Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    So the general consensus on this forum is webOS sales are pretty bad. But is this really the case?

These numbers just came out. Letting go of the argument Palm is a small company and doesn't have to sell as many devices, 1.2m webOS devices is nothing compared to RIM's 34m and Apple's 25m.

I, however, see a different story. 6 months after being declared dead by many, Palm launched the Pre and shipped 1.2 million webOS devices in a little over 6 months.

Of course, Apple, being a huge brand worldwide, did it a little quicker and sold 1m 1st gen iPhones by September, after launching in June as well. However, wikipedia tells us they only sold 6.1m iPhones over the first 5 quarters (15 months).

But what about Android? The predicted market leader of the future. Well, Android, with its T-Mobile G1, actually did about the same as Palm. They sold 1m smartphones in 6 months, comparable to the 1.2m webOS devices Palm sold in 2009 (since June that year).

So will Palm sell tens of millions of webOS devices in 2011, just like RIM and Apple did in 2009? I don't know. But I'd say webOS sales aren't that terrible after all. All Palm needs in 2010 is some great new hardware and a couple of new carriers.

Sources:
    Gartner: Apple, Android, and RIM winners in 2009 smartphone growth, Nokia and Symbian still dominate -- Engadget
    Apple sells 1 millionth iPhone, Steve Ballmer not available for comment
    iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    T-Mobile G1 Sells 1 Million Units - PCWorld

EDIT: The title should read 2009, of course..
    That's an interesting read, thanks
    Interesting, thanks.
    If anyone knows what the Street expected Palm to sell and/or what Palm's internal expectations were, that would also put this into context.
    I really think that if palm improve on there hardware... there would definitely see a huge sale on their device,inwhich other carriers would most likely sell their phones. I love my palm pre a lot.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Not bad would i say... 1.2m devices are something.

But i think this year will be a good one for palm. Even saw the first o2 ad on TV in germany yesterday where the palm pre got a little push, hope to see more of it.

the only thing the pre is lacking is advertisement, otherwise it would be well known because it is a great device.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    It's clear that palm was not trying to over saturate the market early on with the PRE, but now webOS has gotten alot better for the overall end user. I expect them to start pushing webOS way more this year. 5 million+ in 2010?
    The addition of Verizon should help increase those numbers. With even more carriers to come.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I read good news in that... & hoping for 5 mill plus this year as well!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    With Palm on all of the big 4 carriers here in the US by the end of the year and the expected growth of the Palm app catalog, I think Palm will see some good growth this year.
    very nice indeed. That I hope meeds expectations for investors. 1.2mil phones in 6 months on one network and on sprint no less. Not bad...
    iPhone sold 4 million iPhones in 2007 from its launch date mid-year. (The truth about the iPhone's sales numbers)

When you consider that Apple is such a recognized brand, and Palm less-so, and the fact that the WebOS devices had Apple to compete with, I think 1.2 million phones in around the same amount of time in 2009 is not so bad at all.

We don't have to sell the most phones, we just have to sell enough for Palm to make money, and for there to be good developer support. I think we're well on our way to that. There's room in the market for several players after all.

Go Palm, Go Apple, Go Android. The more competition there is, the better things would be. If we had one dominant player like we do in the PC world, things would suck.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Don't forget palm is also expanding globally, this is much larger than just the U.S. market. Take just five percent of the total 200Million smartphone users and palm will be around for awhile.
    this is going to be a great year for palm. sprint, verizon, AT&T, and T-mobile, plus global carriers...

WebOS is going to have an amazing year!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I will do MY part - my wife and all three sons are now CONVINCED that they MUST have a Pre!
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    1.2 million is decent , but not according to the Wall Street (does the street exists anymore after the financial collapse in 2008 ?) gamblers who bet on PALM.

However 2 plus million sales would have been made everyone applaud PALM's efforts. PALM need to sell the phones even at cost ASAP. Just to get the buzz going.

Come June , we will see this exact Bofa analyst recommending the stock. He will be saying "We will are expecting an upward trend in PALM sales. PALM is available on all carriers. With more handsets in the works, we are setting the target price t0 be a $20". You should know that these guys will wait till the stock goes down to 6 bucks, then buy a boatload.

Again, they should have sold close to 2 million , if not more. Becasue the whole thing is about comparison.
    1.2 million is disappointing when you consider what Palm had going for them at CES 2009. They stole the show and received the highest buzz since the original iphone.

No they didn't have Apple's brand awareness but Palm wasn't exactly an unknown either. Sprint isn't the number one carrier but they still boasted the second biggest 3G network, cheapest plans (in a recession), and close to 50million subs?

The launch though was subdued. Sprint did make it a flagship but didn't really tell about the device and definitely wasn't verizon like in any marketing. Palm, keeping with their past, went the bizarre route.

Sales actually decreased from the launch quarter to the next. This was with more carriers added such as Bell combined with price cuts.

So while 1.2 million may seem ok for a handset, Palm had much more potential than that IMO. We're past that point where Palm can leverage the buzz they enjoyed. Consumers see hardware first. Before too much nitipicking about the OS, Palm has to make the hardware a winner. Too many defective units, too cheap feeling, pales in comparison to solid phones like the iphone & droid. Especially if Palm isn't going to advertise the software strengths.
    Last edited by cardfan; 02/23/2010 at 08:55 AM.
    Something to remember:

The 1.2 million is global and covers both the Pre and the Pixi. For two devices, launching in Canada, the US, Mexico, the UK, and elsewhere in calendar year 2009, that's...not that great.

For comparison, T-Mobile sold 1 million alone IN THE US of the G1, a much less-desired, less-capable and less-hyped device in the same time period. (EDIT: Forgot to mention...on a smaller carrier, too)

Then, 8 months after that, Android devices in general are just shy of seven million, and by now...well over that total.
    Last edited by mikah912; 02/23/2010 at 09:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kridder0 View Post
    I will do MY part - my wife and all three sons are now CONVINCED that they MUST have a Pre!

im doing my part too! just bought my dad a palm pixi plus, he loves it
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Something to remember:

The 1.2 million is global and covers both the Pre and the Pixi. For two devices, launching in Canada, the US, Mexico, the UK, and elsewhere in calendar year 2009, that's...not that great.
    + 1
    1.2 million is below par.

But also , how accurate are these numbers from Gartner ? Do they know it from PALM. or use their channels to do their research ? My issue with them is if the sample is low , you have a big deviation. Plus who are these 8 million folks using Linux ? And are these Gartner guys serious about 80 million Nokia smartphone (not phones but smartphones ) ?
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

So while 1.2 million may seem ok for a handset, Palm had much more potential than that IMO. We're past that point where Palm can leverage the buzz they enjoyed. Consumers see hardware first. Before too much nitipicking about the OS, Palm has to make the hardware a winner. Too many defective units, too cheap feeling, pales in comparison to solid phones like the iphone & droid. Especially if Palm isn't going to advertise the software strengths.
    Totally agree. The phone should create desire just by looks. Hopefully we will get HD2 type form though I prefer a keyboard. Hopefully they will keep selling few more on ATT and TMobile.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast