1.    #1  
    My dad is thinking about getting a Pre (or whatever comes next as far as webOS) in December when his 2 yr deal is over. He's been a pretty hardcore Palm user, and has used the Palm IIIc and has been a Treo user until a year or two ago. He's upgrading from a the first device in Samsung's Instinct lineup. His question and main selling point is, "is the keyboard big enough for my hands". He has pretty large hands.... does anybody out there that has large hands have the answer? How is the Pre's keyboard for you.

I hope my dad gets a webOS device and joins the webOS community.
    i have pretty large thumbs and while its cramped its definitely useable with some acclimation
    i have quite large hands and the keyboard works fine for me
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColbyM View Post
    My dad is thinking about getting a Pre (or whatever comes next as far as webOS) in December when his 2 yr deal is over. He's been a pretty hardcore Palm user, and has used the Palm IIIc and has been a Treo user until a year or two ago. He's upgrading from a the first device in Samsung's Instinct lineup. His question and main selling point is, "is the keyboard big enough for my hands". He has pretty large hands.... does anybody out there that has large hands have the answer? How is the Pre's keyboard for you.

I hope my dad gets a webOS device and joins the webOS community.

Take him to a sprint store and try it, or take advantage of the 30 day returns, which i think is the best way as it gets better after using it for a couple of days.
    Last edited by sjjones; 02/23/2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Like all palm smartphones the phone is built for ease of use with one hand. With any phone with a full qwerty keyboard that slides out for "one handed" use it's hard to say a one size fits all kind of terminology. I have no problems using it with large hands, some other people may disagree. Your dad should start going down to Sprint stores grabbing the demo and getting some hands on experience this will give him some insight before he "needs" to purchase a new phone.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    Same here.
    Ill be honest, it is a very small keyboard and it is hard to type on, at first. that being said, after Iv used mine a bit and now that Im actually texting a lot (I know 30 a day isn't a lot to some of you) Iv gotten a ton better at using it and its smallness has become less of a negative and a huge positive because I can use it one handed (do that droid lol)

There is a learning curve to all devises, just make sure your dad test drives one in a store for a good few min.

If he is a loyal palm user then he will probably be plenty happy with a Pre, I came from a zire 72, and although there are some faults with the Pre the flexibility and the community behind it outshine all of them.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I hate the keyboard. The keys are too flat for my big thumbs to push. The 800w was infinitely better. The YAnd T give me the most trouble.
    Honestly, I have big hands and have an acceptale wpm on the Pre's keyboard. I like it a lot. I type using my thumbs/thumb fingernails.
    the above posters give good advice though, go to a store and try it. I was messing around with the store pre for a good half hour before I decided to switch from my iPhone.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I was really worried abt. this, since I have quite large hands. But I found the keyboard a pleasant surprise. Even though I sometimes have a hard time using larger keyboards, I found that the softness of the Pre keyboard makes it very easy for me to type using my thumbnails. If your dad can get used to typing like that, he should be fine.
    LOL, I thought I was the only one using my thumbnails...
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I haven't bought a ring in a while, but I just checked for fun and my ring size is 14 or 15. No problem typing with my thumbs.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Good size hands here I guess. I love the keyboard, though the A and Q can give me problems sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBlauw View Post
    Yep, works fine for me too.. Even txting with one thumb works..
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol
    I have large hands, and while I'll admit the keyboard on my old LG Rumor was easier to use, I got used to the Pre keyboard in only a coulpe days. I have been using it quite happily since.

Now the larger, landscape, type keyboards amaze me with their wasted space. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz