Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I am new to smart phones and the Pre. I am not a power user, and the most important function besides a phone is as a pager. As I have mentioned in my other thread, I like to keep the phone on vibe. The Pre's vibe is weak and short. I have added patches to extend the vibe and to remind me every 2 minutes....these should have been built-in.

Meanwhile, the Droid has good apps for these functions. I am torn, as I want to keep the Pre, but I cannot afford to miss any messages. I suspect someone will come up with something soon.

Give me all the reasons you know for keeping the Pre over the Droid.

Thanks,
    Scott
    biggest reason for me is:

I hate landscae keyboards.

originally I hate slide out keyboards in general, but the Pre is vertiacl and ok in my book
    If you need us to tell you, than you might as well just go with the Droid. Cya!
    What you decide has zero effect on me so do whatever you want. I don't care.
    You're a big boy suck it up and decide for yourself.
    I hate these threads.
    Someone said it best in another thread: If the device doesnt suit your needs, then you should find one that does. If the Droid suits your vibration requirements, then I would go with it.

With that being said, I personally like the keyboard of the Pre, the multitasking metaphor, and Touchstone. But I envy the Google Navigation on the Droid, the wealthier selection of Apps, and that bigger screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweaner View Post
    I am new to smart phones and the Pre. I am not a power user, and the most important function besides a phone is as a pager. As I have mentioned in my other thread, I like to keep the phone on vibe. The Pre's vibe is weak and short. I have added patches to extend the vibe and to remind me every 2 minutes....these should have been built-in.

Meanwhile, the Droid has good apps for these functions. I am torn, as I want to keep the Pre, but I cannot afford to miss any messages. I suspect someone will come up with something soon.

Give me all the reasons you know for keeping the Pre over the Droid.

Thanks,
    Scott
    You say you have to install a patch for those functions on the Pre, but then you say the Droid has 'good apps' for those functions, which you'd have to install too. What exactly is the difference?

You can't slate the Pre for having to install a package in favour of a Droid where you have to install a package too.
    Just out of curiosity, if you are not using all the other features of a smart phone, why didn't you just by a feature phone that would better suit your needs. The Droid would just be overkill and you would just be having this same conversation on android central.
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I'm also on brink you guys. I loved my Motorola StarTac, why should I choose my StarTac over the Pre? I like clamshell layout and green screen on the StarTac. I'm not sure about this fancy color screen on the Pre.
    I think you should get THIS Non Power user phone

It has a VERY LOUD Vibrate... and is feature RICH, it makes phone calls, and lets you get your strength training at the same time

brickphone.jpg
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

you shouldn't
    bye
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    This thread is exactly why you should keep the pre. If you think people are being rude here, wait till you get on the Android boards...
    Hmmm.... The blue pill or the red pill?

Pick one. Only YOU can make that decision and only YOU have to live with the consequences.

We have no dog in that race.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Someone said it best in another thread: If the device doesnt suit your needs, then you should find one that does. If the Droid suits your vibration requirements, then I would go with it.

With that being said, I personally like the keyboard of the Pre, the multitasking metaphor, and Touchstone. But I envy the Google Navigation on the Droid, the wealthier selection of Apps, and that bigger screen.
    Made me LOL.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    Well, at least some of you gave intelligent and courteous answers. Others, not so much. As far as patches and Apps, even the Pre's patches do not yet give it the function it should have. I went with the smart phone because it can do things that would be useful, such as ePocrates. I am sure some of you also had to decide between these 2 phones, so why?
    Well, at least some of you gave intelligent and courteous answers. Others, not so much. As far as patches and Apps, even the Pre's patches do not yet give it the function it should have. I went with the smart phone because it can do things that would be useful, such as ePocrates. I am sure some of you also had to decide between these 2 phones, so why?
    Honestly if a Droid was on my radar right now I'd wait for Verizon to get their Nexus One. I'm going to have to go with everyone else. Noone should have to convince you to keep it. If it doesn't do what YOU need it to do, why is me telling you how it works for ME going to help YOU.

Meanwhile, the Droid
    I hate to be a *****, but you've decided for yourself...

This isn't like a gang (well that's what we say to outsiders) where you have to suffer to be a member..if the Pre doesn't fit your life, and doesn't meet your needs, I would move on. No ones gonna hurt you, you can come by here anytime....Just make a move and be done with it already. The phone is what it is[today] and its sure to get better. No one should convince you to stay with it.

Thank you..
    Last edited by twizardt; 02/24/2010 at 02:45 PM.

What we do in life echoes in eternity.....

"Four things come not back:
    the spoken word,
    the sped arrow,
    the past life,
    the neglected opportunity."
    Your question wasn't posed in an intelligent and thoughtful way. First of all, how can we answer for you when it's you that have the defined needs?

If a phone that has the options you listed, and needs to have them with no modification, then neither the Pre or the Droid is the phone for you, since both have to be modified.

If there are other options that are "must haves", and the Pre cannot do those, and doesn't apear will be able to in the near future, modifications or not, then you should get something else.

If you're looking for reasons to keep it, list the things you like vs the things you don't like and the level of importance for each, and decide (we don't know what you like, and their level of importance).

As for what the Pre should have, why? Because someone wants it to act like a pager? Strange reason, but there is a fix for that. I don't want to the Pre to exactly what everyone wants right out of the box. My needs are more simple, and that would bloat the OS.

I prefer the "choose what you need/want" method.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast