Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    the first steps and family vacation ads were targeted at moms. i doubt its a coincidence after the verizon mom ads. you can see the ads on apples site.
    I dont see why palm doesnt capitalize on the multitasking in the way that the iphone capitalizes on "making things easy". like have someone look up a webpage (lyrics to a song maybe) and be like "you can send that to a friend with ease". then show them moving to a texting card, paste the lyrics and then say something about how u can go right back to what u were doing w/o having to start over. (i know it sounds complicated - but i think its cuz i am horrible at explaining lol)

seriously tho. the idea is pretty straight forward. move from web to texting back to web w/o having to start over. Should be pretty easy to show.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    I saw the "first steps" commercial while watching something on my DVR. Like Apple or not, that commercial was brilliant, accurate and to the point, unlike their PC/Mac ads and AT&T's Luke Wilson ads which are both annoying AND misleading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustoid View Post
    I saw the "first steps" commercial while watching something on my DVR. Like Apple or not, that commercial was brilliant, accurate and to the point, unlike their PC/Mac ads and AT&T's Luke Wilson ads which are both annoying AND misleading.
    The Luke Wilson ads are just plain ********. Its like AT&T is a child shouting "I know you are, but what am I?!".
    Always pimpin' PunnyShirts.com
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I completely agree. Palm should advertise the hell out of multitasking, which is the a huge feature the iphone is lacking. You could have a "who wants to be a millionaire" scenario. Where a someone is using a lifeline to phone a friend. You answer the call with your pre. While listening to the question, you simultaneously google the answer. winner winner, chicken dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    I dont see why palm doesnt capitalize on the multitasking in the way that the iphone capitalizes on "making things easy". like have someone look up a webpage (lyrics to a song maybe) and be like "you can send that to a friend with ease". then show them moving to a texting card, paste the lyrics and then say something about how u can go right back to what u were doing w/o having to start over. (i know it sounds complicated - but i think its cuz i am horrible at explaining lol)

seriously tho. the idea is pretty straight forward. move from web to texting back to web w/o having to start over. Should be pretty easy to show.
    That's because the infamous "Too Many Cards Open" error will pop up in the middle of the ad...then what?
    This is an ad for smartphones in general. You guys have no idea how many iphone owners don't even know how to use the thing except to make callls texts and maybe check email. When you sell so many, you're bound to have a vast majority who have little or no idea about it's use.

as far as the subject, it just so happens that moms who can really use these devices have no idea how it works. This is almost just a quick demo for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwarren2 View Post
    I completely agree. Palm should advertise the hell out of multitasking, which is the a huge feature the iphone is lacking. You could have a "who wants to be a millionaire" scenario. Where a someone is using a lifeline to phone a friend. You answer the call with your pre. While listening to the question, you simultaneously google the answer. winner winner, chicken dinner.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    I dont see why palm doesnt capitalize on the multitasking in the way that the iphone capitalizes on "making things easy". like have someone look up a webpage (lyrics to a song maybe) and be like "you can send that to a friend with ease". then show them moving to a texting card, paste the lyrics and then say something about how u can go right back to what u were doing w/o having to start over.
    Actually, I think that scenario isn't possible on the Pre because we can't copy/paste selected text on a website. And to be honest, Palms method of copy/paste isn't something they should ever show in a commercial.

As for the iPhone, ironically it does exactly what you're scenario requires. Open site, selectively copy text, open messaging, paste it in, go back to safari right where you left off.

I know iPhones lack of multitasking sucks but given the speed of the OS then single-tasking multiple apps can many times be faster than dealing with a multitaskable, but slow, WebOS. Hopeully that changes soon.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Sorry for being the "you can't do that" police again, but that scenario isn't possible on Pre (or any Verizon/Sprint phone) because we can't go online while on a call because of CDMA...

So in your scenario the chicken dinner actually goes to iPhone (or ATT/Tmobile) users because they CAN surf and call at the same time.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the Palm community overemphasizes the importance of multitasking to such a degree that they fail to see all the other limitations we have to deal with.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    urkel, I'm pretty sure you can talk and use wifi at the same time.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    urkel, I'm pretty sure you can talk and use wifi at the same time.
    I know I'll be accused of fighting too hard about a fictional scenario, but I'm more likely to be called by a friend on a gameshow than to be somewhere with the Pre WiFi antenna on, logged into a WiFi connection and no actual computer in reach.

I know, it's a commercial about a fun situation but these are meant to sell phones. And "WiFi connection and fully charged battery required" isn't a disclaimer that would sell more Pres.

People may not like to hear it but iPhone ads (and Palms original Pre ads) are effective because they have a real world scenario and show you close-up how their phone can simplify it. If Palm stuck to that campaign there would be twice as many WebOS devices out there.
    Last edited by Urkel; 02/24/2010 at 12:45 PM.

See this is the problem. You can already do that on an iPhone. I can already paste lyrics into an email from a website. If I leave the email and go back in, the email is in the exact same position.

I think most people do not care or even know what multitasking is.
    But, I can do this on the iPhone now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    Sorry for being the "you can't do that" police again, but that scenario isn't possible on Pre (or any Verizon/Sprint phone) because we can't go online while on a call because of CDMA...

So in your scenario the chicken dinner actually goes to iPhone (or ATT/Tmobile) users because they CAN surf and call at the same time.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but the Palm community overemphasizes the importance of multitasking to such a degree that they fail to see all the other limitations we have to deal with.
    Careful there copper, but my Pre has WiFi, and I can do that.

Not trying to be a jerk, but if the iPhone community comes on here to correct the Pre/Pixi users, he/she better know their stuff. You guys overemphasis your superiority (on our sites) so much you fail to see the capabilities of the devices you diss...
    I know I'll be accused of fighting too hard about a fictional scenario, but I'm more likely to be called by a friend on a gameshow than to be somewhere with the Pre WiFi antenna on, logged into a WiFi connection and no actual computer in reach.
    Really? You never go to Starbuck or MacDonald's (two establishments that have WiFi in this area, but don't let you touch their computers, I'm sure there are others).

I know, it's a commercial about a fun situation but these are meant to sell phones. And "WiFi connection and fully charged battery required" isn't a disclaimer that would sell more Pres.
    That's just it. Fans will simply pooh-pooh over any small disclaimers (just like you did), and only look at the success of the scenario.

People may not like to hear it but iPhone ads (and Palms original Pre ads) are effective because they have a real world scenario and show you close-up how their phone can simplify it. If Palm stuck to that campaign there would be twice as many WebOS devices out there.
    What are you talkin' about? Just about everyone on here said the ad was good and it was effective. What people are aguing with you about is your "yours won't do that mine will" nonsense.

Personally, I thought the ad did a very good job of playing up what it does. The area I thought it failed in was that it didn't do much to point out how few other devices (and networks) can do the same thing. Lots of people are going to walk away with the impression that "my device can do that too". Especially Pre owners, if advertisements play up the video capabilities post 1.4.

Actually, I think that's a great "me too" marketing opportunity for Palm (and yes, "me too" marketing works too). Pre user says (after 1.4) "Oh yeah, mine can do the video thing too" (while the iGeek looks over his shoulder), "Yeah, I'm letting my friends know mother and sister see it too, while I browse their Facebook... Oh, that sound, that's Pandora playing while I browse and listen to them rant on... Really, your phone doesn't do that???? wow...."
    I would rather show of apps talking to each other. Eg fandango puttings appointments in for movies into your calendar.

You know what I would also really show off? Facebook synergy. Show that when someone updates their facebook contact info, it is automatically updated in your phone, including their photo. That will sell to people.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    This point cannot be overstated.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I would rather show of apps talking to each other. Eg fandango puttings appointments in for movies into your calendar.
    This is the direction Palm needs to go as it is the only way to actually demonstrate the benefits of multitasking in a commercial. You need the phone to 'think' for you so others go, "Wow, my iphone doesn't do that."

As we have all figured out, Apple succeeds by demonstrating how to preform tasks easily on the IPhone. 'This' is how video is done. Simple. At this point, you cannot out IPhone the IPhone when it comes to elegance of task because in the public's eye, they have already won that game.

That just means Palm needs to change the game it's playing, similar to the way Microsoft is with Windows Phone 7 Series and Hubs. Palm will only be able to demonstrate an Apple-level wow factor with multitasking when the phone does more with the idea of Synergy than allowing you to pull multi pieces of data from different sources.

Throw out a commercial where you the user are getting tons of information in the form of calls, notifications, texts and mms, etc and the pre is handling it all with grace as programs work together to make your life easier, and suddenly instead of chasing apple, it's on the defensive. Then the iphone becomes sort of a toy.

It comes down to two things:

1. What is Palm is doing with Synergy? WebOS needs apps, but more than that it needs apps that work in concert and think for you, or this is just another phone that happens to have an intuitive interface. Is Synergy an actual shift in information ideology, like Microsoft Hubs--pulling away from apps slightly into more intuitive information gathering--or is it just a marketing gimmick, easily copied by every competitor through apps?

2. How long does Palm feel they have to make great strides in terms of WebOS functionality? All the Palm doom-sayers need to chill--they arn't going anywhere. Apparently, there is a 5-year plan in place that is going to be followed to the T. Is there a large update they are waiting for before they do a big ad push? Google basically tested Android and the G1 on Tmobile for a long time before making a larger mindshare push with later models. Now the Droid and Nexus One are the big boys on the block and models just keep coming.

Is there a certain amount of Progress Palm is waiting for before they feel comfortable flat out demoing this thing, and, if so, how long will it take according to the 5-year-plan to get there?

While I believe in Rubenstein, the speculation sure is addictive.
    Last edited by Stihl; 02/24/2010 at 03:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Careful there copper, but my Pre has WiFi, and I can do that.

Not trying to be a jerk, but if the iPhone community comes on here to correct the Pre/Pixi users, he/she better know their stuff. You guys overemphasis your superiority (on our sites) so much you fail to see the capabilities of the devices you diss...
    Why do you constantly take discussions about a product and turn them to be personal arguments that hijack the original subject? Nobody cares about "Urkel" and despite the 6yrs experience you brag about, nobody cares about "HParsons" either. So hijacking someone elses thread just so you can bully people who disagree with you is a waste of time for anyone trying to read the actual discussion. If you think someones trolling then report it to a mod and let them uncover the secret agendas of the iPhone Community spies that you see behind every corner.

As for the Topic:

WiFi+Phone as a Commercial?
    The commercial subject is a specific scenario (Yes, we are speaking about a specific scenario) in which a gameshow calls you and you get 60seconds to look up an answer while on the phone. Since CDMA users can't use 3G+Phone then your solution is to 1) Drive to Starbucks 2) Turn on the WiFi antenna 3) Access WiFi hotspot and finally 4) Look up the answer? C'mon. This is acceptable for an ad trying to push customers to buying a Pre?

The exciting thing about the current SmartPhone market is that even though every product has downfalls, every phone also has unique features that are better than the competition. Pointing out which feature is worth bragging about and which a company should probably sweep under a rug isn't taking sides. It's being realistic.
    The ad definitely shows the ability to video record on the iphone very well and I agree Palm should make a few commercials like this too... but I cracked up at the end when she said "we would have never been able to do all this without the iphone". Really? Did you forget video cameras existed prior to the iphone and so did email and teleconferencing? Sure, it does bring it all together nicely, but come on... they make it sound like it was never able to be done before at all....
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast