Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I think that WebOS is superior to android, but as others have raised here, it isn't whether it is better or not, it is what sells, and right now android is selling.

Beta Max was a much better tech than VHS, but it lost the tech war. Now, in June, when we expect the Pre refresh, this is what Palm is likely going to be up against: HTC Supersonic, HTC Legend, HTC Desire and a new iPhone. That is tough competition. I hope they can do it, I really do, but it is looking grim. They need some stellar new hardware and they need to clean up WebOS fast.
    I totally agree that webOS is superior to android. What's propelling android is the hardware. The Droid nailed it (not perfectly but good enough) and android took off. Nexus and other upcoming devices will keep it going.

I'm not much of a fan of android. It's adequate, runs some google services well but has a lot of shortcomings. Too fragmented.

Lesson here is throw good looking hardware out there and it'll make any OS look much better. Let's hope webOS one day gets similar high end hardware of its own that doesn't feel all plasticy and cheap, plagued with defects and issues.
    This June will make or break palm. If they release amazing hardware and WebOS is smooth, Palm will get back into the market, if the new hardware is poor, then I think Palm will either fade away or get bought.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I think the biggest problem Palm has is the Pre's best feature is just not that important to most users. Yes, the Pre multitasks better then any phone in the world. Most people do not care. I dare say most people don't even know what multitasking is.
    I think people know what multitasking is, they just don't find it to be useful because "What good is of multitasking if you don't have multiple quality apps to swap through?"

My iPhones has several dozen quality exclusive apps so killing one app just to get to another drives me nuts. The Pre multitasks better than any phone out there but I tend to shut down all apps (except Text) because running multiple apps either slows the phone down, hogs memory, burns the battery or simply isn't useful enough to keep open.
    Yep, with backgrounder and proswitcher, i'm multitasking all the time on the iphone with hardly any lag. Do need to respring once in awhile though.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Yep, with backgrounder and proswitcher, i'm multitasking all the time on the iphone with hardly any lag. Do need to respring once in awhile though.
    has this improved your iPhone experience that much? I am not a Pandora user, so I really don't think I miss multitasking at all. Certainly not nearly enough to stop using the iPhone. I use to have this same argument with Windows Mobile users (compared to my Treo 650). For me, multitasking is not something near the top of my list when deciding which phone to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    has this improved your iPhone experience that much? I am not a Pandora user, so I really don't think I miss multitasking at all. Certainly not nearly enough to stop using the iPhone. I use to have this same argument with Windows Mobile users (compared to my Treo 650). For me, multitasking is not something near the top of my list when deciding which phone to buy.
    I would say its more slicker UI navigation. Swipe up, switch to an active task. Say i'm reading the engadget app, rather than close and reopen later, i just want to minimize it..do something else, then come right back where i left off.

Streaming in background is nice, not having to restart navigon, and perhaps some other things. It would be nice if you could have multiple emails or messaging "cards" open which you can on the Pre.

The iphone can be tedious to navigate once you have a ton of icons screens even with spotlight.

I do see what you're saying though. I think for the casual user, the obvious benefit is pausing games or streaming in background.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123