1.    #1  
    Intelís Core i7 Mobile processor

Gamers and video editors who have tried to do their thing on the road will know all too well that thereís no substitute for a fully-specced desktop machine Ė although Intelís Core i7 Mobile processors promise to change this.

The quad-core processors feature two-channel DDR3 1333MHz memory support and 1 x16 or 2 x8 PCI Express 2.0 graphics support. Intel claims youíll be able to encode HD video 81% faster than on a machine equipped with a Core 2 Quad Q9000 processor.

Alienware, Asus, Dell, HP, Sager and Toshiba have already announced Core i7 Mobile-based laptops, and you can expect the rest of the industry to follow suit shortly.

Intel’s Core i7 Mobile processors bring desktop performance to the road
    I don't think so.. I have an i7 and it just gulps power. Probably wouldn't be good on a mobile device like the Pre. And the chip is like half the size of the device itself lol
    I think OMAP 4 is the way to go right now. I am excited to see if Palm uses it in their new phone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    ... No. Not at all. Completely, totally, way off base. The lowest powered Core i7 has a TDP of 18 watts. That's not directly equivalent to the amount of power used by the CPU, but it can give you the general idea. The Intel Atom (much lower performance) has a TDP of around 3 watts at its lowest. An ARM CPU generally has TDP of less than a watt.

You're never going to get even close to the same low power from an x86 chip that you can get from an ARM CPU. Meanwhile, the CortexA9 (found in the OMAP4 chipset) is approaching Intel Atom performance.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    I don't think so.. I have an i7 and it just gulps power. Probably wouldn't be good on a mobile device like the Pre. And the chip is like half the size of the device itself lol
    Probably it is just for laptops, netbooks and slates PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I think OMAP 4 is the way to go right now. I am excited to see if Palm uses it in their new phone.
    is the cortex 9 the same as OMAP 4?

Cortex A9 is a CPU design by ARM Holdings. It's being used for the basis of the Apple A4 processor, and also is the CPU design that Tegra2 and OMAP4 are based around.

(Though of course Tegra2 and OMAP4 contain much more than a CPU, they're basically an entire system on one chip).
    off topic, but grats on breaking 5000 posts jhoff.

tegra 2 uses cortex 9, it will be in the joojoo and notion ink tablets coming out around summer time
    Haha I think that just means I check this site way too often.
    When you think about it, the dual core design, if used properly, would be really ideal for webos, which is built around multitasking. Could significantly speed things up. However, if WebOS continues to have lag with a cortex A9 then something much deeper is wrong with WebOS.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Haha I think that just means I check this site way too often.
    The two smiley's drinking was my subtle hint that you might want to go do the same

Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    When they say mobile processor, that means that it's meant for laptops...and in the case of i7, it will still be relatively high-end laptops. That thing is going NO WHERE near a cell phone for a LONG time. :P
    Hey, I hear the IBM POWER5 is pretty good. Lets stick that in a cell phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  15.    #15  
    I see thanks

Cortex A9 is a CPU design by ARM Holdings. It's being used for the basis of the Apple A4 processor, and also is the CPU design that Tegra2 and OMAP4 are based around.

(Though of course Tegra2 and OMAP4 contain much more than a CPU, they're basically an entire system on one chip).
    If this processor is available now, what is Palm waiting for???
    Since you want to get off topic... Are you kidding me? We can all get a million posts if we just type in our kneejerk reactions:

"... No. Not at all. Completely, totally, way off base."

way to start off the post. Make sure that "dummy" never asks a question again! /s
    Quote Originally Posted by frankwhite8536 View Post
    Since you want to get off topic... Are you kidding me? We can all get a million posts if we just type in our kneejerk reactions:
    And here I thought it was more because of the 6 years I've been a member here, but wow, now I see the error of my ways.
    And here I thought it was more because of the 6 years I've been a member here, but wow, now I see the error of my ways.
    Some people forget to factor in join dates. If you think about it, you have an average of around 2 posts per day.

Back on topic. I know the core i7 is efficient and much lower heat compared to core 2 duo, but it's way too much processor, heat/sizewise/powerwise for a phone. They require an active cooling system from everything I've seen. Not to mention webOS was written for ARM processors.