Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I would say it needed a good firmware update or refresh.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    We don't have to pay any deductible like you do in the US, it's a slightly different system.
    I don't know about Verizon but on Sprint, we don't pay a deductible for a replacement as long as the problem was not caused by accidental abuse like dropping the phone or water damage, etc. We do have to pay at least $4.00 a month for that insurance though. $3.00 a month extra if you want to cover the accidental damage plus you would pay a $100 deductible to get a replacement phone if accidental damage is found. In your situation, if you were on Sprint, you would pay no deductible as long as there was no visible physical damage showing on the exterior of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by robbielp539 View Post
    I would say it needed a good firmware update or refresh.
    most likely the usb port is bent in a way where its putting pressure on the inner part of the screnn .... and when you plug the usb jack in the phone it "straightens" the port where theres no more pressure on the screen.

Hardware.. new device.... or crack that baby open , grab a soldering iron and get to work!!! jus lyk ma daddy used ta say
    Strange issue indeed. As for the deductible, if it's a manufacturing defect or a hardware defect under normal use, Sprint does not charge a deductible.

Also, Shadowcat, love the avatar.
    Third I dropped my Pre from a height onto a hard surface - fixed!
    The good ol' 4 foot drop. That reminds me of how we used to 'fix' dead hard drives back in the day.
    I'm just curious about the whole deductible/no deductible thing. This won't actually apply to SqyArc since he's in the UK and on O2, but for my own personal understanding - the only reason that I brought up a deductible in the first place is because SqyArc said in his second post that he is "insured with O2". I then started to write a post (which I changed when it looked like he got it fixed) advising him to make sure to use the warranty, not the insurance. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you take your Pre into a Sprint store and they claim that something is NOT a manufacturing defect, you would then have to use your insurance (if you have it), which does have a $100 deductible, right? It's a minor but important distinction when talking to customer service - if they refuse to see something as a manufacturing defect (and we've all heard those stories!), then it won't be covered under the warranty, and you will have to pay a deductible. Or am I just completely confused?

Quote Originally Posted by DaHui623 View Post
    Also, Shadowcat, love the avatar.
    Thanks! I'm rather partial to it too.
    Hi I had exactly the same problem. I had the pre in Oct and it started doing this in January. There seems to be an issue with the cable connection onto the pre. I took the phone into my o2 shop and they sent it off, I got the phone back (7 days later) with a whole list of parts they had replaced and touch wood all is fine no problems since. I have noticed that the usb cable connection is now alot snugger.
    Quote Originally Posted by philbowuk View Post
    Hi I had exactly the same problem. I had the pre in Oct and it started doing this in January. There seems to be an issue with the cable connection onto the pre. I took the phone into my o2 shop and they sent it off, I got the phone back (7 days later) with a whole list of parts they had replaced and touch wood all is fine no problems since. I have noticed that the usb cable connection is now alot snugger.
    By the way I had never dropped the phone and had treated it like a new born baby!!!!
    Well, I fixed the problem And the solution is kinda funny.

First I did a Full Erase - no effect.
    Second I ran WebOS Doctor - no effect.
    Third I dropped my Pre from a height onto a hard surface - fixed!

I henceforth recommend always dropping your gadgets onto concrete surfaces if they don't work properly
    "Fixed for now...", I think you mean. I would get it back in F U mode and take it back to be replaced. Sounds like a hardware issue and those only get worse over time.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    if they refuse to see something as a manufacturing defect (and we've all heard those stories!), then it won't be covered under the warranty, and you will have to pay a deductible. Or am I just completely confused?
    You are correct. I brought mine in for a replacement a couple months ago because the mic was not working (because of the headphone jack issue many people have encountered). Sprint techs acknowledged that it was a hardware issue but said they could not authorize the use of the ERP ($4 insurance-no deductible) because there was a small chunk of the plastic bezel missing around the usb port (the USB cover was still there). I told them that that chunk got broken off months before and I did not have any problems with the mic up until a day before I came in. They said sorry, any physical damage on the exterior of the phone automatically overrides any internal hardware issue and is considered not eligible for replacement under the ERP insurance. They then said however that it was eligible for the TEP ($7 insurance w/$100 deductible). Luckily I had the TEP coverage so I got it replaced through the Phone Claim program. Had a replacement shipped to my workplace and it was in my hands the next day!

In other words keep the pre as well protected as possible, put on screen protectors, install any kind of covers or use a pouch and don't let it get anywhere near water! If later on you have any type of hardware issue and you have at least the ERP $4 insurance then you should be able to get a replacement without a deductible.
    you could try opening the slider, spraying in some canned air thru the back and then close it slightly hard a few times.

there might be some dust on the connector behind the slider. this worked for me! its been a few weeks now.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12