Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    hey theres a period or 2 in there lol.By the way this isnt a spelling and gramer class
    whats the catch with the droid phones? i'm not a phone junky, but whenever i see that droid platform, it looks like a mish mosh of crap. I highly doubt the pre isn't succeeding because of hardware differences. speaking of droid and hardware, i don't think i've ever seen anyone with the motorola droid. That is one ugly phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash X View Post
    "Gaaawww"

Bought my Palm stock at 15+

As of today, It's at 8.31

I think I'm going to throw in the towel --- Can't wait for this trend to change much more !

I really wanted a better outcome

p.s. (I also wanted a pony when I was 5 yrs old, but that didn't work out either)
    Buy High, Sell Low. Always a bad plan. Someone will pick up your sell, and thank you for it (though likely it will be a "gee thanks, whoever you are, not a personal thank you).
    ARTICLE:

“Palm’s superior platform features have not translated into sufficient carrier support and consumer demand, and we are concerned the window of opportunity may be closing as Google’s Android ecosystem gains ground, RIM revitalizes its portfolio, iPhone increases its presence, and as Microsoft reboots its efforts with Windows Phone 7,” Arya wrote in a research note. “With only $130 million of net cash in an opex intensive space, Palm’s options may be limited in our view.”

As Arya points out, the mobile space is capital expenditure intensive. Palm has to spend money to make money. In particular, Palm has to get some much better hardware to the market as quickly as possible. Its Pre, Pre Plus and Pixi and Pixi Plus may be decent devices, but they are not lighting the market on fire as Android devices such as the Droid and Hero have stepped up the competition.
    Which is it? cap or op intensive? Is this guy just talking out of his rear or does he not proofread.

No wonder our economy is in the toilet with guys like this incorrectly regurgitating other people's conjecture.

Wait, what? Palm has only $130 million in cash left? Can that be right? I have no idea what Palm's daily operational expenses are, but that seems like a *really* low number to me.
    Wow! "I have no idea, but instead of doing research, I'm just going to make something up so people read my article."

I bet he submitted the article in crayon.
    Quote Originally Posted by o0otoxic View Post
    hey theres a period or 2 in there lol.By the way this isnt a spelling and gramer class
    No, but we have to read what you type. So if there is no grammar or proper spelling, it can be very hard to follow what you are saying. It is like trying to make logical sense out of what a drunken 2 y.o. is saying.

So if you want people to read and or listen to what you say on a forum, use grammar (you learned it for a reason in school) and spell as correctly as you can.

**back on topic**

I love my pre, but recently the lag has really been getting to me. It makes me look at HTC's sense and drool a bit. But then I see videos of people actually using android and it makes me like my Pre even more.

What really bothers me is that no one has gotten it right yet. There is no multitasking phone out there that is snappy and responsive. I really wish I could take HTC sense and WebOS and have them produce some mobile OS love child.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    You are trying to rationalize why the Pre "should" be popular, but with 7mo under its belt (and 12mo of being in public consciousness) then it simply isn't.
    All I'll say on this is neither was the G1.
    Quote Originally Posted by max9777 View Post
    You also have to understand in order for a Palm Pre Plus 4g to be Released Verizon would have to be able to support the 4G network which they don't Sprint is the only 4G Competitor in the States right now!
    I think he was stating that it would be released on Sprint, to coincide with Premier folks hitting their one-year upgrade time.

The issue with that, of course, is that WiMax is only available in very limited markets, and thus wouldn't be advantageous to most folks (unless I'm wrong about WiMax, which I thought is only available in a dozen cities).
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Additional bad news from a couple more analysts:
    Palm Falls as Sales of New Phones Appear Weak
    Quote Originally Posted by The Associated Press
    Feb 23, 1:42 PM EST

Palm falls as sales of new phones appear weak

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Palm Inc. shares fell Tuesday as analysts raised concerns that the smart phones the company recently released through Verizon Wireless are not selling well.

The stock slid 66 cents, or 7.2 percent, to $8.45 in afternoon trading. In the past year, the stock has traded between $5.85 and $18.09.

In a client note Tuesday, Macquarie Research analyst Phil Cusick downgraded the stock to "Neutral" from "Outperform," citing "weak" sales checks at Verizon and increasing operating expenses resulting from higher-than-expected spending on promotions.

Verizon began selling upgraded versions of Palm's Pre and Pixi smart phones - the Pre and Pixi Plus - in late January. The original Pre and Pixi went on sale last year through Sprint Nextel Corp.

The phones use Palm's latest operating system, webOS. They are the company's latest attempt to regain share in the fast-growing smart phone market. Palm, which was a smart phone pioneer, has struggled for years as Apple Inc.'s iPhone and Research In Motion Ltd.'s BlackBerry have grown increasingly popular among both consumer and business users.

Cusick wrote that sales at Verizon are improving, but "off a very low base," and that checks show Palm's sales at Sprint haven't improved since Verizon started selling the new phones.

The analyst lowered his price target for the stock by $4 to $10.

Also Tuesday, Stifel Nicolaus analyst Sanjiv Wadhwani began covering Palm with a "Hold" rating.

Wadhwani believes Palm could sell 1.4 million phones per quarter by the last three months of 2010, which would give it 2 percent of all smart phone shipments and would be about double its estimated share of the market at the same time in 2009.

But he, too, said checks indicated that sales have been slow at new carriers such as Verizon.

Both analysts think it will be difficult for Palm to meet their outlook for $1.6 billion to $1.8 billion in revenue for the fiscal year, which ends in May.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I'm less concerned about Palm the company but webOS is worth investing in compared to other smartphone OSs out there. If Palm comes to a point they are about to close shop, maybe someone will buy webOS. Who are the major players who don't have a smartphone OS as mature as webOS?

RIM doesn't have a modern smartphone OS IMO. Some say it's just a glorified java engine. I could see them adopting webOS and bringing it to the Enterprise.

Nokia/Symbian/Maemo - Symbian is an aging OS and Maemo is not as polished as webOS from what I understand. Some analysts think Nokia should dump Maemo for something else. I'm not too up on it but I wonder if they would be interested in webOS.
    xorg tools - power tools for power users
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Well, according the the quarterly report filed on December 23, Plam had $263 million in cash and $327 in short term investments for the quarter ended Nov 09, up from $110 million and $102 million, respectively, in the previous quarter. Not sure where the $130 million number can come from.

EDGAR Pro
    palm will be just fine. Just like when all the analysts picked the colts to beat the saints even though the saints had a far superior team, but only a small percentage of the population knew about it. They will rise above.
    I think the biggest problem Palm has is the Pre's best feature is just not that important to most users. Yes, the Pre multitasks better then any phone in the world. Most people do not care. I dare say most people don't even know what multitasking is.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I think the biggest problem Palm has is the Pre's best feature is just not that important to most users. Yes, the Pre multitasks better then any phone in the world. Most people do not care. I dare say most people don't even know what multitasking is.
    Good point, I have 4 pre's in my family and my wife and kids could care less about multi-tasking.

Personally I think the multitasking on webos is neat but I have not used an Android or iphone for an extended period of time (at least 1 month) to see if it's something I can't live without.

What's ironic is Palm is only shooting for the casual user but the multitasking is only relevant to the power user. Go figure!
  14.    #34  
    +1
    Nothing like a good old Palm going out of business thread to bring out all the kooks.

I've been on this site for 8 years and the entire time the haters have been comming here speculating that Palm is not long for this world and now Palm is stronger than its been in over 4 years and misinformed people are still posting this crap. LOL
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    funny have you even seen peoples reaction to the pre plus, compared to the droid or nexus one. Just search youtube which is a very good indication on how most people prefer the pre plus over both phones. Also the Droids sales have not been that great, please check your sources again. The first month they only sold 250k which is still speculation but the pre on sprint was said to have sold more then that, but as i said its speculation. Also Palm is a small company so no there not going to be super cash rich, but that being said it hasen't even been a month since its been on verizon so im not sure what all the *****en is about. Palm's been here before and im sure if they dont bounce back this time, they will find an investor (because if you read the company tech reports alot for companys including Nokia is interested in buying the company, and keeping Palm aboard to develop the Web OS) to take over there little company, and will most likely continue to develop the WEB OS. Also another Note I had the Droid myself i dont know why really I was really really high at the time (real talk some good *** chronic) and got caught up with the hype and let me tell you that **** is the worst phone I have ever had. Everyone i know who used states the same. Android is a glorified Windows mobile 6 its slow and stuttery use the phone for 2 months not just at a store, and you 'll run back to a Palm phone, that phone has more hicups then a new born. The keyboard is the worst ever, the build quality though is good, but thats it so get off those nuts. Anyway Palm or Web OS will be fine you should have known you took a chance on a small company, and if you cant deal with it Go get you a hero which really won gadget of the year too not the droid (i question the information you get homie really because thats been known for awhile).
    Well, all I know is I have seem 5+ droids in my medical school class within days of it being released. Besides me, I saw my first other Sprint Pre today. I have yet to see a Pre Plus in the wild.

My initial impressions are that many more Droids have been sold than Pre's.

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    of course more droids have been sold then the pre, are you OK verizon has over 90 millions customers sprint has 43 million. Sprint already had a bad rap being the number 3 carrier so of course they knew releasing a beta product on there would be a challenge. I strongly doubt though the droid sold more the the pre, just on the sense of Android releasing too many phones, and if the Nexus was hearlad as the messah and only sold 80k in a month think about after the droid hype how long they really kept selling the droid. none the less go get a droid, why argue with me about the dumb ****, im fine and confident on my statments and information. I don't listen to media hype or he say she say **** I try the products out myself (i still have a iphone 3gs, a pre, had a hero and a droid) and keep the one i like the most. Take a gander at you tube and check out more and more people getting a chance to try out the Web os now that its on another carrier really any carrier besides sprint, the reason why they didnt sell as much as they did. People are in aww in fact heres one and this guy to me seems really fair in his opinion hes just one of many who has finally used Web Os and is in aww. Now give Verizon atleast 6 months to sell the phone THEY JUST GOT, then At&t in may and tmobile in june then if they are still not doing good then come holla at me until then stick with a pre or go get you a droid or something cuz.
    I think that WebOS is superior to android, but as others have raised here, it isn't whether it is better or not, it is what sells, and right now android is selling.

Beta Max was a much better tech than VHS, but it lost the tech war. Now, in June, when we expect the Pre refresh, this is what Palm is likely going to be up against: HTC Supersonic, HTC Legend, HTC Desire and a new iPhone. That is tough competition. I hope they can do it, I really do, but it is looking grim. They need some stellar new hardware and they need to clean up WebOS fast.

I agree. But only because noone has yet to tell people why they should care. Do we really have to wait for apple to educate the masses about every smartphone feature?

Kind of like TIVO. If you never used it you don't care. But once used, its something people said they wonder how they lived without it.

I think Apple is the only company that really gets it when it comes to advertising to the masses.

Still, i'm of the opinion its the hardware moreso than failing to explain multitasking. Especially with their target market.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast