Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay folks, I've had my Pre for over 5 days now and Ive been trying to get Preware working on my Pre.

Let's get the most OBVIOUS question out the way. YES I HAVE DEVELOPER MODE ON. Haha, not to sound rude but that's like when your car stops and someone asks "did you run out of gas"....

Anyways, I have the latest Pre update of 1.3.5.1 I believe. I am running on Windows XP. I have WebOs doc and all that good stuff. But it never can read my Pre. I'm leaning towards thinking my USB drives suck or something even though my Ipod, jump drivers, Pre in USB and Media modes all work.

So those of you with Windows XP that have had problems, or anyone, could you please help me figure this out.....Thanks
    Did you hit File->Options->Novacom (re)installation?

Oh, and make sure you're in Developer mode!

...don't hurt me
    You can try restarting both the computer and the Pre, also some people have reported success by just unplugging and plugging in multiple times and suddenly it'll detect.

But go with SqyArc's suggestion first, make sure your in Dev mode.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Did you hit File->Options->Novacom (re)installation?

Oh, and make sure you're in Developer mode!

...don't hurt me
    Haha, yep hit that re install button.

I WISH my problem was as simple as not being in Dev Mode.
    one ither thing put it in just charge. that should work
    one other thing put it in just charge. that should work
    Not saying that you haven't already, but I would try starting over from the beginning. Follow the how-to .pdf to the letter and see how that works. I am by no means an expert but just tossing a suggestion out there
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    You can try restarting both the computer and the Pre, also some people have reported success by just unplugging and plugging in multiple times and suddenly it'll detect.

But go with SqyArc's suggestion first, make sure your in Dev mode.
    I will try the plug and unplug

Quote Originally Posted by cdp39940 View Post
    Okay folks, I've had my Pre for over 5 days now and Ive been trying to get Preware working on my Pre.

Let's get the most OBVIOUS question out the way. YES I HAVE DEVELOPER MODE ON. Haha, not to sound rude but that's like when your car stops and someone asks "did you run out of gas"....

Anyways, I have the latest Pre update of 1.3.5.1 I believe. I am running on Windows XP. I have WebOs doc and all that good stuff. But it never can read my Pre. I'm leaning towards thinking my USB drives suck or something even though my Ipod, jump drivers, Pre in USB and Media modes all work.

So those of you with Windows XP that have had problems, or anyone, could you please help me figure this out.....Thanks
    By any chance do you already have the terminal or terminus application installed? I believe it's actually possible to install Preware without WOSQI as long as you have access to a terminal.
    What exactly does this mean? Do you have Preware installed on your Pre and it won't run, or does it mean you can't even get it installed on your Pre?

But it never can read my Pre. I'm leaning towards thinking my USB drives suck or something even though my Ipod, jump drivers, Pre in USB and Media modes all work.
    Are you saying that WOSQI can not see that your Pre is attached?
    What method (tool) are you using to try and get Preware on your Pre?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    It's already been suggested that you reset both devices, but will reiterate that one.
    Also, be 100% sure you are using the Palm cable, not a 3rd party brand. Also, do not use a USB hub, hook it directly the the computer.
    I miss St.L people.....

Are you getting any specific errors? Like "Device not found"?

Take a quick sec and run over http://www.precentral.net/getting-started-preware to make sure you did not miss a step.
    try downloading & installing the sdk so you know you have drivers installed as well
    CDP39940, it is so long time since I had to do all this. However I recalled that I started with WebOSQI which means that you do have to get the USB connection running. So when you plug the USB cable into the Pre and your XP box does the Pre ask you what you want to do? If not then the Pre does not see the XP box’s USB drivers. Since you are pointing out that your USB is working with other devices I would say you could have a bad cable. Or maybe the little USB connecter end of the cable does not connect correctly to the Pre, here I am thinking that the black plastic cover can sometime get in your way (was this a “out of gas” question?).

PS: When the boys of summer stat playing say hello to Tony and Big Mac – I am a big A’s fan and are missing both of them.
    Bjarne Winkler
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ==> Pre: There's a patch for that!
    first things first.. your pre's drivers didnt get installed properly... so with the phone connected to the comp

1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.
    2. Click on the Performance and Maintenance link.
    3. Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simple double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.
    4. In the Performance and Maintenance window, click on the System icon near the bottom of the window.
    5. In the System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab.
    6. With the Hardware tab selected, click on the Device Manager button.

find your pre in the list it SHOULD have a yellow questionmark next to it and say novacom ... highlight and delete it...

disconnect your pre...

start up WebOS Quick Install

goto File > Options> (Re)Attempt Novacom install

Connect your pre ... WAIT UNTILL THE DRIVERS- ALL OF THEM- are FULLY INSTALLED!!!

you should than be good to go to install preware
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    What exactly does this mean? Do you have Preware installed on your Pre and it won't run, or does it mean you can't even get it installed on your Pre?

Are you saying that WOSQI can not see that your Pre is attached?
    I can't get it installed. WebOS gives me the "Please connect your device and hit OK" error

Preware gives me the Connect to Novacom, etc errors. Although Novacom is running, I disabled Firewall, charge mode and and Dev Mode is what I've already done

Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    What method (tool) are you using to try and get Preware on your Pre?
    WebOS, that could be my issue?

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It's already been suggested that you reset both devices, but will reiterate that one.
    Also, be 100% sure you are using the Palm cable, not a 3rd party brand. Also, do not use a USB hub, hook it directly the the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    I miss St.L people.....

Are you getting any specific errors? Like "Device not found"?

Take a quick sec and run over http://www.precentral.net/getting-started-preware to make sure you did not miss a step.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    first things first.. your pre's drivers didnt get installed properly... so with the phone connected to the comp

1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.
    2. Click on the Performance and Maintenance link.
    3. Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simple double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.
    4. In the Performance and Maintenance window, click on the System icon near the bottom of the window.
    5. In the System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab.
    6. With the Hardware tab selected, click on the Device Manager button.

find your pre in the list it SHOULD have a yellow questionmark next to it and say novacom ... highlight and delete it...

disconnect your pre...

start up WebOS Quick Install

goto File > Options> (Re)Attempt Novacom install

Connect your pre ... WAIT UNTILL THE DRIVERS- ALL OF THEM- are FULLY INSTALLED!!!

you should than be good to go to install preware
    I did all that. But whenever I plug the Pre back in after letting the installer do it's thing, I get the "Novacom, "Palm Novacom" notification
    I did all that. But whenever I plug the Pre back in after letting the installer do it's thing, I get the "Novacom, "Palm Novacom" notification
    please explain... your comp is notifying you??? if it is... wait a few mins fr the installation to complete... if this is not what you are talking about, than please provide more info
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    please explain... your comp is notifying you??? if it is... wait a few mins fr the installation to complete... if this is not what you are talking about, than please provide more info
    Palm Novacom is in the device manager. I push "Just Charge" and proceed to click Install button and the same errors occur.

I have the latest Flash too
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast