1.    #1  
    So my Pre just died for no apparent reason. Its just sitting there on the touchstone dead as a doorknob. No idea why. It has only been dropped once and that was a few months ago. I'm not mad and cursing Palm...just slightly annoyed. Tried taking the battery out and putting it back in...nothing. Its a goner.
    Don't give up hope, you can always buy a new battery if worse comes to worse.
    I'm on my third Pre, but the exchanges all occurred early on -- two times in June and once in July.

Third time is the charm, but I've been pulling the battery a lot lately. The phone gets "stuck" at least once a week. One night, the keyboard stopped working. Pulled the battery. All better.

After a batter-pull, the phone will sometimes hang on the Palm boot-screen forever. Pull the battery again... works like a charm.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    So my Pre just died for no apparent reason. Its just sitting there on the touchstone dead as a doorknob. No idea why. It has only been dropped once and that was a few months ago. I'm not mad and cursing Palm...just slightly annoyed. Tried taking the battery out and putting it back in...nothing. Its a goner.
    Oh, if your phone is dead -- and you honestly did not cause the damage -- don't take any of Sprint's crap. You deserve a BRAND NEW PHONE. Not a refurb. No deductible.
  5.    #5  
    I don't even get a Palm screen. It was working fine all night and the battery was over halfway full. I pull the phone out of my pocket and it won't come on. Went out to my car and plugged it in just to see if the battery had died and still nothing. Not even the battery charging screen. Pulled the battery and still nothing. Its been sitting on the touchstone since I got home and is showing no signs of life at all. Either the battery completely failed out of the blue...or the hardware did. We'll find out tomorrow when I go to the sprint store.
    My 3rd one was the charm as well.. Stand your ground @ the sprint store!
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    R.I.P Pre
    Didn't you already replace your launch day Pre last year?

Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    I bought a Pre on launch day. It was great for the most part. I fell in love with the phone as a whole. Then my software went nutty after 1.2. I returned it to sprint and got a new phone. I don't like the build quality as much on this one as I did on my first one but both of them have problems.

1st Pre:

Slider crash problem (loose battery...stuck a piece of paper in there)
    Slider rubbed and scuffed the keyboard area

2nd Pre:

Oreo effect
    Slider rubs and scuffs keyboard
    backlight on keyboard is very dim in the middle on the TYGHVB keys.
    USB port doesn't close properly. (sticks out a little bit when closed).

Sucks because launch day Pre was pretty solid, but the software just went completely crazy on me. Calculator disappeared, notification sounds went away. YouTube, streaming media quit working, and the camera would never load anymore. .....THEN when i reset the phone my palm profile lost all my contacts. UGH it was hell. Not even the WebOS doctor helped it.

Love this phone and its potential but they really botched the hardware. Hopefully the Pre2 will be better.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I would try taking it off the touchstone and directly plugging it into a charger for 30 minutes and see what happens.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Didn't you already replace your launch day Pre last year?
    Good catch. You're right I have already replaced one phone. However I didn't count that one as it probably didn't need to be replaced in retrospect. I was just a noob to the Pre and didn't know how to fix it myself at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejohnnyk View Post
    Oh, if your phone is dead -- and you honestly did not cause the damage -- don't take any of Sprint's crap. You deserve a BRAND NEW PHONE. Not a refurb. No deductible.
    You will not get a brand new phone. I had a launch day Pre. It developed the USB crack that was extending into the touchscreen. I took it to a Sprint store last week with a service technician and he authorised a replacement. It was a refurb, but it looks to be very solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    You will not get a brand new phone. I had a launch day Pre. It developed the USB crack that was extending into the touchscreen. I took it to a Sprint store last week with a service technician and he authorised a replacement. It was a refurb, but it looks to be very solid.
    Yes, you're correct.

However, while I've replaced phones with refurbs in the past, and they worked just fine, I personally will not accept a refurbed Palm Pre under the one year warranty if the phone defect is clearly a quality or manufacturing problem.

For some, it doesn't matter, and that's cool.
    I personally will not accept a refurbed Palm Pre under the one year warranty if the phone defect is clearly a quality or manufacturing problem.
    Good luck. I've never known anybody to get a new phone out of the 30 day purchase window.
    Yes, you're correct.

However, while I've replaced phones with refurbs in the past, and they worked just fine, I personally will not accept a refurbed Palm Pre under the one year warranty if the phone defect is clearly a quality or manufacturing problem.

For some, it doesn't matter, and that's cool.
    You won't accept a refurb. Sprint won't give you a new one. I sense a conflict here