Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PIKCACHU20 View Post
    ...But seriously I also question why someone would then buy a data intensive phone, like the Pre, when their are better choices for people who do not want data....
    I do not find this to be the case. My family really enjoys the interface of the Pre, the UI, calendaring, book readers (TBA), offline apps, keyboard, etc. I do not believe there are any more smartphones with appealing UIs on any carrier networks that have all the features and functionality that the pre has without a data plan. Of course, I have been wrong in the past and will stand corrected....

Quote Originally Posted by mmarcus View Post
    Would it be better for you if you didn't have to buy data plans for your family but you had to spend $500/phone upfront? (I don't mean this sarcastically, I meant it as a serious question).
    Absolutely! In fact, I got so tired that no one offers a reasonable phone without a data plan, I ended up buying an iPod touch for each of my kids so they can do the things they need to do and just use the phone for calling/texting. It's irritating that they have to carry two devices, but in the long run, we've saved over $4000 in 2 years. That a huge chunk of change....

There would be, however a need to readjust the realistic price for the phone - personally the Pre is overpriced at $500 - that's just my opinion, but I believe it to be the case when the ipod touch 32GB can be acquired for $269. I do realize though that apple does manufacture more of their devices and can probably get parts for cheaper, so I'd say $350 is a reasonable price for the Pre.
    I'm with sf_basilix. I currently have a Treo 680. I have no data plan and don't miss it. I've had Palms for years, for calendar/task/contact management. My Treo's cell usage costs me 8 dollars and change each month (yeah, that is not a typo....eight!) and the minutes are more than adequate. Going to a contract which would cost me over 10 times that amount is just not going to happen. I am waiting for the AT&T Pre, and I'm hoping that I will be able to get it unlocked/sans data plan sooner rather than later. I am planning on wifi to get my Exchange calendar/contacts into my Pre, and any other data I want off the 'net. I sit at a computer all day with LARGE screens and broadband access....what do I need an expensive data plan for?!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I agree with sf_basilix.

When the iphone came out you had to hook it up to the computer to activate, Palm could do the same to create a profile or to activate it. As for apps, there could also be an option to download to computer to transfer to the phone.

The only reason me and my wife have a current palm phone is because sprint has a decent discount and family plan. I think if someone has to pay over $60 per phone just to use it, is being worked over.

There is no valid reason why it can't be done.

And to make sure no one uses data, cell phone companies can just block it from the account. Its not impossible to do. The cell phone and manufacturer companies just don't want to.

As for those of you who compare to what it is like, it would be like buying a brand new car but getting the smaller motor, stereo and basic/less options. You still want the car because of the looks and basic functions. You just don't want to fork over the extra money for something you don't care for or can live without.
    I think that this thread shows what a big mistake it was to make the Sprint version of the Pixi go without wifi. With wifi, suddenly all the arguments about how useless it is without data go away. But Sprint chose to semi-cripple the Pixi by making Palm leave out the wifi. Hopefully, Palm will learn from Sprint's mistake and create a wifi only iPod Touch-like device which sells without a contract or any other tie to a mobile carrier. They already have two decent designs in the Pre and Pixi, it shouldn't cost too much to make another one based on one of those form factors.

While I'm pontificating. Palm might as well reach into their own recent past and create a webOS device based on the old Palm TX. Keep the same form factor and upgrade the innards to the Pre's specs. Add a slideout keyboard and replace the hard buttons with a gesture area. Maybe even create a "Pro" model with a VGA screen. Sell it as a standalone device with only wifi. It would be popular with people who don't have access to 3G or who don't want to pay extra for a data plan.
    ...and with Verizon now charging an arm and leg for data plan, and removing the unlimited plan, who still thinks they should be gouged for these rates? I say we protest this and demand they offer us phones without the option for data. Sure, my pre won't be as functional on the road, but nowadays there are wifi hotspots virtually everywhere I do work.

Why is it that I can get a 30MB unlimited connection at my home but have to pay $100 for a crummy 3G connection that's capped and limited? Talk about ripping off customers.

If they can cap it, they should also offer the ability to remove the plan on smart phones also.
    Last edited by sf_basilix; 06/21/2011 at 09:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    ...and with Verizon now charging an arm and leg for data plan, and removing the unlimited plan, who still thinks they should be gouged for these rates? I say we protest this and demand they offer us phones without the option for data. Sure, my pre won't be as functional on the road, but nowadays there are wifi hotspots virtually everywhere I do work.

If they can cap it, they should also offer the ability to remove the plan on smart phones also.
    PagePlus Cellular, it's a prepaid MVNO running off Verizon's network. You can use almost any phone that would work on Verizon's network with the exception of Blackberries, Verizon Prepaid phones, and any phones with account locked ESNs.

They don't require you to use data. plus you'd be charged an arm and a leg if you tried to use data with them but their voice and messaging prices are good.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12