Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I have to agree with trim81. I've been messing with my Palm Profile for a few days (had a couple Apps that would not go away.) When I finally got my profile cleared out and fresh, I also noticed my Pre ran much better. I'm just a casual user, but it was almost like my profile had gotten messed up and made things run slower.
    trim81, well since it seems you have several Pres at your disposal, I would recommend that you do a side by side video comparison so those of us who don't believe you would be able to see for ourselves this behavior.

How about this, two Pres side by side with backup turned on showing that they have the same "lag" that you mention. Then turn backup off on Pre #1 and show again that it is zippy while Pre #2 is still lagging. Then turn off backup Pre#2 and show that they both are zippy. Then turn on backup on Pre #1 and show that it is laggy while #2 is still zippy.

Your post count indicates that you have seen the line "pictures or it didn't happen", in this case pictures are not enough -- we would like to see video evidence.

You certainly may be on to something here, but before a lot of us would turn backup off we would like to see some proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by engine101 View Post
    I have to agree with trim81. I've been messing with my Palm Profile for a few days (had a couple Apps that would not go away.) When I finally got my profile cleared out and fresh, I also noticed my Pre ran much better. I'm just a casual user, but it was almost like my profile had gotten messed up and made things run slower.
    I think this only solidifies my argument that at some point the database must be getting corrupted. As I research more, I may post back on this, but I've done a bit of DBA work in the past - not sure what database the pre is running as of yet, but I'm sure there's got to be a way to clean that up without having to start fresh.

@Trim81:
    I agree regarding the backups, but there are a few other items that use the palm backup, one being notes.

Also, this is something slightly related which I've been wanting to ask for a while... If you purchased an app and then delete it from your phone - can you still download that app at a later time, or do you have to re-purchase it?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    trim81, well since it seems you have several Pres at your disposal, I would recommend that you do a side by side video comparison so those of us who don't believe you would be able to see for ourselves this behavior.

How about this, two Pres side by side with backup turned on showing that they have the same "lag" that you mention. Then turn backup off on Pre #1 and show again that it is zippy while Pre #2 is still lagging. Then turn off backup Pre#2 and show that they both are zippy. Then turn on backup on Pre #1 and show that it is laggy while #2 is still zippy.

Your post count indicates that you have seen the line "pictures or it didn't happen", in this case pictures are not enough -- we would like to see video evidence.

You certainly may be on to something here, but before a lot of us would turn backup off we would like to see some proof.
    LOL, you are serious out of bounds on this.

Either you turn it off or dont, its up to you.

I dont need to prove it with a video.

LOL, ridicoulous post bro
  5.    #25  
    Regarding software downloaded, 1st when you doctor your phone, Palm ask you to log into your Profile (during initial setup)

The programs will auto/resync to you. (I believe app catalog goes by hardware ID)
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    LOL, ridicoulous post bro
    Hey, a guy has gotta try .

Personally I would love to see this video, but realize it would be a ton of work, but in my experience you never get what don't ask for.
    You know what really makes your Pre lag? Your phone call log.

Seriously! HBZ should have this looked at over at Palm, but it is an absolutely freaky thing. If you phone lags when loading apps (or even in the launcher) try this fix.... delete your call history. It works and is completely whacked that it does.

Don't believe me? Try it!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/24/2010 at 11:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I know we do database "cleanups" on our end. Is there a command that anyone can run to check for errors, I don't know for sure couldn't really say :/
    You can use the sqlite statement PRAGMA integrity_check; to check for errors in your PalmDatabase.db3.

If you really wanted to, you could use a vacuum command to do a manual db clean up.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You know what really makes your Pre lag? Your phone call log. Seriously! HBZ should have this looked at over at Palm, but it is an absolutely freaky thing. If you phone lags when loading apps (or even in the launcher) try this fix.... delete your call history. It works and is completely whacked that it does.

Don't believe me? Try it!
    WOW! I just cleared my call log and it removed serious lag. that is kind of messed up.
    Doesn't really matter for me as my backup doesn't even work.
  11.    #31  
    an update:

okay, I REALLY feel that turning backup off is having great success in terms of removing the lag.

playing pandora, surfing the web, deleting text messages, and I no longer experience any lag as before.

also, and this is a big plus, I noticed my 'sorry too many cards' /low memory has not appeared since I turned off backup.

As mentioned, my theory is palm's backup is focousing on the core palmdatabse.db3 file..and the entire pre is based upon this. Although it does not phone home as often as the Palm Tech claimed, to me there is a notciable difference turning backup OFF

anyone willing to try it to see I'm not going crazy?

there's really no harm, you can always flip the switch back to ON anytime you like
    I'm game (as I use EAS so everything important to me is synched anyways). I'll let you know if I see any difference
  13.    #33  
    oh and when turning the backup to OFF, reboot the phone first

(orange sym and P)
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    oh and when turning the backup to OFF, reboot the phone first

(orange sym and P)
    Or do you mean orange sym and R
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  15.    #35  
    R yes R

tou'che
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I just now rebooted, disabled backup, rebooted again and testing loading apps and such. Noticing a 1-3 (varies) second faster load of mail and other apps. I only have 1 exchange account. even photo, web load/operate faster.

Seems like the first time loading it is a tad slower but after that it loads really fast where before it was slow every time.

so i guess your not completely crazy.
  17.    #37  
    glad to hear that.

I would love to hear other user's feedback.

Also, it would be GREAT if a dev can look into how Palm backs up the db3 file so we can modify the time it phones home/ and if able to allow palm to only back up user configured data from the table (user choice of messages, call logs, phonebook, etc etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    And what about all your accounts? (email, calendar, facebook, etc.)? Not sure if these are in the palmdatabase.db3 file or not...
    All that info, accounts, settings, is stored in the database. I pulled the database off of the phone and opened with a program. Lots of data stored there.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanthinealkaloid View Post
    If you really wanted to, you could use a vacuum command to do a manual db clean up.
    As of sqlite 2.0 (1.3.5 updated sqlite to v3.something) the Vacuum command has become non-operational.
    *Edit:You know what, my knowledge on Sqlite is kinda old so v3 could've re-enabled it now that I think about it, but I'm not sure.

And I'm curious if anyone else has any affect, I'm considering testing but I have a problem with memory so I wouldn't be able to tell if it's snappier or not.

But it would be cool if someone could post a side-by-side comparison, even if you couldn't get all the variable the same (Dr. them both without backup loaded). That way it'd attract dev attention and someone will see if there's something more going on.
    A while back I had an app that wouldn't go away cause it was linked to my profile, so I turned off and erased my Backup and I noticed it did make my phone snappier. So I've left it off since. It's so much better now.
    Also erasing the call history makes a huge difference too. I actually think that erasing the call log made a bigger difference than turning off the Backup for me.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast