View Poll Results: Do you still have your previous Palm device and why?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES: For backup

36 54.55%
  • YES: Hoping it'll become a collectible

12 18.18%
  • YES: Friend or family member using

10 15.15%
  • YES: But it's broken

4 6.06%
  • NO: Sold it

3 4.55%
  • NO: Cashed it in to Sprint

1 1.52%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Still have my centro which is pretty banged up, but runs flawlessly i wonder how much i would get out of it LOL
    Wow, my old Palm device, a Samsung SPH-i500, isn't even on the buyback list. I didn't want to sell it anyway. I really loved that phone, for 7 long years. Because I just used a slightly pointed index fingernail as a stylus, I've actually had a color touch screen app phone for years.

The sad part is that a side effect of the data migration process bricked my old phone. A newer version of Palm Desktop was required for the migration, when I synced my old phone with that new Palm Desktop, it bricked the phone, even taking the battery out for a few days didn't fix it. It's sad to see an old beloved friend pass on.
    Sprint never cared for the i500 and EOL'd it rather quick when they couldn't come to terms with Samsung for the i550. The treo became Sprint's darling unfortunately.

You could've just done one last sync with your old version of PD and then just exported a csv file over to google and called it a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Sprint never cared for the i500 and EOL'd it rather quick when they couldn't come to terms with Samsung for the i550. The treo became Sprint's darling unfortunately.

You could've just done one last sync with your old version of PD and then just exported a csv file over to google and called it a day.
    I guess it's clear, in retrospect, that I should have simply left the device alone instead of trying to sync it with PD 6. I was.... curious... I'm going to try to sweet talk the guys at the Sprint store into doing some extra special reset magic.

It's a shame about Sprint and the i5XX. My spouse got a Treo 650 at the same time, and I always felt that my device was clearly superior, with it's compact size, clamshell design, and real Graffiti area.
    we all knew we had the superior device. That i550 could've taken me clear to webOS/android or at least straight to the Centro. The real abandonment came when they updated their sms system and left the i500 hanging so we had no clue who was texting us.

So the pinhole hard reset doesn't do the trick to unbrick? pinhole, phone button then hit up. Is it just completely dead?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    palmOS phones? the only ones worth having.... Kyocera 6035, Samsung i500 (best PalmOS phone ever!) and Centro. The Centro is actually my spare battery charger, And the i500 sits on it's cradle at the ready. Remember a nice OEM charging cradle with spare battery charger?

pre pda phone; Palm 3x and Vx. My Palm Professional was sold for the IIIxe which got sold for my Vx which remained as my last PDA before combining it with a phone with the Kyo 6035.
    Crogs! It's been a while. I totally agree with you ... the Samsung i500 was the best PalmOS phone ever! I have missed it so much, but I had to switch to Verizon. The Sprint service is just not good enough where I live.
    Nicky
    Yeah, I'm caught between webOS and Android, and it's coming down to hardware for the win so I've got a Pixi at the moment. No more phones out there with cult status like the i500 (though the Pixi could do that since it's the odd duck of capacitive touchscreens). Had to reminisce with all the talk and popped over to pdaphonehome. There's those few old i500 members that seems to throw in a post here and there. Think that whole website is a bit on the dead side. Jack of all trades sites are losing out to the OS specific ones.

Nothing wrong with Verizon if it's what works. And they get the better webOS phones, at least until June or whenever Palm brings a 2nd gen phone to the table.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    I have a 755P and a Treo 600 still around. And a Sony Clie which I use as an alarm clock and a Garmin iQue. Need to clean house one day.
    TTFN
    we all knew we had the superior device. That i550 could've taken me clear to webOS/android or at least straight to the Centro. The real abandonment came when they updated their sms system and left the i500 hanging so we had no clue who was texting us.
    Heh, my i500 DID take me all the way to WebOS.

So the pinhole hard reset doesn't do the trick to unbrick? pinhole, phone button then hit up. Is it just completely dead?
    Alas yes. Hold power, pinhole, release power on Palm logo, no joy. "Memory is full, HotSYnc backup file is corrupt, or TelOpen is called too many times" but the real highlight is "Reset or otherwise, device may not function normally"

Although I dearly loved that phone, I never did like the way it looked. The Pre I love in every way. I see it as a spiritual descendent of PalmOS. It looks and works differently, but to me it carries the Palm spirit forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    MyBible is an app by Laridian (Laridian Bible Software for iPhone and iPod touch, Windows Mobile, Windows PC, BlackBerry, Palm OS and iPod Devices), and they do not make a version for WebOS. There are bible readers for WebOS, but I haven't seen any for NIV or The Message, my two favorites.
    You might check out the app called "Bible" from lifechurch.tv in the app catalog, has several versions including the NIV and The Message. Doesn't install the whole Bible on your phone, it links to an online source. But it seems pretty responsive without too much of a lag.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo View Post
    I have 2 755P's with non functioning audio jacks. My son uses one as an MP3 player. My Centro is stashed away for the times my Pre does not cut it (e.g. Editing M$ documents).
    Seems like a non functioning audio jack would not be very good if you are using it as an MP3 player...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    You might check out the app called "Bible" from lifechurch.tv in the app catalog, has several versions including the NIV and The Message. Doesn't install the whole Bible on your phone, it links to an online source. But it seems pretty responsive without too much of a lag.
    Thanks for the tip, Jeff. Does it allow highlighting, notes and bookmarks?
    i still have my centro. it's just being used as a spare battery charger. i keep trying to give it to one of my brothers, but they don't care about texting even, and are fine with a plain old flip it open and make a call type phone.
    still have my palm III, kyocera 6135, kyocera 7135 (came with tetris!!), treo 650, treo 755p (which my gf is using), and a centro. gotta love the palm os!
    Yes.
    I still have a Centro and a Treo650.
    I still use the Centro because I have some app. Like SmartLists it is a very good relational dBase and a Planetarium and others. I miss the details in calendar, like the categories as well in contacts.
    Yupper, still got my 700p and centro...... Hopeing the Pre will eventually get to the level my centro is currently at as far a functionality. It's getting there...
    Palm M100 => Treo 700P => Palm Centro => Palm Pre Plus
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    HandSpring Treo 90, Palm1 Treo 650, and Palm Centro

The Centro has been renewed as a bedside clock/alarm/audiobook reader/mp3 player- and in a pinch, a back-up phone.

The 650 does much the same thing in my home office/studio in the basement.

The HandSpring Treo 90 is in the drawer....

and then there are the phones.... so, many, many phones, starting with a Moto Bag phone...
    Got a couple of centros. Too banged up to resell. But never know when i might need a working phone on the fly so i just threw em in a drawer.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by Slocumrd2008 View Post
    Yupper, still got my 700p and centro...... Hopeing the Pre will eventually get to the level my centro is currently at as far a functionality. It's getting there...
    Love the avatar, slocumrd2008!

Yep, that about sums it up - for some fellas anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Seems like a non functioning audio jack would not be very good if you are using it as an MP3 player...
    Yes,
    Still have my 755p, I love that phone, expect for the fact that about twice a year and get a replacement due to the fact the Audio Jack always fails. Today is day 30 of my trial Pre + from Verizon. If the update does not make it out today, I'm taking this back on firing up my 755P again. The Pre +'s down fall for me is the Key Board and the double typing (lettering) that always happens...no matter how many different ways I've tried to type, this always happens..very frustrating during email's.

Sorry Palm---I was hoping for much better.

PS
    Thank you! to all the Homebrew folks and Pre Central people for making my Pre an almost perfect phone--Outstanding!!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast