Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    The ad definitely shows the ability to video record on the iphone very well and I agree Palm should make a few commercials like this too... but I cracked up at the end when she said "we would have never been able to do all this without the iphone". Really? Did you forget video cameras existed prior to the iphone and so did email and teleconferencing? Sure, it does bring it all together nicely, but come on... they make it sound like it was never able to be done before at all....
    and yet the avg consumer who buys the iphone doesnt stop and think about this. they just hear that and are like WOW REALLY?! OMG I WANT ONE. (maybe not all but im sure there are def ppl out there like that)
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Why do you constantly take discussions about a product and turn them to be personal arguments that hijack the original subject? Nobody cares about "Urkel" and despite the 6yrs experience you brag about, nobody cares about "HParsons" either. So hijacking someone elses thread just so you can bully people who disagree with you is a waste of time for anyone trying to read the actual discussion. If you think someones trolling then report it to a mod and let them uncover the secret agendas of the iPhone Community spies that you see behind every corner.
    Except that the information you provided was incorrect. And frankly, that's exactly the way you came off. Someone said "my device can do that", and you said "no it can't" - but you were wrong. It can.

And then you went on to use the example to berate the entire " Palm community" and what they "overemphasize". Please, give up on the "turning it personal" nonsense.

As for the Topic:

WiFi+Phone as a Commercial?
    The commercial subject is a specific scenario (Yes, we are speaking about a specific scenario) in which a gameshow calls you and you get 60seconds to look up an answer while on the phone. Since CDMA users can't use 3G+Phone then your solution is to 1) Drive to Starbucks 2) Turn on the WiFi antenna 3) Access WiFi hotspot and finally 4) Look up the answer? C'mon. This is acceptable for an ad trying to push customers to buying a Pre?
    Well, I supposed one could look at it that way. More to the point though, those that are overly concerned about WiFi connectivity tend to seek out places that have WiFi connectivity. Personally, I'm within range of a WiFi for my Pre about 80% of the time I've got it in my pocket. Weekends sailing and riding the bike are the exception.

Even more to the point, you gave a snarky answer to someone else (though you seem to be somewhat put off by them when they're directed at you, but that's a whole 'nother topic), and I figured one snarky (incorrect) answer, deserved another snarky answer (that was correct).

Now, for your specific example; no, if I were producing such an ad, there is no way I'd say " 1) Drive to Starbucks 2) Turn on the WiFi antenna 3) Access WiFi hotspot and finally 4) Look up the answer?" That would be ridiculous. What I would do, is show the user pick up his phone (which already has WiFi turned on, mine always does) at a Starbucks, a Mickey D's, work, or any other number of places that frequently have WiFi's, and show the user answering the question after looking it up on the internet. Then I'd put a tiny disclaimer at the bottom that says something like "simulatneous internet accass and voice communication requires WiFi access" in the tiniest letters I'm allowed, and for the briefest time allowed.

Sort of like the time disclaimer on the iPhone ad.

The exciting thing about the current SmartPhone market is that even though every product has downfalls, every phone also has unique features that are better than the competition. Pointing out which feature is worth bragging about and which a company should probably sweep under a rug isn't taking sides. It's being realistic.
    You really think those commercials have anything to do with "realism?" The dude getting halfway downloaded because someone else's network is faster? Or the Apple Guy who is cool and the Windows Guy who isn't (when in reality, the Windows Guy actor is really an Apple guy).

It's not about sweeping something under the rug. It's about making your device look good, and emphasizing the features of it.
    Last edited by hparsons; 02/24/2010 at 04:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    Really? Did you forget video cameras existed prior to the iphone and so did email and teleconferencing? Sure, it does bring it all together nicely, but come on... they make it sound like it was never able to be done before at all....
    There is nothing misleading about the claim.

1. She didn't say the tasks could not have been done without an iPhone; she said she would not have been able to do them. That is a huge distinction that hits home with a lot of people. Most people assume that almost anything can be done with technology. They just believe that those tasks are not accessible to average people. For the most part, they are absolutely right. The iPhone ad makes it clear that these advanced tasks are accessible to the masses with the iPhone. Big win.

2. Let's consider the process of sending a candid video to multiple recipients and talking to them about it at the same time. Have a video camera turned on and ready to shoot at all times, capture the video and get it from the camera to the computer, transcode the video into something editable, edit the clip and compress it into something sendable, find your phone's user guide and figure out how to make a conference call... I'm sure I left a few things out. Now, can you really do that in one, simple to use, pocketable device?

For all those who believe the claim that she couldn't have done it without the iPhone is bogus, this is exactly the reason why you don't get why the iPhone is winning. You are convinced it is just a marketing sensation and you will never understand why so many people find it so appealing. It was the first piece of high tech that my wife was able to use without any training. I have seen so many people from every demographic become empowered with the iPhone in ways that they never were with other devices. Keep thinking that all Palm needs is a better ad. You have completely missed the point.
  4. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Why do you constantly take discussions about a product and turn them to be personal arguments that hijack the original subject? Nobody cares about "Urkel" and despite the 6yrs experience you brag about, nobody cares about "HParsons" either. So hijacking someone elses thread just so you can bully people who disagree with you is a waste of time for anyone trying to read the actual discussion. If you think someones trolling then report it to a mod and let them uncover the secret agendas of the iPhone Community spies that you see behind every corner.

As for the Topic:

WiFi+Phone as a Commercial?
    The commercial subject is a specific scenario (Yes, we are speaking about a specific scenario) in which a gameshow calls you and you get 60seconds to look up an answer while on the phone. Since CDMA users can't use 3G+Phone then your solution is to 1) Drive to Starbucks 2) Turn on the WiFi antenna 3) Access WiFi hotspot and finally 4) Look up the answer? C'mon. This is acceptable for an ad trying to push customers to buying a Pre?

The exciting thing about the current SmartPhone market is that even though every product has downfalls, every phone also has unique features that are better than the competition. Pointing out which feature is worth bragging about and which a company should probably sweep under a rug isn't taking sides. It's being realistic.
    What about those who own GSM Pres? Or the ones that will soon be on AT&T?

PS - You can't go more than 20 feet in the town I live in without bumping into an open WiFi signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    There is nothing misleading about the claim.

1. She didn't say the tasks could not have been done without an iPhone; she said she would not have been able to do them. That is a huge distinction that hits home with a lot of people. Most people assume that almost anything can be done with technology. They just believe that those tasks are not accessible to average people. For the most part, they are absolutely right. The iPhone ad makes it clear that these advanced tasks are accessible to the masses with the iPhone. Big win.

2. Let's consider the process of sending a candid video to multiple recipients and talking to them about it at the same time. Have a video camera turned on and ready to shoot at all times, capture the video and get it from the camera to the computer, transcode the video into something editable, edit the clip and compress it into something sendable, find your phone's user guide and figure out how to make a conference call... I'm sure I left a few things out. Now, can you really do that in one, simple to use, pocketable device?

For all those who believe the claim that she couldn't have done it without the iPhone is bogus, this is exactly the reason why you don't get why the iPhone is winning. You are convinced it is just a marketing sensation and you will never understand why so many people find it so appealing. It was the first piece of high tech that my wife was able to use without any training. I have seen so many people from every demographic become empowered with the iPhone in ways that they never were with other devices. Keep thinking that all Palm needs is a better ad. You have completely missed the point.
    agreed 100%. It's much more than marketing...even without multitasking the iphone simply works...the pre lags...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123