Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I have noticed MUCH better battery life with the Pre over the last couple of months. However I also hooked up a wireless router at home and have found that if I leave wifi turned on with the pre my battery drains nearly completely after just a couple of hours, even if it's just sitting unused on the table.

Is this normal? Some setting I can adjust?

My solution now is just to turn wifi on and off each time I use it. But I feel like when I've traveled in the past (the only times previously I've used wifi with the pre) that leaving it on didn't drain the battery like this.
    I have wifi on all the time at home,it is logical to think it may use more power,but I have not noticed. My bat. Does not drain in 2 hours. Yesterday I used it for a good 8 hours w wifi on before it went down to 6 percent.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    wifi turns off when the screen turns off
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymac85 View Post
    I thought they changed it on the last patch so it stays on 24/7 unless you manually turn it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    However I also hooked up a wireless router at home and have found that if I leave wifi turned on with the pre my battery drains nearly completely after just a couple of hours, even if it's just sitting unused on the table.

Is this normal? Some setting I can adjust?
    Not normal ... just having WiFi on/connected should not be a big drain. I have seen instances where the WiFi gets "stuck" in some loop where it does drain the battery quickly. A full reset (battery pull) fixed it for me.
    if left alone and it can't connect to anything it will poll every time you check it and shut off if there's nothing to connect to
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I keep my wifi on always, even when I'm not around a wifi station and I've not yet noticed this either. I'm wondering if not enough Pre owners are charging their batteries long enough when they do. First day I had my pre, I kept it on the charger for 2 days straight and have not really had a major issue. I've had the battery go down fast if I am using everything all at once, but not from normal standby modes. just my .02

...for anyone with battery problems, try charging your phone for 48 hours without unplugging it. You can still use it, obviously, but see if that makes a difference with battery. If not, I'd say you've probably got a bad battery....
    I also leave my wifi on all the time. I have done multiple test comparing battery drain with and without wifi. My results are both situations my battery drains almost the same both being around 1% an hour at idle. In use wifi seems to edge out my EV connect seeing how my apartment my switch to 1x once ever so often.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Having the wifi on can actually save battery life. If you're connected it won't keep searching for network signals and that will definately save on the battery drain.
    my fiancee had wifi on all day she went to work at 10:30am, when we went to sleep her batter was 80% at 11pm so no it doesn't drain battery. i noticed that yesterday so i turned it off for her she didn't notice it was on....

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Andymac85 View Post
    Yeah Wi-fi stays on until it's manually turned off now. From what I have been told Wi-fi is better for battery.
    Preware & WebOS Internals Supporter
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Main_Page

IRC chat
    #webos-internals
    WiFi definitely drains battery... The amount is variable, but WiFi will drain your battery in a similar way that roaming will drain your battery...
    my wifi is on 24/7, i NEVER turn it off, even when i'm not near a wifi hotspot... and i've never noticed any major battery drainage.

my phone easily lasts all day, and i text a lot.
    I've always been under the impression that the WiFi is less of a battery sucker than the EvDO on the Pre.

Check out this link about the comparative browsing times in the two modes, which is from this thread of olden times.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I've found that WiFi only seriously drains my battery when it's searching for a connection. If I actually have a solid one (at work or home), it might actually use less power than EvDO; I haven't really compared them.

So when I know I'm going to be somewhere that isn't likely to have a WiFi connection, or at least one that I have the ability to connect to (NJ Transit, for example, has a signal, but only for Comcast users), I just use the EvDO. It does help that Sprint's got good signal coverage nearly everywhere I frequent, so I almost never wind up on roam.
    I read these posts this morning and decided to test it out. I always leave wifi on because I use it at home, but I've never really paid attention to the battery drain. I have a touchstone at home, work and both cars. Since I get about 100 to 150 emails a day, battery life has just become something I deal with by charging somewhere with something.

Today I decided to go 4 hours on wifi and 4 off with battery monitor tracking everything. I ended up getting crazy results.

Battery drain with wifi on was 14.16% per hour. Wifi off gave me 4.96% per hour.
    With WiFi on, its always searching for a connection, even if its already connected.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    There have been many threads on this topic since 1.3.5 dropped.

Here's what it comes down to.
    *Some* people experience horrible battery drain any time they leave Wifi on
    and we simply don't know exactly why. 1.3.5 *did* definitely change
    the way the Wifi radio is used, but it doesn't affect everyone the same way.

Some people *do not* have a problem with it. I leave Wifi on all the
    time, and move between active Wifi environments (those my Pre knows and
    joins) and non-Wifi environments (the wild) , and almost always have other
    wifi networks within range that it can see but doesn't join. My battery
    life since 1.3.5 is *awesome*. Seriously, I charged my phone
    Saturday evening, took it off the charger around midnight, and didn't put
    it back on the charger until Tuesday noon when it was down to 28% .
    That's 60 hours of standby with very light usage, 2 polling email accounts,
    and Wifi on all the time. 1.2%/hr drain.

One theme we have seen running through some of the wifi + battery drain
    threads is that it seems to be most prevalent with some types
    of wifi routers, and not others. In particular, Dlink routers are
    often associated with high drain Pres, and Linksys routers seem to
    less so. It may be a false correlation though if it simply
    represents their respective popularity. (e.g. If Dlinks are 10x more
    popular then a random sampling will find 10x problems with them)

ian
    Last edited by Daemon; 02/25/2010 at 12:34 AM. Reason: fixing math
    sounds like a plan for stats... I'm game. Here's what I've got running:

Linksys (Cisco) WRT320N Wireless router running only Wireless G at 2.4Ghz

Battery life is doing fairly well....
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    thanks for all the replies..

Here's what I know: Lynksys router at home, I have a good solid signal throughout the house. I leave EDO turned off unless I leave the house. When I turn wi-fi on for the Pre it immediately finds and logs onto my home network. So everything looks pretty normal there.

But if I leave wi-fi turned on my battery will drain to the 20% warning within about 3 hours.

I do believe this is only happening IN my house, not when I'm elsewhere with wi-fi on. So this leads me to conclude it does have something to do with how the Pre is interacting with my router, even though I have a strong signal and it *shouldn't* be doing any searching for one. Are there any settings on either the Pre or router that I should be looking at?

I'll try the battery pull but I'm not holding my breath for that one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast