Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Who ever is having wifi problems check and make sure your router's firmware is up-to-date. If I leave my wifi on all the time which I do my phone will last 3 or 4 days at idle. With Us I'll unplug at 6:00am and at 10:00pm still be in the 50%ish battery level with normal use.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    I have noticed MUCH better battery life with the Pre over the last couple of months. However I also hooked up a wireless router at home and have found that if I leave wifi turned on with the pre my battery drains nearly completely after just a couple of hours, even if it's just sitting unused on the table.

Is this normal? Some setting I can adjust?

My solution now is just to turn wifi on and off each time I use it. But I feel like when I've traveled in the past (the only times previously I've used wifi with the pre) that leaving it on didn't drain the battery like this.
    nope not normal. I can generally let my pre sit for a day or two without charging if only wifi is on.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I have had my pre since launch on the same router. My battery life has taken a huge hit since 1.3.5 came out. At first I didn't know what to think. It would drain 15-20% per hour. It NEVER did this before the update. I know the update changed something that makes my battery life worse. I KNOW that it has to do with wifi too. I have updated all my firmware on the routers yet the problem still occurs. When my wifi is off the phones battery is normal. Before the 1.3.5 update my battery was better on wifi. This is DEFINATELY not the case now. If I'm on wifi, the battery just plain sucks. And it was never this bad before. Whatever they changed in 1.3.5... I hope they fix it in 1.4.
    Please people remember, it may not be the brand or even the model of the router...

On the router there is a FCCID look this up and find which chipset/radio the router is using, we could find that we that are having this issue could have this in common, it could be Linksys, Netgear, D-link and for that matter Cisco, and all use a bad board from Marvel that is giving us the problem with battery drain.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I see about 20% battery drain per hour with wifi on (and connected). With it off, I get about 2% drain per hour (sometimes less).

I second the thought that it may be happening only with specific routers because others are not affected. Also, is it possible that these are later builds of the Pre with slightly different wifi hardware?

Here's my router w/ latest firmware: WPN824 Hardware version: V2H1

Edit: Just to clarify, I didn't see this happening before the 1.3.5 update.
    I'm running the first version of WPN824 aka v1 - when I get back home I will run the FCC-ID to see what chips it is running, I know for a fact that there are WPN824's that run Atheros 2313, just maybe the other people with this issue are running similar hardware.
  7. jut
    There was another thread about this where many tests were conducted. As Daemon said, many people experiencing the problems either had a d-link or netgear, specifically the wpn824 model. Linksys seems to be fine. I did mult tests on my netgear wpn824 at home and my linksys wrt160n at work. At work I have no problems and get around 1% drain but at home I am usually around 20%. I hope palm realized this and fixed it for the next update but I doubt it.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jut View Post
    There was another thread about this where many tests were conducted. As Daemon said, many people experiencing the problems either had a d-link or netgear, specifically the wpn824 model. Linksys seems to be fine. I did mult tests on my netgear wpn824 at home and my linksys wrt160n at work. At work I have no problems and get around 1% drain but at home I am usually around 20%. I hope palm realized this and fixed it for the next update but I doubt it.

my router is Lynksys BEFW11S4 so I have to say Linksys is not fine.
    I think that linksys has an Marvell 88W8500 chip on it.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    a follow-up and (probably) solution

Under wi-fi preferences there is a "sleep settings" menu option. Selecting "turn off wi-fi when pre is asleep" seems to have takn care of the battery drain problem for me.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12