can sell a product, it cannot sustain it. Ads for movies are huge building up to opening weekend, and then they pretty much stop. Why? Because then the film has to succeed on its own merits. Verizon got the Blackberry Storm to launch huge, selling a million in a month...then it cratered. Why? Because it had to succeed on its own merits.

Apple's most successful products have not dominated because of marketing or loyalists. They have succeeded because they provided something basic and important that competitors did not. The iPhone was such a product. It was and is one of the most compelling consumer electronics devices ever. Fact.
    But the iphone ISN'T a product, it's 3 products (soon to be 4 I gather) each incrementally better than the last. Just about the time the iphone begins to peter out they release another slightly better one preventing any real drop off. Steve Jobs is a marketing genius, they promoted the s*** out of a crappy product and launched an iEmpire because of it. Word of mouth, brand recognition, and fan boys carried that over to the masses while they scrambled to fix what they had to. Most informed people have come to the conclusion that the iphone isn't the best but sadly the informed people are the minority. Seriously, how did so many people sucking from Steve Job's teet get into Precentral? Or better yet why?

EDITED: Here's an example for you, Mac has little issues with viruses not because they are better equipped to deal with the threat but because more people use windows based PC's world wide. But if you ask the average person what the better product is and they'll almost always point to the Mac. They'll almost always talk about how it never gets viruses when in reality that's an effect of the lower market share and not anything apple did specifically. Why do people buy macs then? Because it has a picture of a fruit on the back and costs twice as much. Same with the iphone, people pick the iphone not because it's actually better (or on a better network) but because it's considered a luxury item therefore it MUST be better.

I'd also like to point out specifically that this line
    It was and is one of the most compelling consumer electronics devices ever. Fact.
    is actually an opinion and not a fact. Fact.
    Last edited by xome1983; 02/25/2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Forgot to replace a sentence I deleted in my flurry of typing.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Pre Tattoo Guy....what a *****! He might have well tattooed a Dodo bird on his arm. Palm is on life support and no amount of orange shirts is gonna help them. They missed their chance. They come out with great device and then shoot themselves in the foot with shi**y advertising.
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    Pre Tattoo Guy....what a *****! He might have well tattooed a Dodo bird on his arm. Palm is on life support and no amount of orange shirts is gonna help them. They missed their chance. They come out with great device and then shoot themselves in the foot with shi**y advertising.
    Negative Nancy Alert!
    ***I Twitter***

Ya know what, you're absolutely right! I'll be back, I'm off to burn my raiders jerseys because Al Davis never promoted me! Heck, while I'm at it let me get rid of my budweiser shirt, my A&W mug, my kid sisters spongebob backpack, my soda cup with the pepsi logo on the side, my... Well pretty much everything I own with some sort of logo or trademark because I don't wanna advertise for things that never advertised for me!
    Looks like you twisted the context to make an argument out of it. I own a Pre and many other branded items. I will not become some cheerleader and go organize a parade so that the Palm Executive will benefit from my hard work.

If you have the time and are willing to do it, more power to you. You want to be a fan or start a parade? How about doing it for a great cause like curing cancer and such.
    i am down lets get on facebook,youtube,twitter, and myspace promote it is really for our own good more users=more apps and its no sweat to update your facebook example: palm is awesome can your phone run 4 apps at a time no!!! mine can PALM
    i love my pre but palm is in deep crap. i have another upgrade next year thank god, if it goes the way of the dodo then sayonara palm.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast