Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well fellow Precentral members I am completely stumped by this one and I need your help. Here's the thing.

My touchscreen and gesture area have recently become completely unresponsive while the phone is disconnected - but plugging a USB cable in wakes the screen up. And get this - it wakes it up even if the other end of the cable isn't connected to anything. Massive case of double-you-tee-eff.

I have included a video to demonstrate (sorry, I know it's blurry but you can see well enough).

Note at the beginning of the video the cable is not plugged into anything.

I am running at 500mhz and I have already tried turning the device on and off. If anyone has any tips or experience with this bug I'd be delighted to hear them.
    Dude, that is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I have no idea what's causing that or how to fix it. I know that doesn't help you at all, but I just had to comment. If it were me, I would probably try to doctor it first, and then if everything is back to factory standard and it still doesn't work, you'll probably have to take it to a Sprint store. That kind of thing is surely covered by the warranty, right?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Dude, that is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. I have no idea what's causing that or how to fix it. I know that doesn't help you at all, but I just had to comment. If it were me, I would probably try to doctor it first, and then if everything is back to factory standard and it still doesn't work, you'll probably have to take it to a Sprint store. That kind of thing is surely covered by the warranty, right?
    I know, tell me about it haha. I am in the process of running a Full Erase and then I'll Doctor it and hope that it works. If not I am insured with O2 so I'll get a new handset (ooo the new handsets have different LED buttons, that'll be weird)

Thanks for the moral support anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Well fellow Precentral members I am completely stumped by this one and I need your help. Here's the thing.

My touchscreen and gesture area have recently become completely unresponsive while the phone is disconnected - but plugging a USB cable in wakes the screen up. And get this - it wakes it up even if the other end of the cable isn't connected to anything. Massive case of double-you-tee-eff.

I have included a video to demonstrate (sorry, I know it's blurry but you can see well enough).

Note at the beginning of the video the cable is not plugged into anything.

I am running at 500mhz and I have already tried turning the device on and off. If anyone has any tips or experience with this bug I'd be delighted to hear them.
    I have a somewhat related issue - my touchscreen mis-registers touches when it is plugged in via usb but works fine when it is unplugged. My issue is much less of a show stopper, but it seems clear that the USB port and that capacitive touch screen can interfere with each other. This is almost certainly a hardware issue and should be covered by your warranty (as long as there is no physical/water damage.)
    an usual reset doesnt help at all?
    I'm really sorry to tell you this, but my fiance's first PrPrPr&#$275$; $developed$ $the$ $exact$ $same$ $issue$ $after$ $about$ $a$ $week$. $The$ $only$ $solution$ $was$ $to$ $return$ $it$ $for$ $exchange$.
    It was happend to me too. I remove battery, plug it back and it works fine.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the input guys - I have tried removing the battery and it didn't help.

@VeeDubb65 I think you may be right about that
    hardware dude ...happend to me on my second pre ..gotta replace it
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
  10.    #10  
    Well, I fixed the problem And the solution is kinda funny.

First I did a Full Erase - no effect.
    Second I ran WebOS Doctor - no effect.
    Third I dropped my Pre from a height onto a hard surface - fixed!

I henceforth recommend always dropping your gadgets onto concrete surfaces if they don't work properly
    Well, I fixed the problem And the solution is kinda funny.

First I did a Full Erase - no effect.
    Second I ran WebOS Doctor - no effect.
    Third I dropped my Pre from a height onto a hard surface - fixed!

I henceforth recommend always dropping your gadgets onto concrete surfaces if they don't work properly
    I would have used the opportunity to get myself a shiny new pre, to each his own I guess...
    about what height did u drop it from? lol
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan9102 View Post
    about what height did u drop it from? lol
    About waist height
    right on whatever does the job
    Wow, very bizarre. Out of curiosity, did you drop it on purpose or accidentally? Were you just really frustrated or what?

PS - Glad you got it working!!
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 02/23/2010 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Added a PS
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Well, apparently you got it fixed and posted about it in the amount of time it took me to write up a reply, so everyone just ignore this post.
    I saw your original post and I appreciate the time you took to research that
    I saw your original post and I appreciate the time you took to research that
    LOL! And then I edited it again. I'm just really anal that way.
    and what about new screatches from the drop?
  19.    #19  
    @Shadowcat: I dropped it on purpose because I figured it was a loose connection that might be knocked back into place. It was a desperate last chance solution :P

In any case, the screen is now unresponsive again since I rebooted my Pre, and I'm not keen to drop my Pre on the ground every time I want to use it so I'll be getting a replacement from O2 tomorrow. We don't have to pay any deductible like you do in the US, it's a slightly different system.

Thanks for the input. I know I get a new one, but I love this one
    Man, that sucks that you have to get a new one. I know just what you mean about not wanting a replacement. I've had mine since two days after launch and it's been fantastic (*knock on wood*). After hearing so many of the stories around here of people who've had to go through multiple replacements, I have absolutely no desire to go through that kind of headache. It's great that you don't have to pay a deductible for a replacement, though. Hopefully, all will go well and you'll have a swanky new Pre.

On another note, I had a funny mental image of you dropping your phone every time you wanted to use it. It made me giggle.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast