Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 100
  1. #41  
    thats a good *** idea.
  2.    #42  
    Influenze lets make it happen!!! i am down ....Or lets make our own commericals with our video ap and mock apple what webos can do and apple can't
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphy View Post
    I disagree, one thing that Apple does well it's advertise and promote their products. Take the iPhone it's original ad(the internet in your pocket line) was what sold me, and went and bought myself a 16GB iPhone.
    On top of that APPLE is sitting on $40 BILLION cash...
  4. Raphy's Avatar
    Posts
    70 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #44  
    lol so now you want to copy what VZW did with the Droid. I don't think Palm wants to go down that road with Apple, they could simply reply by can your phone sync to iTunes..:***
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    No, we're just supposed to be fans of the platform. You know, people who talk about it and promote it amongst our peers, colleagues, family, friends, etc. Not whiny little brats with entitlement mentalities who just want Palm to do the impossible NOW!!!
    Nothing serves Palm better than certain owners of the Pre attacking OTHER owners of the Pre for not being positive enough. That'll expand the fanbase!!! Next up, blood loyalty oaths...

    If you think this element doesn't account for a great part of Apple's success, then you're just not looking closely enough. And if you want to be involved with an already commercially successful (but technically limiting) platform rather than helping to build a new (technically forward-looking and interesting) one, then go buy an iPhone.
    "Love it or leave it?" Another great solidarity builder!

    Sorry, son, but I "helped" when I ponied up my money at the Sprint store and used their logo'd device in the wild for months on end.

    What you fail to realize is that Apple didn't magically acquire millions of fans. They earned them.
  6.    #46  
    did not have that till they made their turnaround!!!! And their turnaround stemmed from ******* and gals
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Nothing serves Palm better than certain owners of the Pre attacking OTHER owners of the Pre for not being positive enough. That'll expand the fanbase!!! Next up, blood loyalty oaths...
    If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not), I was responding to your pouring cold water on someone trying to drum up some fan suppport. If we want this platform to be successful, we recognize that an entirely new platform will take some time to iron out, particulary for a small company with limited financial capabilities--and, in so recognizing the situation, we fans might be expected to accentuate the very real positives rather than harp on the negatives.

    When the original iPhone was released, Apple fans talked about how "innovative" it was, how "elegant," how much better and more intutitive it was than Windows Mobile and BB, etc., etc. In reality, the original iPhone was a limited, closed, crash-prone device that did nothing well. It wasn't a very good phone, it wasn't a very good mobile computing device, it wasn't a very good PIM. It didn't take video, didn't send MMS, didn't cut and paste, didn't have apps, etc., etc., etc.

    But Apple fans went with whatever it did do well and supported it in its infancy. Sure, they bought it--that's kind of a baseline, isn't it?--but they also talked it up and flashed it around and were willing to wait for the goodies to come.

    Tell me--what, precisely, did Apple do with the original iPhone that created their phenomenal success with it? I'd say, absolutely nothing. They even trashed their own early adopters by cutting the price by a few hundred dollars a few months after its release.

    Let's not rewrite history here. Apple has been successful because they have a core group of fans that back them completely, and are eventually paid back for their support (kind of, if you think a non-multitasking device with horrible PIM apps running in a close dictatorship is being "paid back"). Apple hasn't been successful because their version 1.X devices are so wonderful.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #48  
    It's not anyone's job to promote Palm besides Palm itself and using the Apple argument really doesn't work for me. They have a complete line of products behind the brand and a loyal following that buys everything they put out. I agree with what someone said before, buying Palm products is promoting them. They had huge momentum when the Pre was released Palm's initial choices did not take advantage of that to the fullest imo. Going to Sprint for the release was not ideal, as at that point Verizon was in need of a good smart phone in a bad way. Who knows, maybe Verizon turned it down because of future plans of the Droid and did not want any initial competition??

    When they did finally get added to the Verizon's lineup and released the Pre Plus, Palm really did not make a huge effort to compete with upcoming phone releases. There where minor upgrades and the media has been lackluster and very critical due to Palms seemingly slow progression. They really had a chance here to make a new wave of excitement. If not changing the hardware they should have at least included a snapdragon processor and had the new 1.4 upgrade completed and ready to go on release date. This would have made big news and really pushed consumers to consider the Pre Plus over the Droid. Who knows that could have solved any lag issues as well. Not to mention the phone would be competing with all the new Android phones soon to be released with the Snapdragon.

    Palm needs to do something soon, its that simple. The way things are moving along, its way to easy to get left behind.
    Last edited by Peterules; 02/25/2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo and I'm sure I missed another one
  9.    #49  
    Who said it was...I am calling all fans of Palm to spread the word!!! I will repeat something analogous when you are a fan of lets say NY giants and you tailgate or sport the jersey or talk football with another fan or person are you not doing the same with what this post is requesting. So do me a favor use some logic and if you are not a fan then dont. I am making a call to all fans of PALM and today should be the day we all unite and support our TEAM!!!!! The orange shirt is equivalent to the "jersey" and like tailgating analogy sport the shirt and talk to other fans of other phones and have a friendly debate!!
  10. #50  
    deleted
    Last edited by lopezpm; 02/25/2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Mean and dumb comment...sorry
  11.    #51  
    LOPEZPM....obviously you are not a fan so thus this post is irrelevant to you!!! If you were a fan you would be more receptive. Enjoy product
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by etrade18 View Post
    LOPEZPM....obviously you are not a fan so thus this post is irrelevant to you!!! If you were a fan you would be more receptive. Enjoy product
    I'm still a fan of the phones.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken (and I'm not), I was responding to your pouring cold water on someone trying to drum up some fan suppport. If we want this platform to be successful, we recognize that an entirely new platform will take some time to iron out, particulary for a small company with limited financial capabilities--and, in so recognizing the situation, we fans might be expected to accentuate the very real positives rather than harp on the negatives.
    And "fans" at this forum do just that: Enthuse about the device. And they are left to do so as often as they care to, by both the mods and also the other members. But asking someone who is not already inclined to do so to "promote" Palm is barely removed from a door-to-door salesman who wants you to "come work for him and sell his product". It's absurd, and I'm not afraid or reluctant to say so, which I am entitled to do.

    I gave this platform the ultimate and most important vote of confidence long ago: my dollar. I'm not going to promote it beyond that, even though I want it to succeed. If Palm cannot prosper by their own means, then they deserve to disappear from the marketplace. It's not a light thing to say because that means lots of people lose money and jobs. Having been there, I don't say it casually. But pragmatically speaking, they need to be self-sufficient. Otherwise, you're just prolonging the inevitable.

    When the original iPhone was released, Apple fans talked about how "innovative" it was, how "elegant," how much better and more intutitive it was than Windows Mobile and BB, etc., etc. In reality, the original iPhone was a limited, closed, crash-prone device that did nothing well. It wasn't a very good phone, it wasn't a very good mobile computing device, it wasn't a very good PIM. It didn't take video, didn't send MMS, didn't cut and paste, didn't have apps, etc., etc., etc.
    Wow, that's how you remember the iPhone at launch? Because I remember a device with far superior build quality to anything on the market, far superior web browsing, far superior screen, far superior media player software...which is precisely why people bought it.

    Apple didn't NEED PIM, or video, or whatever else at launch to turn the market upside down. They sold the iPhone on those qualities, and it was enough for one generation. Then, they took over pricing control by lowering it to $199 out of the door, and introduced "apps" to the public-at-large.

    But Apple fans went with whatever it did do well and supported it in its infancy. Sure, they bought it--that's kind of a baseline, isn't it?--but they also talked it up and flashed it around and were willing to wait for the goodies to come.

    Tell me--what, precisely, did Apple do with the original iPhone that created their phenomenal success with it? I'd say, absolutely nothing. They even trashed their own early adopters by cutting the price by a few hundred dollars a few months after its release.
    I already said what Apple did. Those accomplishments have just been caught up to 2.5 years later, or in some cases...not yet even. Apple can't make products world beaters by sheer force of will. Apple TV and the MacBook Air are proof positive of that.

    They DO have a hardcore group of fans, but they earned them.

    Let's not rewrite history here. Apple has been successful because they have a core group of fans that back them completely, and are eventually paid back for their support (kind of, if you think a non-multitasking device with horrible PIM apps running in a close dictatorship is being "paid back"). Apple hasn't been successful because their version 1.X devices are so wonderful.
    I hope you realize that's a minority opinion in the extreme. Your definition of "history" is a shaky one, at best.
  14. lotuskid's Avatar
    Posts
    77 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #54  
    i don't think this is such a bad idea. Three people have purchased Palm Pre's after using mine, and hearing my accolades on it. A fourth is considering buying one as well.

    Word of mouth may go a longer way than people think. Especially when mobile tech is such a mind-share business.

    I understand how some people have the mentality taht well it's just a business, and if palm can't survive then I'll move on. Well truthfully everyone will move on if Palm can't survive, BUT cell phones are so much more a community-based technology now, with so many independant sites and blogs dedicated to their phones.

    And if you own a Pre you are part of the Pre community, and that's why we're all even here on this blog/forum, to be part of the Palm Pre/Pixi culture.

    So heck, I'll wear an orange t-shirt, why not?
  15.    #55  
    phones but not the company
  16.    #56  
    Alhaqq thanks for being logical and understanding!!! Some people dont get it!!! Happy to hear your success with sharing your knowledge to "future" customers!!! Some of you who think this is "work" are not doing justice. I am sick and tired of hearing negative press and analyst mocking the phone etc. We fans need to unite and root for our team and today should mark the day!! Ceo Jon Rubenstein indirectly made a call to us today to spread the word about the brand and we can do it!!! So whoever is on the PALM fan bandwagon lets start today. This preannouncement with earnings is a joke!!! Long live palm!!!
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    And "fans" at this forum do just that: Enthuse about the device. And they are left to do so as often as they care to, by both the mods and also the other members. But asking someone who is not already inclined to do so to "promote" Palm is barely removed from a door-to-door salesman who wants you to "come work for him and sell his product". It's absurd, and I'm not afraid or reluctant to say so, which I am entitled to do.

    I gave this platform the ultimate and most important vote of confidence long ago: my dollar. I'm not going to promote it beyond that, even though I want it to succeed. If Palm cannot prosper by their own means, then they deserve to disappear from the marketplace. It's not a light thing to say because that means lots of people lose money and jobs. Having been there, I don't say it casually. But pragmatically speaking, they need to be self-sufficient. Otherwise, you're just prolonging the inevitable.



    Wow, that's how you remember the iPhone at launch? Because I remember a device with far superior build quality to anything on the market, far superior web browsing, far superior screen, far superior media player software...which is precisely why people bought it.

    Apple didn't NEED PIM, or video, or whatever else at launch to turn the market upside down. They sold the iPhone on those qualities, and it was enough for one generation. Then, they took over pricing control by lowering it to $199 out of the door, and introduced "apps" to the public-at-large.



    I already said what Apple did. Those accomplishments have just been caught up to 2.5 years later, or in some cases...not yet even. Apple can't make products world beaters by sheer force of will. Apple TV and the MacBook Air are proof positive of that.

    They DO have a hardcore group of fans, but they earned them.



    I hope you realize that's a minority opinion in the extreme. Your definition of "history" is a shaky one, at best.
    If you're so adamant against promoting Palm in any way why waste your time and ours by posting in this thread? This thread was created (unless I'm mistaken) to drum up support for a product most of us enjoy. If you think buying the phone was enough that's fine but shut up and leave us who think other wise alone. Apple has stood on the backs of it's fan boys for a very long time. Sure Apple has had some failed products, every company has but the negatives of the gen 1 iphone out weighed the positives to most people yet here were are still arguing the validity of the TRUTH. I waited in line for the original iphone, I ponied up $600 only to be completely and utterly disappointed. The iphone stayed relevant because every rich stuck up apple snob had to have it. There were better devices when the iphone launched and there are better devices now, but word of mouth created enough demand that we're still looking at a stunted device out selling pretty much everything else at this point.
  18. #58  
    Crazy. The only way I will start advertising Palm and the WebOs is if Palm pays me for it.

    I don't see Palm outside my house advertising for me or any charities.
  19. #59  
    Wow....didn't realize the Precentral community was filled with so many Negative Nancy Types.

    I commend the OP in trying to start a movement. Yes, Palm should be doing it. But that doesn't mean we can't. If you are a true fan of the phone, do what you can. If you don't want to, why do you have to stomp on our parade??? Really? Let us try to help.

    I feel Like the team from Dodgeball Movie...we are the underdogs, and we have to fight with the meanest bite.
    ***I Twitter***

    Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    wrong forum and its palm's job to advertise if they dont then theyll go out of business and they deserve to if they cant manage to keep themselves afloat
    It is up to Palm to promote their product NOT the end user. Plam has done a terrible job at promoting and advertising the webOS platform and the Pre.

    Instead of putting all that money in to the manufacturing of the Pixi, those funds should of been put towards perfecting the Pre and promoting it. Also Palm needs to stop funneling revenue into the original Palm OS and Palm products (Treo, Centro, etc.) as they are not money makers.

    All of Palms efforts should be put into perfecting and promoting webOS. Come on Palm get with the program already.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions