1.    #1  
    I was playing around with Internalz this morning and noticed something strange. I have a duplicate applications directory. It appears both contain the same information.

See screenshot below, I can't delete anything because Internalz won't allow it and I can't access the path via USB drive because it's in the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm directory.

I wonder if this could be related to the issue that I'm having where it says application updates are available but doesn't show any when you go to the app catalog?

Last edited by Trekker; 02/23/2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Corrected misspelled word
    That doesn't seem right. Linux wouldn't let you have two identical directories, I don't think it is possible. Unless one has a space after it or something like that.

Hard to tell whats really there without a shell command.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    That doesn't seem right. Linux wouldn't let you have two identical directories, I don't think it is possible.
    Nevertheless, it's there. I have to run to work now so I won't be able to look into it until later tonight. Strange to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I was playing around with Internalz this morning and noticed something strange. I have a duplicate applications directory. It appears both contain the same information.

See screenshot below, I can't delete anything because Internalz won't allow it and I can't access the path via USB drive because it's in the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm directory.

I wonder if this could be related to the issue that I'm having where it says application updates are available but doesn't show any when you go to the app catalog?

There was a problem for a while with Jason's LED Torch package. Check inside one of those two directories, and I bet you find a led torch directory under usr/palm/applications. The one which only has that single package in it is the bogus one.

Ask Jason how to get rid of it :-) I suggested that he release a new version of the LED torch which cleans up the bogus directory automatically.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    If you can get a terminal, or use webos quick install to enter the command:
    ls -al /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/

That will show the full details of whats there. Normally you couldn't really have two directories with the same name, but maybe there is something going on with cryptofs.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll send Jason a quick message then I have to run to work.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    There was a problem for a while with Jason's LED Torch package. Check inside one of those two directories, and I bet you find a led torch directory under usr/palm/applications.
    Yes, I do have his LED torch app installed, I'll check with him and see if there is a way to fix it. Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    If you can get a terminal, or use webos quick install to enter the command:
    ls -al /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/

That will show the full details of whats there. Normally you couldn't really have two directories with the same name, but maybe there is something going on with cryptofs.
    One of the directories will have an extra backslash in it, which is not shown when you list it in Internalz.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    yea, it's a bug with one previous bugged version's ipk. Uninstalling that ipk would fix that.

However, if you're on the current version of LED Torch, you've have already upgraded past that option.

i'll release an update that will fix the problem soon. In the meantime, those additional directories won't affect normal device operations
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    i also have the 2 application directories in the palm folder. but i also have 2 palm folders which have 2 application directories within them...? and 2 usr directories above that? all with identical files within them?
    Quote Originally Posted by videogmike View Post
    i also have the 2 application directories in the palm folder. but i also have 2 palm folders which have 2 application directories within them...? and 2 usr directories above that? all with identical files within them?
    Yep, exactly the same symptoms and cause.

-- Rod
    oh good, i happily await the fix with others
  13.    #13  
    On a related note...the reason I found the duplicate directories was because I was trying to figure out why my Pre said updates were available when I clicked on the updates button, but no actual updates were listed when I checked the app catalog.

Long story short, I had installed "The Helicopter Game" from the app catalog and removed it via Preware instead of using the orange button/click on the app delete method. This seems to have been the cause of the problem.

I re-installed The Helicopter Game, checked for updates on the Pre and this time got the correct "Your phone is up to date" screen instead of the one saying updates were available.

I then deleted The Helicopter Game using the orange button/click on app method, checked for updates and got the correct "your phone is up to date" screen again.

So in this case it appears that installing this particular app from the catalog and removing it via Preware somehow hosed things up.

So, next question...if we install apps from the app catalog, should we always use the orange button/click on app delete method if we want to delete the app? I didn't think it mattered in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    On a related note...the reason I found the duplicate directories was because I was trying to figure out why my Pre said updates were available when I clicked on the updates button, but no actual updates were listed when I checked the app catalog.

Long story short, I had installed "The Helicopter Game" from the app catalog and removed it via Preware instead of using the orange button/click on the app delete method. This seems to have been the cause of the problem.

I re-installed The Helicopter Game, checked for updates on the Pre and this time got the correct "Your phone is up to date" screen instead of the one saying updates were available.

I then deleted The Helicopter Game using the orange button/click on app method, checked for updates and got the correct "your phone is up to date" screen again.

So in this case it appears that installing this particular app from the catalog and removing it via Preware somehow hosed things up.

So, next question...if we install apps from the app catalog, should we always use the orange button/click on app delete method if we want to delete the app? I didn't think it mattered in the past.
    OK, this is good new info. We need to get some detailed debug info from the next person who has this problem.

If we can identify what is causing the app catalog to behave like that, we can make Preware do what is required to avoid it.

-- Rod
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    yea, it's a bug with one previous bugged version's ipk.

i'll release an update that will fix the problem soon. In the meantime, those additional directories won't affect normal device operations
    Thanks Jason, I know you've been busy...would you happen to have an ETA as to when this will be fixed?

The reason I ask is because while I'm troubleshooting other issues I have, I'm using Internalz to check out directories and find that I have a bunch of duplicates. It's hard to tell which is the correct one and which is the duplicate.

For example, In /media/cryptofs/apps/ I have 2 usr directories. I open up either usr directory and I have 2 palm directories. I open up either palm directory and I have 2 applications directories....so things are a bit confusing.

Thanks!
    I just looked because I have the led torch and I have the dual palm and application directories aswell. Rod or jason could one of you release a linux application similar to the "CLEAN UP VKB" one to clean up the extra directories?
  17.    #17  
    Just an update, I ended up using webOS doctor 1.2.1 to clean up the duplicates, then ran webOS doctor 1.4.0 to bring it up to date.

I would still like to see an official fix for this in case the problem happens again or if others out there still have it and don't want to go the doctor route.
    I, also, would like to see an official fix for this as I don't want to doctor my phone and from what Trekker states the Pre would have to be doctored twice.
    Bill
    jason could you write a linux application to cleanup the extra directory? Take your time I know you're busy
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMarine03 View Post
    jason could you write a linux application to cleanup the extra directory? Take your time I know you're busy
    Well, he said he would fix it in an update but only he knows when that will be. I asked for an ETA a few times and got no replies. I even moved some of the comments in this thread over to his Canuck software forum so it would have more visibility.

I know he's busy, juggling school and writing software at the same time and my only complaint with all the great things that he's done is that I think he puts too much on his plate and some things end up taking a back seat to others (like the fix for this issue.)

I was waiting for the fix, never got any answers to my ETA questions, saw that he was putting out new stuff so I figured this issue was a super low priority for him. The multiple duplicate directories may not have been causing any problems but they were annoying and that's why I decided to use webOS Doctor to fix it.

I hope this doesn't come across as overly critical, it's not meant to be. As he's stated before, he has a passion for writing software for phones and I can easily see how there isn't enough time in the day for him to accomplish all his ideas and I do appreciate all he's done for the Homebrew community.