1.    #1  
    I have an issue I have noticed since I got my pre, but never really thought about asking anyone until now. My brightness is set at 30% yet when I unlock it appeares to be at 100%. I'll chek my settings but its still at 30% I'll set it to 100% and there are no noticable differences in brightness.Usually about a minute later it will dim back to 30%. Even though I'm still using it so its not just sitting idle when it corrects itself. does anyone else have this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    I have an issue I have noticed since I got my pre, but never really thought about asking anyone until now. My brightness is set at 30% yet when I unlock it appeares to be at 100%. I'll chek my settings but its still at 30% I'll set it to 100% and there are no noticable differences in brightness.Usually about a minute later it will dim back to 30%. Even though I'm still using it so its not just sitting idle when it corrects itself. does anyone else have this problem?
    I don't think it's a problem, sounds like the "Ambient Light Sensor"
    Inside the OS, there is a setting for Dark Mode and Bright Mode brightness settings. As far as I can tell, there is a certain difference from what you set the brightness to, to what the actual numbers the system uses as Dark and Bright mode numbers.

If you have Preware installed, there is a app called 'Quick System Tasks - BETA' that will allow you to change the display mode settings which handles these two brightness modes. I personally used to see an occasional jump and dip in brightness for no reason, so I set the program to a 1% difference between Dark and Bright mode so I could no longer see the changes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    Mine does this, too. If I lock it again, it'll pop back up at the right brightness setting.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    same here.... A quick press of the power button corrects it... But why does this happen?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by datboi208 View Post
    Inside the OS, there is a setting for Dark Mode and Bright Mode brightness settings. As far as I can tell, there is a certain difference from what you set the brightness to, to what the actual numbers the system uses as Dark and Bright mode numbers.

If you have Preware installed, there is a app called 'Quick System Tasks - BETA' that will allow you to change the display mode settings which handles these two brightness modes. I personally used to see an occasional jump and dip in brightness for no reason, so I set the program to a 1% difference between Dark and Bright mode so I could no longer see the changes.
    This seems to have done the trick so far. I have only tried it for about an hour. I'll see how it does as the week goes on but so far so go.
    Quote Originally Posted by lexflo View Post
    same here.... A quick press of the power button corrects it... But why does this happen?
    The phone is designed to try to save some battery life when the viewing conditions don't warrant a very bright screen.
    This is supposed to be a benefit, not a downfall.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    The phone is designed to try to save some battery life when the viewing conditions don't warrant a very bright screen.
    This is supposed to be a benefit, not a downfall.
    But it is a downfall (for me). In the past, I've had phones that I could turn off the ambient option. I would love to turn it off on this one.
    I've always thought the ambient light sensor on the Pre worked poorly.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    I've always thought the ambient light sensor on the Pre worked poorly.
    I think it's a software bug and not a sensor problem. Maybe 1.4 will fix it, then again it's not that big of a deal, just a small annoyance.
    I remember my BB Tour back lighting changed even when I turned the sensor off. I don't notice it as much with my Pre though.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I think it's a software bug and not a sensor problem. Maybe 1.4 will fix it, then again it's not that big of a deal, just a small annoyance.
    Looks like 1.4.5 still has this issue. Annoying to have to use the power button workaround to deal with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by art_sjc View Post
    Looks like 1.4.5 still has this issue. Annoying to have to use the power button workaround to deal with this.
    I'm still dealing with it as well, ah well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lexflo View Post
    it will dim when not touched to save battery but still be viewable before going to sleep. It's power saving and ambient light sensor.
    I have the exact same problem. It really gets on my nerves. Is there a way to disable the ambient sensor?
    I'm experiencing this right now.. It just went from high to low. My guess is that it goes down from high to low depending on the battery level.
    The ambient light sensor is supposed to do this. However it is buggy, like when I'm sitting in the dark and it dims.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    The ambient light sensor is supposed to do this. However it is buggy, like when I'm sitting in the dark and it dims.
    that is not a 'bug.' that is what it is designed to do. When it is ambient light is low, the screen dims. It is a feature to protect your eyes.

Bright light with dark surroundings will damage the eye.

it is the opposite when ambient light is bright. The screen brightens to make it easier to view.

coming from a BB, I love it. I haven't noticed with the Pre yet, but the BB's can be viewed in direct sunlight with little issues.
    I too had this problem with my pre+, and also have it with my replacement pre+. I think this problem might possibly be widespread. This brightness issue happens randomly with me as I awake my screen, and whether or not it is dark or light outside. I noticed it more often when I leave the phone alone for awhile (10-30 minutes) and then I awake the screen.

I have the brightness turned down all the way within the Screen & Lock options. And with that said, my screen brightness randomly goes to about 100% as my screen is awoken. A quick "on and off again" with the screen fixes this brightness issue, and the screen goes back to my chosen brightness... until it happens again later.

The worst is when you are in a dark room and it happens (lets say a movie theater), the screen becomes almost blinding and I have to look away.

This is definitely a bug in my eyes and it is still in 1.4.5. Also may I add that this doesn't do the battery good either.