Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The responses to this guy (and to others with criticisms) are pathetic.

He's stating quite openly what he feels is wrong with Palm and the Pre - and all you lot can think to do is respond like brainwashed, spoilt, arrogant kids with fingers in your ears.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again - quite a few of you on here really need to learn to grow up. Most of you appear even more pathetic than the Apple sheep.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I think the OP has some good points. I too have issues with my new Pre, my first "smart" phone. In some ways it is not too smart. Today's addition of ePocrates helps a lot though.
    I think the OP made some EXCELLENT points.

While ePocrates might be something useful to those requiring such an app (and, for once, something actually available to download in the UK), but ONLY those in need of such an app.

There are a great many more problems that need sorting. It'll be interesting to see just how 'loyal' all the attackers are in the event that Palm don't deliver everything that's being demanded in the next update (whenever that might be) - my suspicion is that the loyalty will vanish quite rapidly.

As I imagine Palm will do sometime in the not too distant future too, looking at the state of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by tazandpig View Post

He's stating quite openly what he feels is wrong with Palm and the Pre - and all you lot can think to do is respond like brainwashed, spoilt, arrogant kids with fingers in your ears.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it again - quite a few of you on here really need to learn to grow up. Most of you appear even more pathetic than the Apple sheep.
    So what did you want us to say? This guy's first (and last?) post is one saying that he has already made up his mind to leave, he made that quite clear.

It doesn't matter if he had 1000 points that are valid, he stated them in a forum where they do nothing other than to incite Palm bashing. He posted his open letter to Palm in a forum where it will do ABSOLUTELY no good for the community, if he had sent this letter to Palm feedback that at least would make Palm aware of the issues and reasons why he is leaving. Coming here does no good whatsoever!!
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tazandpig View Post

Kettle, meet pot. Pot, meet kettle.
    You guys are free to write this dude off as a troll, but if he is, how sad is it that he's "trolling" by citing very real and factual problems with the WebOS experience in the UK?
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    You guys are free to write this dude off as a troll, but if he is, how sad is it that he's "trolling" by citing very real and factual problems with the WebOS experience in the UK?
    Let's be clear. The original post was not a "I'm having some problems and I'd like advise on how to resolve" post.

It was not a "I'm frustrated by the UK experience and would like to see if there are others that agree so that we can jointly request changes from Palm" post.

It was a "kiss off" post. It served no purpose but to tell others here that the OP is annoyed and has given up.

It was a first post. Which means that this person does not appear to be a member of the PreCentral community. Most of us share our frustrations, but in the spirit of finding resolution. The OP is not interested in resolution.

At best, the original message was a warning to others not to buy a Pre/Pixi if you're in the UK. However, I know I'm more inclined to heed warnings from people that engage in discussion, have taken advantage of the "we can help you" aspect of the community, and didn't come here to (basically) say "kiss off."

Does that help understand why he's being called a troll? It's not the his points are invalid. But his method of communication is not productive and, maybe, suspect.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I'm usually one to come to the defense of posters getting attacked for stating their issues. I do think we have a lot of quick triggered fan boys that take any negative comments about our phone personally.

That said, I don't get that vibe from this OP. If he knows enough to come to this board to post rather than Palm's board then he had to have come across info on the infancy of the Pre across the pond.

I don't the impression, in this particular case, that he is a real owner. That's a lot of drama for someone who just joined the board to post that. That letter looks like something that would come from a board mod that is throwing in the towel and jumping ship. Someone who's leaving would be a big deal.

I have to side with the folks here that are throwing the BS flag.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ....what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

I love that movie (Billy Madison)
  10.    #30  
    Thank you all for your replies.

I had decided not to reply after seeing the initial comments, because the fact is, I quite agree with tazandpig's first post. But when I am being written off as a troll by people who, for need of a better word(s), sound like they have barely grown out of their teens, I feel the need to vindicate myself.

I am a member of various forums in which people who are passionate about something come together to discuss and develop ideas and concerns (AoS, Head-fi - for those interested). I have been a visitor to precentral since the days the site started. True, I have not posted in here before because I have had nothing to contribute. While, I do have two advanced degrees in mobile communications and have worked for the R&D division for the world's largest mobile telecommunication company (no, its not in China), I no longer work in the field and do pretty long hours in my current profession to actively contribute in many forums. The reason I state this here is not to cite credentials but to give you perspective.

While I understand that the OS is new, Palm is by no means a 'young' company. In fact, if you read my post it clearly says that I really liked my Palm for what it did. But the fact remains that its come to a point that the market has changed. Palm has made some decisions. It decided to concentrate on the US market as its main market while largely neglecting us across the pond. Bad move for a firm looking to establish itself in the mainstream. It, as far as I am concerned, realised a product that still had shades of beta written on it. That along with build qualities, support problems (above mentioned email problem? I wrote to Palm a month back. No reply.) and lack of market penetration in an otherwise overcrowded market means no matter what Palm has done in its OS and how ages ahead it is in certain aspects when compared to other platforms, it will eventually have to succumb to a larger player or content in being the 'quirky' one. Much like Saab in the automobile world.

Perhaps, I could have responded to some of you with equally sarcastic comments, but I refrain from doing so as I dont believe some of you had any intention to make a meaningful contribution (atleast in this thread).

I wrote this post out of frustration to see if there are others who share the same experience. And while I am locked to an 18month contract with Mother O2, I am seeking out alternatives while keeping an eye on what happens to Palm. And as an aside, I now work in banking and from whatever I can see and from the many reports that this site itself has posted, everything about Palm now screams 'take me over, I will soon face cash flow problems'.

@livinofframen: Good point. I did try the nexus one two days back in the states. The 3G issue has been largely solved with the new update. You would expect nothing less from HTC. The display point is valid but its really not that bad. My biggest concern is the lack of a physical keyboard, but well..

@badjokes: Sure, but the pdk has very little to do with Palm not opening up Apps for nearly 6 months nor the build quality issues, nor the issues with lack of some basic features working well. Silent mode for example.

@squeff: Agree. But isnt that the point that when you find a manufacturer concentrating on one market, it risks alienating another? I am quite confident had I been in the US and atleast had access to Apps (yes, I hear the real 'apps' is coming to Europe sometime soon) I may not have written this post in the first place. Regarding your second point. Yes! An overwhelming YES! You dont expect any company to survive just because it got some customers to buy its first product, do you?

@groovdafied: Ha ha. Yes, it was a bit dramatized. But I hope you got my point.
    Why in the world would you be polling 3 email accounts every 5 minutes? They should all be set to as items arrive. I'm surprised your battery lasts longer than 2 hours.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Why in the world would you be polling 3 email accounts every 5 minutes? They should all be set to as items arrive. I'm surprised your battery lasts longer than 2 hours.
    Sorry. I didnt clarify there. I have my exchange account set to 'as it comes' and other two, Google-apps running on 5 minutes poll. I find that, for my usage pattern, 5 minute polls on those two roughly extend my battery life by around 20-30 minutes by the end of the day. Gathered largely from unscientific tests using the Battery monitor app.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeister View Post

Goodbye Palm. I really did try. I wish things had worked out.

P
    ****Snifff, Sniff..... Its not you, its me... (sobbing uncontrollably, running in the other direct screaming) Im Soryy, im truly sorry... Ill never forget the good times....."
    I really wanted to spend a few minutes responding to some of the comments here. But to be honest, I can't be arsed.

Instead, I'll spend a few seconds wishing you all well. I really do hope you all get the updates you seek and that Palm goes from strength to strength.

It's a 'phone' at the end of the day. A phone. Not worth all the aggro that seems to be getting bandied about by those that simply can't accept any criticism.

Like rmeister, I'm also reaching the point where I'm about to give up - because it's not worth my time, effort, or more to the point my money or loyalty when there are far more capable phones available out there. And the responses from this 'community' (oh, how that makes me laugh) to those with criticisms really do make me wonder just how sad some people's lives are. It's hassle that isn't necessary. It's antagonism that isn't necessary and it's the kind of responses that really don't endear anyone to the Palm 'community'. Most responses on here, as I've said before, appear to be written by a bunch of angry imbeciles.

And yes, before anyone wonders, I *DO* own a Palm Pre. And my opinions are just as valid as anyone elses. This is a forum - a place to discuss and give opinions. And those opinions are just as valid whether they are supportive or critical. It appears some on here only want to ever see supportive comments. If only life was so wonderful, eh?

It's also the last time I'll be visiting or commenting here (nice for some of you). I can't be arsed taking part in a forum that's filled with nothing but animosity towards those with problems or critical comments.

Yeah, yeah. I'll be careful of the door on the way out (as some of the imbeciles here seem to warn of). No need to mention it.

Enjoy the experience while it lasts. Not long now, eh?
    Last edited by tazandpig; 02/24/2010 at 06:43 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12