1.    #1  
    Hi everyone, disgruntled iPhone 3G and AT&T user here for various various reasons that I'm not going to go into much presently. The important thing is I've been eyeing WebOS and these forums for several months and I think I'm about ready to jump ship. Having a G1 for a couple months before it broke made me really miss multitasking, hence my interest in a more polished and intuitive version of such on WebOS.

After using Pres from friends, I came to really like the way it felt in my hand and the keyboard was surprisingly good given the small keys. I have small hands so it certainly helps. I also do web work and a platform that I have more knowledge of the languages used than any other phone out there appeals to me as well. The form factor was nice but the geek in me is looking at the hardware inside and wanting more.

However, one of the consistent complaints I hear about WebOS is its speed. Coming from an iPhone 3G I don't know if I'll notice a significant difference, especially as I'm more apt to keep things in the background anyway but it is still a concern. With phones like the Nexus One with it's AMOLED screen and 1Ghz CPU already out and no doubt a comparable iPhone 4G coming this summer, the Pre is starting to look lacking compared to it's competition and I am wondering if I should tame my twitchy Cancel AT&T Right This Second finger and wait a bit longer for something new to come out.

The public roadmap is a bit lacking however and I don't want to place too much stock in things that may never come to fruition, like the mythical C40 that's popped up a couple times. 1.4 should help with some of the speed complaints and add a handful of welcome new features but it won't work miracles. The PDK should also be interesting news come March as it will hopefully not allow just games to come to the platform, but other applications that need a native backend, such as Shazaam or IRC (wIRC in the App Catalogue soon anyone?)

So I'm going to leave it up to those in this community that have been involved longer than I have. Is now a good time to jump ship or am I being impatient and should wait just a bit longer? I certainly don't think I'll dislike the Pre Plus but I also don't want to kick myself when something else comes out while I'm stuck in a 2 year Verizon contract with a $350 ETF.

Addendum: If I do decide to switch soon, a certain site I cannot link due to only have two posts known as WireFly has the Palm Pre Plus for $69.95 with a new 2 year contract. Has anyone had any experience buying from them before? The price certainly seems right.
    The only reason to not get the Pree is if Navigation is really important to you. Navi is an extra $10 per month from VZW and is terrible.

Sprint's Navi is free and excellent.

So if Navi is important, the Pre Plus is not very good.

The only other issue on both phones is they tend to get warm with extended use.

BTW, I love my Pre Plus and I had a Pre from Sprint last summer.

- Steve
    I got my pre (with sprint) early this month and no regrets so far.
    Misc electronic organizers > Cassiopeia > palm pilot III > Palm Pilot VII/Zire 21 > Treo 90 > Treo 650 > PPC6700 > Treo 755p > PPC6800 > Palm Pro > Palm Pre
    Agree with the post above...and would add the cheaper overall cost with Sprint. If you get good Sprint coverage in your area, I would seriously look at the Sprint version. The Plus does have twice the memory and storage, so if you plan on using it as a media player, this may sway your decision. The Sprint network has been great here in my area (and we are one of the few 4G areas for Sprint...), the plans are reasonable, they offer a lot of features for free that others charge for (Navigation, SprintTV, etc..), and they offer hardware upgrades after one year (instead of two on Verizon...).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr3yGhOsT View Post
    The Plus does have twice the memory and storage, so if you plan on using it as a media player, this may sway your decision.

[...]

and they offer hardware upgrades after one year (instead of two on Verizon...).

I'm kind of a hardcore phone user as my iPhone has been tweaked to infinity and beyond. The extra RAM in the Plus is essential to me. Verizon also does upgrades after one year if you decide to re-up with them for another 2 year contract, I was on them before AT&T and did just that. I'm more concerned that if Palm releases some really desirable hardware on another network while I'm stuck in a Verizon contract.

I live in San Francisco so pretty much anything other than AT&T will have better coverage.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    +1

It's all about the coverage. I haven't played with a Plus but I can tell you that my Sprint Pre feels like a completely different phone when my signal is jacked or I have wifi available.

I'm glad the Pre is on Verizon now but Verizon sure is proud of their stuff....$$$
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    to be honest, I'll tell you the same thing I told my brother (who is trying to switch from a sprint htc touch). If it is not immediately important, I would wait it out for a month or two because I honestly think we'll get a new phone by june and an announcement by late march to early april
    Wait till june for a possible new WebOS Device or wait till fall to check out Windows Phone 7 on Sprint
    I would wait if I were you. As others have said there are more phones coming this summer that we don't yet know about (other than rumors). The Pre Plus seems to address the "too many cards" error with it's extra RAM, but still sounds like it suffers from very poor quality control. Hopefully we'll know by the end of next month if Palm is going to finally offer us a true high end device this Summer.
  10.    #10  
    A couple of people have mentioned June as a point of a more serious hardware refresh. Is this more speculation on the fact the original Pre came out in June of 2009 or something a but more concrete? It seems a bit early in the Pre lifecycle to predict when things will get released given there has only been one device refresh since June 09 and that was 6 months ago, though June 10 does have some sort of logic to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vniow View Post
    A couple of people have mentioned June as a point of a more serious hardware refresh. Is this more speculation on the fact the original Pre came out in June of 2009 or something a but more concrete? It seems a bit early in the Pre lifecycle to predict when things will get released given there has only been one device refresh since June 09 and that was 6 months ago, though June 10 does have some sort of logic to it.
    Palm as a company tends to release their phones in yearly cycles, for starters. And people are convinced that for WebOS to really expand, they need to go head on with the Droids, Nexus Ones, and iPhones of the cell phone market by releasing a Pre2 in June.

I haven't seen or heard anything from Palm that would suggest they are even working on a second generation Pre.
    I would say wait until new Palm hardware comes out. The pre and pre plus are amazing before you actually buy one. The sluggishness is cute at first then it takes over and it gets incredibly frustrating. The form factor is atrocious and the build quality is horrid. I would say wait til a 1Ghz Palm phone is released. 1Ghz could probably handle webOS with no lag. Plus the App Catalog is terrifyingly lacking. I would say upgrade to the 3Gs or something Android until Palm releases something worth competing. They need new hardware.
    And if you wait forever and ever new things are always on the horizon! So I'll back up what other people are suggesting in this thread and advise you to never buy anything at all. Why bother when technology is only going to keep getting better, right?

Hopefully in the future we will reach a point where the brightest scientific minds in the world will stop and say "That's it. We have achieved perfection." Then all of the savvy consumers can come out of the woodwork and say "Aha! I've been waiting for this day. I am so glad that I waited!" and the rest of us will look on with jealousy as you trade in something that resembles a Motorola RAZR for the new phone of the Gods.

Ahem.

If you want a new phone now (or anytime soon) then the Pre Plus is the best on the market in my opinion. If you feel like waiting for six months then obviously there are going to be new phones at that time. You won't believe what they have planned for five years from now! Personally, I'm going to hold off for the next ten years, because you know those phones are going to be sick!
    I was in a similar decision earlier this month, I decided to get the pixi plus and pay the extra $70 for a one year contract instead of a 2 year. This gives me the flexibility to upgrade to windows 7 series soon after it comes out the end of this year, on any carrier, or any other new phone.

With such a fast new phone cycle today, it doesn't make much sense having a 2 year contract for only $70 savings.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    And if you wait forever and ever new things are always on the horizon!

I participated in a Mac rumours site for several years, I'm well aware of this fact.

My concern is more of the timeframe than anything. I don't need a new phone right now I just dislike my current one. What I don't want to happen is I buy one now, be stuck in a contract and something else comes out on a different carrier say 4 months from now. If it were 9 months or so, it wouldn't matter as much.
    I might consider waiting until June. A Pre2 is expected and there will be a ton of other smart phones launched there. If you can wait 3 months, you may end up with a much better phone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!