1.    #1  
    Is it possible to buy Palm Pre without contract from UK?
    If so, how much does it cost?
    Can I use it in another country?
    It is possible, but you'd have to buy a GSM Pre from Palm or eBay and hack it to hell. I wouldn't recommend it to be honest, it's a whole lot of hassle even if you're experienced at this stuff.

For more information on the hacking part, look here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ta-doctor.html

For prices and stuff, just look on eBay or contact Palm.
    Expansys were importing Pre's from Germany and selling them sans sims. II believe it is the long term plan for O2 to sell them also as Prepay, maybe once the app catalog(ue) has come out of Beta.

Watch this space
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Get one from Spain send a PM to zkyevolved. He just mailed mine today, unlocked, QWERTY.
    zkyevolved takes less money than expansys!
    // Beca
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by mplatcs View Post
    Is it possible to buy Palm Pre without contract from UK?
    If so, how much does it cost?
    Can I use it in another country?
    I imagine lots of them will be on sale on eBay soon enough, at a knock down price as people abandon them.

Mine included.
    how much do you want for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by beca View Post
    Get one from Spain send a PM to zkyevolved. He just mailed mine today, unlocked, QWERTY.
    zkyevolved takes less money than expansys!
    // Beca
    What is his price?
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Send zkyevolved a pm to find out as prices seem to drop allaround of Palm products. Maby you get an even lower price than me.
    // Beca
    Simens S3 -> Simens S10 -> Palm V & Simens S35i -> SE T610 & Palm T2 -> SE S700 & Palm T3 ->SE W810i -> Palm Pre- running WebOS 2.1!! @500Mhz -> Palm Pre 2. The Pre 2 rocks. -> Pre 3, Nice & Touchpad=> Future Pre 4 wanted.
    I paid 225 on Ebay, plus Rebel Sim Card 15. No "hacking to hell" required. Works perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocko View Post
    I paid 225 on Ebay, plus Rebel Sim Card 15. No "hacking to hell" required. Works perfectly.
    How did you get past the activation stage?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    How did you get past the activation stage?
    Not required!
    I too bought my Pre off eBay back in Nov 2009, got a RSC and it just worked first time round.
    No activation required - just the creation of a Palm Profile, naturally.

All was well until last night - I no longer have a working Pre - I think the RSC has died... my Pre just says "SOS Only".
    Do you mean the Palm registration bit? I had to do the factory reset thing to erase the previous owner, and then I just registered in the normal way.

Unless you're suggesting that the Ebyer had already done the "hacking to hell" before I got the phone? :-S
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocko View Post
    Do you mean the Palm registration bit? I had to do the factory reset thing to erase the previous owner, and then I just registered in the normal way.

Unless you're suggesting that the Ebyer had already done the "hacking to hell" before I got the phone? :-S
    Well I admit that 'hacking to hell' is a bit of an overstatement But yes, I would imagine the eBay seller would have installed a specific ROM that bypassed the activation stage.

I don't know for sure though. If it works: awesome
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    But yes, I would imagine the eBay seller would have installed a specific ROM that bypassed the activation stage.
    Nope, not at all. My Pre was brand new, boxed, sealed, etc.

I then had my eBay Pre exchanged by O2 (three times in fact - and each time I got a brand new boxed/sealed Pre) and I have needed absolutely NO hacking or ROM installation in order to get it working perfectly out of the box, with RSC, for each of the three Pre's.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Nope, not at all. My Pre was brand new, boxed, sealed, etc.

I then had my eBay Pre exchanged by O2 (three times in fact - and each time I got a brand new boxed/sealed Pre) and I have needed absolutely NO hacking or ROM installation in order to get it working perfectly out of the box, with RSC, for each of the three Pre's.
    Sorry I'm not trying to be an *****, just don't understand this entirely:

1) If you're using an O2 SIM ... well, that activates it, so you wouldn't need a hack. It's only if you were using a Vodafone, T-Mobile etc SIM that you'd need the hack.

2) If you're not using an O2 SIM, how and why would they replace a device you bought from a 3rd party retailer?
    Got mine, brand new unopened from CEX for 250 couple of months back, using on o2 PAYG no contract, just put the PAYG APN settings in.
    Absolutely mental Depeche Mode fan since 1988, iPhone themer, app UI design, PM me for anything graphics-wise.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi666 View Post
    Sqy, you're trying to teach applied math to kindergarten?
    ... - please make suitable comments once you have retracted your head from up within the depths of his exit hole.

Sorry I'm not trying to be an *****, just don't understand this entirely:

1) If you're using an O2 SIM ... well, that activates it, so you wouldn't need a hack. It's only if you were using a Vodafone, T-Mobile etc SIM that you'd need the hack.

2) If you're not using an O2 SIM, how and why would they replace a device you bought from a 3rd party retailer?
    No problem.

1] I have been using an Orange UK SIM since day one. I have never used an O2 UK SIM, nor do I own one.

2] They replaced the device because I had the original receipt and sales invoice for the original Pre [that was obtained from eBay] and it fell within 14 days of original purchase. All they needed were these two facts, proving legitimate purchase.

So to be clear, I have only EVER used an Orange UK SIM card with my numerous Pre's. Never once have I 'activated' a Pre. If you look at the RSC thread, you'll see other users haven't needed to active or hack at all either. It 'just works'.

(tomi666 - Let me know if you need me to break this information down further for you - perhaps when you've grown up, a little? )